Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you entertained the vintage market? I once owned a vintage constellation and a Seamaster that I wish I had never sold.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Thanks After choosing to take my leave from the expensive watch game, it has been fun to continue to find pieces that give me as much joy to wear as a Rolex or Omega for a fraction of the price.
      Wait, what?? When did this happen? So what do you have left in the collection now?

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        Wait, what?? When did this happen? So what do you have left in the collection now?
        Last summer I made a serious assessment of my watch buying habits and realized a significant part of my desire to continue buying and owning expensive watches was this sort of "keeping up with the Joneses" sense that I needed to own things that were unassailably, horologically pure… in-house movements, from brands respected by watch snobs, made to the highest standards of precision, etc. Thus my serial acquisition of mostly Rolex watches. But having that much money tied up into objects that were ultimately still just imperfect, human-made objects worn on my wrist to tell the time also gave me a lot of anxiety. So I decided to divest of my most expensive pieces and enjoy cheap and mid-range watches, warts and all, instead.

I've still got an early '90s DJ, my Grand Seiko GMT, and an Omega PO. I don't wear any of them and will eventually sell them once I get around to it. Otherwise my collection these days is mostly Casios (G-Shock and Oceanus), Seikos, and Citizens with a Hamilton Khaki field and Nomos Orion rounding out the pack.

[Edit] TL;DR, basically I Marie Kondo'd expensive watch collecting out of my life because it was not bringing me joy.
        Ben

Comment

Expensive watches are ... expensive. So I get Ben's shift to watches that bring joy rather than try to meet the demands of the internet. I tend to lean towards workhorse tools of the past - bamboo and fiberglass fly rods, Harris tweed, etc. I have an Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, but it's a totally "garden variety" version from the 90's rather than one of the many many many commemorative editions. It gives me joy so I'm keeping it.

Lately I've been wearing a new Zodiac SuperSeaWolf that is itself an homage to the actual tool watches like the one my dad bought at a PX in the UK back in the early 1970's. I decided to break out my dad's and give it some wrist time this weekend:

Here are the old and new together:

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
            Expensive watches are ... expensive. So I get Ben's shift to watches that bring joy rather than try to meet the demands of the internet. I tend to lean towards workhorse tools of the past - bamboo and fiberglass fly rods, Harris tweed, etc. I have an Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, but it's a totally "garden variety" version from the 90's rather than one of the many many many commemorative editions. It gives me joy so I'm keeping it.

Lately I've been wearing a new Zodiac SuperSeaWolf that is itself an homage to the actual tool watches like the one my dad bought at a PX in the UK back in the early 1970's. I decided to break out my dad's and give it some wrist time this weekend:

Here are the old and new together:

While the new one is very nice, I like your dad’s better. So much character! Wear them both with great joy.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
                    While the new one is very nice, I like your dad’s better. So much character! Wear them both with great joy.
                    I so agree. I've been stalking those vintage Sea Wolfs for a while. They're so unique.
                    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                    --Jason Isbell

Comment

Selling off just about my entire collection to fund this bad boy. Had a really big year after a couple of really down years so felt I deserved it and wanted to commemorate the big occasion(s)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by Scofield; March 12, 2020, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Ooooh that's a beauty, congrats man!!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                          I so agree. I've been stalking those vintage Sea Wolfs for a while. They're so unique.
                          They are. When I first discovered watches, I remember my dad had one he bought in the 70’s. I asked him about it (hoping it was a Rolex or something) and was a bit disappointed when he pulled it out of a drawer.

I’m of a different mind now - it is super cool. Turns out my local repair person has a large stock of original Zodiac parts and was able to put the movement back into tip top shape. So it’s in rotation for sure.

They’re still out there, but prices have about doubled in the last 5 years or so. Still a bargain compared to the other two OG dive watches - Rolex and Blancpain...
                          Mark

Comment

Comment

My Panerai

My Luminor Marina with metal bracelet .... Favorite watch of my collection.
                              I get more compliments than my other watches.

Last edited by hsudds; March 13, 2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Sometimes cheap watches are fun too!

Comment

Working...
                                X