This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    For the record the dog in the background of my pic is my own, reasonably well-behaved parti schnauzer.

We aren't biased against labs... not against well-behaved ones, anyway.

Petition to start a new thread called watches and dogs so we can get them all in the same place
    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

Comment

I would contribute if such a thread were to exist.

GS and an out of focus Labradoodle.

Comment

End-of-year bonus time + starting a new life chapter (concluding my first real job and starting my "dream" job) + quest to achieve "one watch" status = poor decisions have been made.

Updates to come at a later date.
        Ben

Comment

End-of-year bonus time + starting a new life chapter (concluding my first real job and starting my "dream" job) + quest to achieve "one watch" status = poor decisions have been made.

Updates to come at a later date.
          The Victorinox didn't last long, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
            The Victorinox didn't last long, huh?
            I like the VSA... and in a way, it inspired the watch I currently have incoming... but I was just having a hard time dealing with letting go of my GMT Master IIc for sentimental reasons.

If you are a really good sleuth that would probably give you all the info you need to guess the exact make and model of what I purchased.
            Ben

Comment

I like the VSA... and in a way, it inspired the watch I currently have incoming... but I was just having a hard time dealing with letting go of my GMT Master IIc for sentimental reasons.

If you are a really good sleuth that would probably give you all the info you need to guess the exact make and model of what I purchased.
              I know, I know! At least assuming you went how you were leaning...

EDIT: How long before it comes in?

Comment

Overnight shipping was only $15, so theoretically, tomorrow
                Ben

Comment

Overnight shipping was only $15, so theoretically, tomorrow
                  No brainer on that then -- excited to see in person pics! My most recent purchase is in either today or tomorrow, too, but yours may be more exciting!

Comment

Oooh I'm excited to see some pics! I have been planning on saving my bonus as I might be moving next fall. Another side of me really wants to drop it on a speedmaster, I'm worried your decision may rub off on me!

Comment

Sarb033 on a eukit perlon. The brown is darker than I really wanted and it oddly makes the dial look a little brown.

Comment

My newest acquisition came a day early....

Purchased second hand from another WUS member for a good discount of the original price. Came with an original unworn stainless bracelet and a near new custom brown strap (which it's on in the pics). I typically prefer bracelets but may roll with the leather for a bit, it's super comfortable. Outside of my g-shock, my first quartz watch in my collection.

Love the panda dial and think the Alpina finishing is nice and crisp. The dial detail and finishing is extremely nice for the price. Nice enough to wear to work, but obviously leans casual.

Only issue is whether I get my Maratac large pilot fixed at this point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice... I do remember you mentioning Alpina at some point in the past but I would have bet money on Tudor (or GS after you mentioned quartz). I've never had an Alpina but I've owned/handled a few Frederique Constant watches (Alpina's parent company) and thought the build quality was really impressive for the price range.

Quartz + chrono is also a great way to go if you don't love the aesthetic of the ticking quartz second hand.

FWIW I think leather is a better complement to a pilot watch like this.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                            Sarb033 on a eukit perlon. The brown is darker than I really wanted and it oddly makes the dial look a little brown.

Really digging the combo. I like that the dial looks a little brown alongside that strap.

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] thats a slick chrono you got there!

Comment

Very nice... I do remember you mentioning Alpina at some point in the past but I would have bet money on Tudor (or GS after you mentioned quartz). I've never had an Alpina but I've owned/handled a few Frederique Constant watches (Alpina's parent company) and thought the build quality was really impressive for the price range.

Quartz + chrono is also a great way to go if you don't love the aesthetic of the ticking quartz second hand.

FWIW I think leather is a better complement to a pilot watch like this.
                              I don't know ticking seconds hands, so this is a nice way to avoid that issue while getting a nice looking chrono. I'm not about to get a new ceramic Daytona anytime soon, so this is one way I can get a panda dial. Also a big fan of the big date.

As for Tudor/GS, I'm trying to be on a bit of a spending hold as to large purchases and limiting my watch purchases to one per year at least. Got my Speedmaster earlier this year, but figured this (a secondary market opportunity that doesn't come along too often and being a relatively much smaller purchase price) was ok. For whatever reason, I felt better grabbing the Alpina used vs. new--not sure why, but felt better than losing the off-the-lot depreciation maybe?

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                              [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] thats a slick chrono you got there!
                              Thanks!

Comment

Evidently I'm not much of a sleuth. All I could possibly come up with was a Rolex Explorer II, to maybe scratch both itches. Looking forward to the big reveal!

Comment

Working...
                                X