This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Last summer I made a serious assessment of my watch buying habits and realized a significant part of my desire to continue buying and owning expensive watches was this sort of "keeping up with the Joneses" sense that I needed to own things that were unassailably, horologically pure… in-house movements, from brands respected by watch snobs, made to the highest standards of precision, etc. Thus my serial acquisition of mostly Rolex watches. But having that much money tied up into objects that were ultimately still just imperfect, human-made objects worn on my wrist to tell the time also gave me a lot of anxiety. So I decided to divest of my most expensive pieces and enjoy cheap and mid-range watches, warts and all, instead.

I've still got an early '90s DJ, my Grand Seiko GMT, and an Omega PO. I don't wear any of them and will eventually sell them once I get around to it. Otherwise my collection these days is mostly Casios (G-Shock and Oceanus), Seikos, and Citizens with a Hamilton Khaki field and Nomos Orion rounding out the pack.

[Edit] TL;DR, basically I Marie Kondo'd expensive watch collecting out of my life because it was not bringing me joy.

I really enjoyed this post. I could see how collecting all these could bring anxiety. Thanks for being honest and congrats on your new path.

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Last summer I made a serious assessment of my watch buying habits and realized a significant part of my desire to continue buying and owning expensive watches was this sort of "keeping up with the Joneses" sense that I needed to own things that were unassailably, horologically pure… in-house movements, from brands respected by watch snobs, made to the highest standards of precision, etc. Thus my serial acquisition of mostly Rolex watches. But having that much money tied up into objects that were ultimately still just imperfect, human-made objects worn on my wrist to tell the time also gave me a lot of anxiety. So I decided to divest of my most expensive pieces and enjoy cheap and mid-range watches, warts and all, instead.

I've still got an early '90s DJ, my Grand Seiko GMT, and an Omega PO. I don't wear any of them and will eventually sell them once I get around to it. Otherwise my collection these days is mostly Casios (G-Shock and Oceanus), Seikos, and Citizens with a Hamilton Khaki field and Nomos Orion rounding out the pack.

[Edit] TL;DR, basically I Marie Kondo'd expensive watch collecting out of my life because it was not bringing me joy.
      Thats a stunning move. You were all up in that Rolex catalog. Good for you on the self examination. I have avoided going above a certain level because of the anxiety it would bring to have that much of my discretionary income tied into a single thing.

Comment

• I know - super low priority these days - but I've had some "time" on my hands and surfing watches provides a bit of a distraction. I have a little watch collection, and until recently I was on the hunt for a new one or two. Similar to the above, I'm stepping back a bit. For me, it's a realization that I have watches in my collection that do give me joy - I just have to remember to break them out and enjoy them. Low cost accessories can help, too.

Thus today's post. I have decided that I really like tropical-style rubber straps - I put one on a zodiac and it has become my daily watch for the last several weeks. I managed to find an 18mm strap from Joseph Bonnie (lots of 20mm and 22mm straps out there, many fewer options for vintage watches). So I got one in blue. I put it on my ca 1958 Seamaster 14710 this weekend. This Seamaster was definitely a sport watch in its day - and similar in size to a Rolex Air King 5500. Here it is with the blue strap...

Mark

Comment

• Very nice combo. Find joy where you can these days!

Comment

• Originally posted by carlitos View Post
            I am thinking of upgrading my field watch, I have my eye on the field standard by Weiss watch company in LA.
            Good news. I have been watching for this thing on the used watch forums for quite some time, and ended up getting an amazing deal on a new one. Manual wind, 38mm, “latte” dial, brown horween leather strap with white stitching. This watch brings me joy.

Comment

Good news. I have been watching for this thing on the used watch forums for quite some time, and ended up getting an amazing deal on a new one. Manual wind, 38mm, “latte” dial, brown horween leather strap with white stitching. This watch brings me joy.

That’s a beauty!

There are some watches going for really low prices on the forums right now. Super tempted!!!

Comment

• Ben - I've sort of been there. I don't necessarily try to keep up with the Joneses but I like to try everything for myself and once I own it, I'm kind of over it. I think this goes back to me as a kid when my parents couldn't afford much. Now that I'm an adult I buy it for myself but once I have it, I realize I don't really need it or want it.

I've actively been trying to cut back on the watch habit as it's rather expensive and wasteful. I have 4-5 watches currently and that's more than I'll ever need, I'll always keep my Sub and my Globemaster most likely but may eventually sell off the other few.

Comment

Those are super cool. Los Angeles, CA.
                  Mark

Comment

• [MENTION=15630]Loafer28[/MENTION] as always, a very nice looking watch!

[MENTION=15867]carlitos[/MENTION] nice looking Weiss watch. Glad to hear the watch brings you joy. In my mind, that is the most important thing for any watch or piece of clothing. That the item bring you joy.

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] interesting reading about your self reflection. I can totally relate, and not just related to watches. I find it easy to get caught in keeping up with the Jones's. Be it watches, shoes, bikes, etc. Congrats on recognizing this and deciding to do something about it!

Comment

• Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

• Today's work-at-home companion

Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X