Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casual Friday at the office. It's surprising how much I really enjoy wearing this watch.

[MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION] I hear ya on the vintage Longines. They have some nice vintage watches. For my next watch I may copy [MENTION=15641]mongoose[/MENTION] and look for a vintage Patek. Then again he makes a good case for an Omega Seamaster too...

[MENTION=15597]kingtopher[/MENTION] I bought my watch used from a member of the forums here. I love the vintage look on the face. Try the WuS forums too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Modded Seiko 007 for casual Friday

Comment

VSA for Saturday morning gym, dog walk, and errands.
        Ben

Comment

LLD for a leisure Saturday housewarming.

Comment

How about this M6 Spaceview

Comment

Just received this one in the mail: a Maratac Mid Pilot watch. The watch came on a black nylon strap, but I currently have it on an old oiled leather strap that I had laying around. It has a sapphire crystal and a Citizen automatic movement.

Comment

Cross post from WIWT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqKecGgt3u/

Christopher Ward

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                  Just received this one in the mail: a Maratac Mid Pilot watch. The watch came on a black nylon strap, but I currently have it on an old oiled leather strap that I had laying around. It has a sapphire crystal and a Citizen automatic movement.

I've had my eye on a pilot watch like this for a while now. Out of all the manufacturers of pilot watches, how did you settle on the Maratac version? Also, any comments/reviews you can post/share? Thanks.

Comment

Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                      I've had my eye on a pilot watch like this for a while now. Out of all the manufacturers of pilot watches, how did you settle on the Maratac version? Also, any comments/reviews you can post/share? Thanks.
                      Out of curiosity, what other pilot watches are you referring to in that price range?

Comment

Pilot watches (as I understand it) were invented in the early years of aviation and were designed more than anything to be easy to read at a quick glance. Hence, they typically were/are large watches with very simple designs. Many of the current ones have "sterile" dials without any writing at all.

I have small wrists, so I've typically ignored most of the pilot watches out there as they're widths are frequently in the 44-46mm range. (42mm is the max for me and I generally prefer something more like 40mm.) The Maratac Mid Pilot is small for a pilot watch (39mm), so when I ran across one for a decent price on WUS, I jumped on it.

To be honest, I'm not totally sold on the design. I've settled on chronographs as my favorite watch design, so the super-simple dial of the Maratac is a bit of a change. Also, I frequently use the chronograph and date functions on my other watches, so I notice their absence on the Maratac.

It's a great watch, though, so I'm going to give it some time to see if it finds a place in my small collection. If you're looking for a good review of this particular watch, there are a couple of good ones here:

Review at Worn and Wound
                        Review at From Squalor to Baller

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                          Out of curiosity, what other pilot watches are you referring to in that price range?
                          Must confess I didn't do any research in to prices on the Maratac until your post. Steinhart though has watches in a similar price range: https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/flieger-watch.html
                          There may be others out there too, but what they are I don't know. One watch that I've had my eye on, albeit loosely, is the Parnis Flieger. Which I realize is below the price range of the Maratac.

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                          To be honest, I'm not totally sold on the design. I've settled on chronographs as my favorite watch design, so the super-simple dial of the Maratac is a bit of a change. Also, I frequently use the chronograph and date functions on my other watches, so I notice their absence on the Maratac.

It's a great watch, though, so I'm going to give it some time to see if it finds a place in my small collection. If you're looking for a good review of this particular watch, there are a couple of good ones here:
                          I think that's one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on this style of watch. I'm not totally sold on the design. I'd like to be sold on it though as I think they are nice looking watches. I'm just not sure if I could pull it off, or if the watch will work for me, as you have alluded to. Thanks for the info/reviews. Cheers.

Comment

My new Steinhart was scheduled to arrive today so I wore the old one to greet it. Tracking info hasn't updated, tho, so it probably won't actually arrive today. Oh well.

(Old pic)
                            Ben

Comment

Must confess I didn't do any research in to prices on the Maratac until your post. Steinhart though has watches in a similar price range: https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/flieger-watch.html
                              There may be others out there too, but what they are I don't know. One watch that I've had my eye on, albeit loosely, is the Parnis Flieger. Which I realize is below the price range of the Maratac.

I think that's one of the reasons why I haven't pulled the trigger on this style of watch. I'm not totally sold on the design. I'd like to be sold on it though as I think they are nice looking watches. I'm just not sure if I could pull it off, or if the watch will work for me, as you have alluded to. Thanks for the info/reviews. Cheers.
                              Prefer maratac for not having a logo, and also frankly I personally don't like companies that are in the business of producing blatantly-copied designs / "homages". Guaranteed a pilot's watch is a simple design that's been passed among companies for years and years, so it's less of an apparently issue with those models, but the other productions would turn me away from Parnis and Steinhart. YMMV.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]: The big "draw" of the Maratac Mid Pilot is that it's only 39mm wide. Most of the pilot watches out there are 44mm and greater. If your wrist is large enough to wear full-size pilot watch, then you have a lot of good options. But if you're a small wristed guy, your options are limited.

Comment

Working...
                                X