This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I've never seen that tuxedo dial before.

As a general rule, fluted and jubilee usually go together while smooth and oyster go together. Really it's a personal decision but those are the most popular combos sort of like red wine with steak and white wine with fish.
    I couldn’t figure out what looked off to me, but I think it’s the smooth bezel and the jubilee just don’t 100% match on that second one. It still looks good, but something was throwing me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never seen that tuxedo dial before.
      I'm leaning toward the tuxedo dial because it's relatively unusual/rare, and because if the DJ36 gets updated I feel like I would probably go for either blue or rhodium (assuming it's available), while I doubt the tux dial will be available on the updated version at all.

The tux dial is also the first Rolex that really wowed me when I first saw it while browsing DJ configurations years ago.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        The watch is really long, longer than the listed lug to lug specs, due to the fixed center link on the end links; the case sits high on the wrist due to the extra thickness of the bubble caseback; and the glidelock clasp is very long, which altogether combined with the weight and size just made the watch wear really big and uncomfortable, much bigger than the virtually identical GMT IIc I used to own which has a flatter case back and a shorter clasp.

Plus the coin edge of the bezel felt very sharp to me, like it was going to chew up my shirt cuffs.

I had thought (or at least, hoped) the adjustability of the glidelock clasp would mitigate the other factors but it did not.

I really love the 3-dimensionality of the ceramic bezel with engraved numerals but it just felt terrible and looked silly big on my wrist.
        The "Maxi Case" on the ceramic submariners (2012-present) makes them wear awfully gigantic. Very straight, massive lugs that don't wrap around the wrist very gracefully. As a result, it wears more like a 42mm than a 40mm. I prefer the pre-ceramic submariner (16610 or 14060) aesthetically. Plus, the solid center link and end link bracelet is REALLY substantial feeling. Feels like you're wearing a brick house on your wrist.

The ceramic GMTs also have a similar (but not identical) Maxi Case and bracelet, but I've learned that the case is a bit thinner and the lugs are a smidge smaller, which makes it a little more wearable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
          The "Maxi Case" on the ceramic submariners (2012-present) makes them wear awfully gigantic. Very straight, massive lugs that don't wrap around the wrist very gracefully. As a result, it wears more like a 42mm than a 40mm. I prefer the pre-ceramic submariner (16610 or 14060) aesthetically. Plus, the solid center link and end link bracelet is REALLY substantial feeling. Feels like you're wearing a brick house on your wrist.

The ceramic GMTs also have a similar (but not identical) Maxi Case and bracelet, but I've learned that the case is a bit thinner and the lugs are a smidge smaller, which makes it a little more wearable to me.
          Yeah. My GMT IIc was very wearable, though the crown dug into the top of my hand a bit. I got mixed feedback on WUS and TRF on which of the two (GMT vs Sub) was more comfortable to wear than the other. Some said they were the same, some said the GMT due to being flatter, and some said the Sub was actually more comfortable due to the adjustability of the glidelock. I was banking on the likelihood that the Sub would be at least the same as the GMT, if not more comfortable, but unfortunately the Sub just does not get along with my wrist at all.

The Sub has always been a grail for me because my true grail is my dad's 1970s era Rolex 5513... so I wanted something similar to his but with all the modern bells and whistles. Alas, not meant to be.

P.S. I may be overstating how uncomfortable the Sub is slightly, but as previously referenced I am in Marie Kondo mode with watches - if it does not spark joy on my wrist, it's dead to me. Ok, not dead to me. I will thank it for teaching me I am not cut out for Maxi case Rolexes and send it on its way.
          Ben

Comment

I'm leaning toward the tuxedo dial because it's relatively unusual/rare, and because if the DJ36 gets updated I feel like I would probably go for either blue or rhodium (assuming it's available), while I doubt the tux dial will be available on the updated version at all.

The tux dial is also the first Rolex that really wowed me when I first saw it while browsing DJ configurations years ago.
            That tux/fluted/jubilee combo is snazzy, I like.

I've been keeping away from any big purchases lately, which is probably good -- was on a roll for a few years, plus got my (now-)wife a nice JLC that took a rotation spot in my watch fund. Not sure what I want next, as nothing has really wowed me lately because I haven't been looking as much (been busy with wedding, etc.). Funny how that works, but imagine I'll re-gain the itch soon enough.

