This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sose View Post
    If you decide to sell this one, let me know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not to sound like a broken record, since I also let [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] know the same when he was looking, but I had a good experience with WatchVaultNYC when I bought my Speedy (used). Typically he's got good stock of a variety of Speedy models at different prices, so you can find one that you like. Pricing is a little high, but he's open to reasonable offers.

http://www.watchvaultnyc.com/Speedma...onal_c_35.html

Comment

After all of the searching and whatnot, I won't be selling this watch anytime soon. It is definitely my favourite watch. If I didn't have some of the others in my collection (and shown here) I'd likely never take the Speedy off.

Regarding WatchVaultNYC, I would have liked to deal with them except when I was looking for my watch he didn't have any Speedy's in stock that fit with what I was after. I have though been going back to his site from time to time, looking in on Seamasters. Still not ready to do anything about it yet though. I think I'll be enjoying the Speedy for a while.

Comment

dialing up some Color at the US Open

Comment

New Steinhart and old Steinhart on new mesh.

I bleached the bezel on the new Steinhart last night. The results turned out a bit uneven but I don't mind. I think it will look pretty cool once I get it on my brown suede strap (whenever that arrives).

Got the new mesh in today and tried it on the Ocean One Vintage. I'm not ordinarily a bracelet guy but I actually think it looks best on the stock bracelet so far, so I put the mesh on the GMT instead, and may ultimately put it on one of my Orient Rays.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            New Steinhart and old Steinhart on new mesh.

I bleached the bezel on the new Steinhart last night. The results turned out a bit uneven but I don't mind. I think it will look pretty cool once I get it on my brown suede strap (whenever that arrives).

Got the new mesh in today and tried it on the Ocean One Vintage. I'm not ordinarily a bracelet guy but I actually think it looks best on the stock bracelet so far, so I put the mesh on the GMT instead, and may ultimately put it on one of my Orient Rays.
            Nice, the bleached bezel looks cool and goes well with the vintage aesthetic of the watch.
            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Back with the Speedy.

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] couple of questions. Why did you bleach the bezel? And how did you go about doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

Back with the Speedy.

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] couple of questions. Why did you bleach the bezel? And how did you go about doing it?

1. To get a more uniformly vintage look (the dial is a "tropical" brownish charcoal grey and the lume is "old radium" orange so the fresh black bezel looks a bit off to me). Plus it just wasn't a high risk thing - even if I totally effed up the bezel insert, I could buy a new one direct from Steinhart for like $15.

2. Most people will remove the bezel and bleach, or even just buy a separate bezel to bleach and swap them, but I was too lazy for that so I copied the method shown below:

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; September 2, 2016, 01:28 PM.
                Ben

Comment

Just got a package of new Natos for my old Seamaster. Thought I'd annoy my coworkers today.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Comment

And each time I see [MENTION=15641]mongoose[/MENTION] and his watch I'm tempted to pull the trigger on a nice used one...

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] thanks for the explanation.
                    Last edited by DocDave; September 2, 2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Seiko 5 today....

Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                      Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                      --Jason Isbell

Comment

Steinhart OOV again. I did a second round of bleaching and the bezel is now slightly lighter than the dial (though it doesn't show super well in photos). Very happy with these results. Now I need to get some scuffs on this thing to age it up!

Ben

Comment

Been looking for a dress watch for a bit, and I finally settled on this one. I have it on a mesh strap, but I also have the original black leather strap for the (very) rare occasion when I might need to be in a tuxedo. The watch is listed as being 40mm wide, but it wear fairly small; the side of the watch slope in on the front, so the watch face is smaller than 40mm. It's not super-thin, but it's not chunky either.

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] Really digging the end results! Glad you're enjoying the new watch.

[MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION] Visodate is a real stunner and kudos to the lighting for the wrist shot. My skills with the camera start and end with clicking a button.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION]

Another pic to show off the bezel contrast....

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull
                                [MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION]...kudos to the lighting for the wrist shot. My skills with the camera start and end with clicking a button.
                                It really wasn't anything that fancy. I was driving around yesterday evening and noticed that the sunshine was creating some interesting lighting effects in the car and on my watch. I stopped the car, rotated my wrist around to minimize the reflections in the crystal and took a picture with my phone camera. My camera phone allows some simple editing, so I cropped the picture and added a "vignette" effect (darkening of the corners of the photo to emphasize the center portion.) Simple.

Really, the most difficult part of taking photos with a cellphone camera is just making sure that the subject is in focus. It's frustrating to take a photo of another person or oneself, and then find out later that the camera focused on the trees in the background and the subjects face is out-of-focus.
                                Last edited by TMann; September 3, 2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X