This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
    Except the gym is probably the one place it doesnt matter if you look nice or even what time it is. Not to mention it has major potential for getting in the way and getting damaged
    Why does time not matter to you in the gym? It matters to me, just like it matters in most situations.

I've worn watches in the gym for decades and never damaged one or had it get in the way.

I guess with some kind of fighting the watch could be damaged. Have you ever banged your wrists in the gym? Other than shins perhaps with deadlifts, I've never bruised or seriously scratched myself in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
      Why does time not matter to you in the gym? It matters to me, just like it matters in most situations.

I've worn watches in the gym for decades and never damaged one or had it get in the way.

I guess with some kind of fighting the watch could be damaged. Have you ever banged your wrists in the gym? Other than shins perhaps with deadlifts, I've never bruised or seriously scratched myself in the gym.

i usually go to the gym at the end of the day when it's the last thing i have to do and take my time. if the bar slips during squats, it can cause wrist damage, as can changing weights or some incidental contact with hapless other gym members. i personally wouldn't risk it

Comment

No one is saying time doesn't matter in the gym - I think a lot of people have phones for that, or you know, the many clocks on the wall in the gym. As with [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] I wouldn't wear my good watch to the gym either. And if I'm wearing wrist straps, a watch would get in the way anyway.

Comment

I wear my gshock to the gym for timing purposes--prefer a digital for my intervals and rest period timing, as well as if I use a stopwatch, etc. I have on occasion taken it off for an exercise then put it back on for the rest. I've only accidentally worn one of my nice watches to the gym, but YMMV depending on what you're doing that day.

Can we go back to posting photos of watches now?

Comment

Workin at home today with an Invicta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
              No one is saying time doesn't matter in the gym
              Read:
              Originally posted by Scofield View Post
              the gym is probably the one place it doesnt matter if you look nice or even what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                Read:
                I read that in the context of relying on a wristwatch but, fair enough. Back to pictures of watches...

Comment

So…I think that I am going to get a Hamilton Khaki Field watch, one of the 38mm versions. Can someone enlighten me on these? I know that there are multiple versions: quartz, mechanical and automatic, plus the ones for L.L. Bean, etc.

Do you folks on the forum have a favorite?
                  Are all of the 38mm watches the same size?
                  How is the most recent Khaki Field Mechanical different from the previous version?
                  How is the lume on these watches? Is it better on the new Field Mechanical?
                  Is there any difference in the shock-resistance between the mechanical (wind-up) version versus the automatic?

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                    So…I think that I am going to get a Hamilton Khaki Field watch, one of the 38mm versions. Can someone enlighten me on these? I know that there are multiple versions: quartz, mechanical and automatic, plus the ones for L.L. Bean, etc.

Do you folks on the forum have a favorite?
                    Are all of the 38mm watches the same size?
                    How is the most recent Khaki Field Mechanical different from the previous version?
                    How is the lume on these watches? Is it better on the new Field Mechanical?
                    Is there any difference in the shock-resistance between the mechanical (wind-up) version versus the automatic?
                    recently did a deep dive on this.

These are my favorites:
                    https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h70455553.html
                    https://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-watch-h70455533.html

If I had to choose I'd pick the silver, since I think the black gets a bit "boring"

These are both 47mm lug to lug, some of the others might be different

The movement was changed from ETA2824 to H-10, which gives it a choppier seconds hand movement but increases the power reserve all the way up to 80 hours

Can't help you on the last 2

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Can't stop staring at this on my wrist....
                      That is beautiful.

Question - do all Rolex watches have that repeating text like this one on the inner bezel, or is it just a Datejust thing? Is this what they call "rehaut" engraving? I don't feel like it's on every model, but every time I check it seems to be there when I look closely.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by carlitos View Post
                          That is beautiful.

Question - do all Rolex watches have that repeating text like this one on the inner bezel, or is it just a Datejust thing? Is this what they call "rehaut" engraving? I don't feel like it's on every model, but every time I check it seems to be there when I look closely.
                          I believe all newer Rolexes have them (that is, anything in an oyster case--not sure on Cellini, etc.) and yes that's the rehaut. I can't recall exact date when they started adding it, but I think it's been over a decade at this point. It should say "ROLEXROLEXROLEX..." around entire thing, except at 6p where it will have the watch's registration number.

Comment

Thanks. Didn't know that about the registration number either.

Comment

What watch I wore today

New watch - my first automatic moonphase complication for the collection - Longines Master Collection Moonphase

Comment

Lovely watch [MENTION=16992]Publius[/MENTION].

Comment

Working...
                                X