This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
    In other watch-related news, on the off chance that I could get a Sub (the new 41mm version) from my AD (my SA implied as much), what are y'all thoughts on date vs no date?
    From a practical point of view, watches are mostly jewelry - your computer screen, your phone, your tablet all show the date. If you’re actually diving, you probably don’t the date either, right? So which one do YOU think looks better? As for me, I’m a no-date guy when it comes to tool watches....

Mark

Comment

I've never owned a watch that cost more than $200, but I can see both sides of this question. On the one hand, pun intended, if you wear the watch while diving, the most important piece of information you're getting by looking at the watch comes from the bezel. You don't need to see what day it is, just how long you've been under. If you wear the watch in the office, you probably check it a few times to look at the date when you're filling out paperwork or planning ahead on the calendar.
      On the other hand, the story is that the head of Rolex at the time wanted the oyster case to look great underwater and also on land, i e in everyday scenarios. So it's probably not a tool only watch.
      My opinion is do what makes you happy

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
        In other watch-related news, on the off chance that I could get a Sub (the new 41mm version) from my AD (my SA implied as much), what are y'all thoughts on date vs no date?
        I have date and no-date subs in the box and enjoy them all. Like motosacto, I probably favor the no-dates due to their clean lines and deep history, but both styles are classics. You can't go wrong with either. As andrewrg says, go with the one that makes you most happy.
        Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

I went with a no-date sub because a) I knew I'd never be able to read the date without my glasses and b) I don't wear the sub often enough to keep the automatic movement going. So I'd be constantly updating the date window whenever I wanted to wear the watch.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
            I don't wear the sub often enough to keep the automatic movement going. So I'd be constantly updating the date window whenever I wanted to wear the watch.
            I've always wondered. For all the people who own more than one automatic watch, how do you keep them all going? Do you use a winding box? Or just wind them every night? or what?

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

I've always wondered. For all the people who own more than one automatic watch, how do you keep them all going? Do you use a winding box? Or just wind them every night? or what?
              I wind mine in the morning when I put them on. I have 2 inherited quartz watches (Seamaster and Breitling Shark) that I occasionally grab when I don’t feel like setting my watch, but it’s rare. It only takes a minute or two to wind and set a watch.

Comment

I have enough winder pillows for 10 watches but I only use one of them - for a Longines moonphase. With 8 different hands and separate windows for day, month, and the moonphase, that's the one watch I know I wouldn't wear nearly as often if I had to set it every time from scratch.

For my other autos, over the years I've migrated toward finding that balance between wearing them often enough to keep them running well and not running them needlessly & risk premature component wear.

Is it a valid concern? Is the difference even meaningful? Who knows... it may take years - or decades - but mechanicals do eventually wear out. I do most of my own watch maintenance and my workbench is full enough without adding to the backlog unnecessarily. In any case, selecting and setting a watch has become an enjoyable part of my morning routine.
                Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

I really do appreciate everyone’s input on the date vs no date sub debate. Decided to go with the no date for a cleaner look but will probably be a couple more months before I put things in motion. Will report back once I get it (hopefully)!

Comment

I considered getting a winder box at one point but instead have just adopted the system of wearing the same watch for a week straight and then rotate. That way I wind once at the beginning of the week. Unless I get an annual or perpetual calendar or something terribly inconvenient to adjust if run down, I doubt I’ll ever get a winder.

Comment

I have to set the time and wind them each time. When I do have an auto watch all set up, I will usually wear the watch for a week or more consistently. That way I am not always setting the time of the watch.

I did own a winder box, but I didn't really like it so I ended up selling the box after two mos. Just wasn't for me.

Comment

Wow - it's been more than a month since the last post. Here's one: My Orvis-by-Hamilton field watch. This example was probably made in the early 1980s, so I bet it's pushing 40 years old. Sports an ETA 2750 handwound movement that has probably never been serviced and is running around 10 seconds slow per day. It's a little jewel for sure...

Mark

Comment

Comment

DJ + Armoury 3PB

Comment

Lovely watch kongmw I have been lacking in my watch wearing since the pandemic hit. I've been wearing my Garmin daily as it gives me reminders to get up and move. Otherwise I keep my ass planted at my desk.

Comment

About two months ago I pondered on the question of a date vs. no date sub and eventually went to my SA to "register my interest" for a new Sub no date. I was honestly shocked by how fast it came in...
                                So here goes:

Figure i'm going to take a break from Rolex for a bit and look around at other brands *cough* Speedy *cough* (until I inevitably get pulled back in by the 36mm Explorer)...

Comment

Working...
                                X