This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Today and all the days until the end of days.

(Okay that might be a little over-dramatic but you know.)

Comment

These statements should always elicit a (reasonable) "I'll believe it when I see it " response but I think this might be the watch to finally make me a one watch guy, for real.

I initially wanted a "one watch" that was quartz because autos are sensitive/finicky/inaccurate and service is expensive and frankly, I've had less-than-stellar results from luxury service centers (Omega... I'm looking at you). But Rolex makes probably the best, most rugged workhorse mechanical watch movements out there, accurate to +2/-2, their service is excellent, and the service interval is ten years, so that largely ameliorates all my concerns about wearing a mechanical watch.

Becoming a "one watch" guy would also require me to eventually pare down and sell my GMT Master IIc... a prospect that was hurting my heart a bit. I'm not sentimentally attached to that watch in particular, but I am sentimentally attached to the idea of owning a Rolex. My dad has a 5513 Sub that he's owned, and beat the daylights out of, since he purchased it new as a USMC officer in the mid '70s. That watch, despite having no collectible value since the original (destroyed) dial and hands were replaced during service some time ago, is my true grail watch and the only object I care about inheriting someday. I also just have a helluva lot of respect for what Rolex does and how it does it. So, yes, I'm a shameless fanboy.

I picked up the GMT a couple (almost three) years back to be a "one watch" but it never really fit that role for me... it just wears too big and too heavy (curse you, maxi case!) and with the ceramic bezel, polished center links, and date cyclop, it is also just a bit too blingy looking, especially since it already looks oversized on my wrist.

This Oyster Perpetual feels small and subtle and understated and perfectly suited to my wrist in a way the GMT never did. So, I am very happy. Once my life settles down after the job transition I will start taking stock of my collection and seeing what I want to sell. I might hang onto my Speedy Pro Tintin because of the general Speedy Pro history but right now I don't see any further reason to hang onto my other big ticket pieces: Quartz AT, Speedy Pro Racing, GMT Master IIc, or Nomos Orion Weiss.

I've got a bunch of other, less expensive watches that I will start paring down as well. I'm not hurting for funds and selling watches can be a time suck so I'll probably take my time and list a few at a time.

If anyone's had their eye on anything I've posted around here, let me know. Can't promise I'll be selling whatever it is you want to buy but I am a bit twitchy about selling to total strangers so if I can work out a deal for a regular member here that is my preference.
      Ben

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] - Very nice Alpina! I like the spacing on the dial.
        [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] - Congrats on the OP! Those can work as a "one watch" or fit nicely into a collection.

Comment

Today and all the days until the end of days.

(Okay that might be a little over-dramatic but you know.)

that is a damn nice watch. congrats

Comment

If anyone's had their eye on anything I've posted around here, let me know. Can't promise I'll be selling whatever it is you want to buy but I am a bit twitchy about selling to total strangers so if I can work out a deal for a regular member here that is my preference.
            as I shamelessly go back over every post in this thread to see what I might want...

Comment

I picked up one of the Huckberry Armogen Le Mans Chronographs after seeing it for a while on the front page. Not quite an Alpina (gorgeous watch, by the way [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]), but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
                I picked up one of the Huckberry Armogen Le Mans Chronographs after seeing it for a while on the front page. Not quite an Alpina (gorgeous watch, by the way [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]), but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                dang, that is nice

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                  dang, that is nice

Thanks. Its kind of silly, but one of my favorite parts about the watch is the strap. I've never really had any interest in rally straps or any other sort of perforated watch bands, but I kind of like this one a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by C.Dubs View Post
                    Thanks. Its kind of silly, but one of my favorite parts about the watch is the strap. I've never really had any interest in rally straps or any other sort of perforated watch bands, but I kind of like this one a lot.
                    It isnt really that silly. the watch strap touches more of your skin and has more over all surface than the dial itself. People really underestimate the impact of a good strap. My real-world proof of that is the wife test. Almost every time she has asked me "is that a new watch" it is actually just a new strap.

Comment

as I shamelessly go back over every post in this thread to see what I might want...
                      Haha I was doing the same thing! I'm officially just window shopping for watches now. Definitely looks like I will be moving in the fall at this point so I'm on a spending freeze for the foreseeable future.

Comment

It isnt really that silly. the watch strap touches more of your skin and has more over all surface than the dial itself. People really underestimate the impact of a good strap. My real-world proof of that is the wife test. Almost every time she has asked me "is that a new watch" it is actually just a new strap.
                        Agreed 100%. It's just a strap has never been a point of consideration for a watch purchase for me. If I buy a watch and don't like the strap, I'll replace it. With this watch, it's been interesting to me (silly) how much I've focused on the band rather than the actual watch (which I also like quite a bit).

And it's funny, I've had the same "new watch? no, new strap." conversation with my wife, too.

Comment

Trying to find a more casual option for the Sarb so its on the leather from my nezumi. A little more red in this than I wanted but I am getting there.

Comment

Water heater failed yesterday, so instead of a half day at the office it's G-Shock time while I run to Lowes to drop $500 I wasn't planning on...

Comment

Conversely, whenever a non-watch person asks me if I'm wearing a new watch (and I am and I don't necessarily care for them to know about it) I can usually just tell them, "Nah, just a new strap" and they unquestioningly accept it
                              Ben

Comment

Conversely, whenever a non-watch person asks me if I'm wearing a new watch (and I am and I don't necessarily care for them to know about it) I can usually just tell them, "Nah, just a new strap" and they unquestioningly accept it
                                Stealing this strategy.

Comment

Working...
                                X