Comment

Yeah. My GMT IIc was very wearable, though the crown dug into the top of my hand a bit. I got mixed feedback on WUS and TRF on which of the two (GMT vs Sub) was more comfortable to wear than the other. Some said they were the same, some said the GMT due to being flatter, and some said the Sub was actually more comfortable due to the adjustability of the glidelock. I was banking on the likelihood that the Sub would be at least the same as the GMT, if not more comfortable, but unfortunately the Sub just does not get along with my wrist at all.

The Sub has always been a grail for me because my true grail is my dad's 1970s era Rolex 5513... so I wanted something similar to his but with all the modern bells and whistles. Alas, not meant to be.

P.S. I may be overstating how uncomfortable the Sub is slightly, but as previously referenced I am in Marie Kondo mode with watches - if it does not spark joy on my wrist, it's dead to me. Ok, not dead to me. I will thank it for teaching me I am not cut out for Maxi case Rolexes and send it on its way.
              Even my 5 digit sub isn't as comfy as the 5 digit GMT or explorer. I've realized it is due to the thicker case back the Sub has to achiever its WR rating. The case back from those other 2 will fit the Sub (you will lose some WR of course) but good luck trying to find one as Rolex doesn't sell parts like that.

I've always been that way with my watches. If they don't make me happy, they are gone. It's probably why I go through so many watches.

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
              That tux/fluted/jubilee combo is snazzy, I like.

I've been keeping away from any big purchases lately, which is probably good -- was on a roll for a few years, plus got my (now-)wife a nice JLC that took a rotation spot in my watch fund. Not sure what I want next, as nothing has really wowed me lately because I haven't been looking as much (been busy with wedding, etc.). Funny how that works, but imagine I'll re-gain the itch soon enough.
              At this point I already own or have tried most of the watches I've wanted. So unless I go to the really high ends (I do want an Aquanaut one day) I may mess around with some less expensive watches. I've been looking at a Halios Seaforth or Stowa Flieger lately. I also always check out what Sinn or Damasko are for sale in the used market. On the slightly more expensive side I've been looking at a Nomos Ahoi Atlantik Neomatic (nomos ahoi with blue dial in the smaller case size). The other watch I keep an eye out for is the 38.5mm Skyfall Aqua Terra. I wish I had picked up the one Ben was selling a few years back.

Comment

Even my 5 digit sub isn't as comfy as the 5 digit GMT or explorer. I've realized it is due to the thicker case back the Sub has to achiever its WR rating. The case back from those other 2 will fit the Sub (you will lose some WR of course) but good luck trying to find one as Rolex doesn't sell parts like that.

I've always been that way with my watches. If they don't make me happy, they are gone. It's probably why I go through so many watches.

At this point I already own or have tried most of the watches I've wanted. So unless I go to the really high ends (I do want an Aquanaut one day) I may mess around with some less expensive watches. I've been looking at a Halios Seaforth or Stowa Flieger lately. I also always check out what Sinn or Damasko are for sale in the used market. On the slightly more expensive side I've been looking at a Nomos Ahoi Atlantik Neomatic (nomos ahoi with blue dial in the smaller case size). The other watch I keep an eye out for is the 38.5mm Skyfall Aqua Terra. I wish I had picked up the one Ben was selling a few years back.
                Yeah, my interests are getting more pricey which makes me less likely to pull the trigger on much. I was looking at the siren blue Ahoi (36mm), potentially as a fun one for me and my wife to share. Other things higher on the list of priorities at this point, and she's still very happy with her main/only watch at this point -- maybe sometime in the future.

Comment

I think the Aqua Terra is a gorgeous looking watch, but I was surprised at how thick it felt on the wrist. 13mm isn't super chunky, but that's thicker than a ceramic Submariner. It's just a bit much for a watch that only has 150M WR and, at least to me, leans a tiny bit more dressy than it does sporty. As a result, even at 38.5mm it has quite a bit of wrist presence, which I wasn't necessarily looking for in a sub-40mm watch.

Comment

After that topic looking for a good watch for my small wrists, finally found one!

https://imgur.com/Ef2YmW6
                    https://imgur.com/66oSx20
                    https://imgur.com/5tSjqfA

Maen Hudson in 38mm and midnight blue. This thing pretty much has dress watch proportions and weight in a diver style

On an olive premium model 2 worn&wound strap, expensive but super comfortable

Loving it so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                      After that topic looking for a good watch for my small wrists, finally found one!

https://imgur.com/Ef2YmW6
                      https://imgur.com/66oSx20
                      https://imgur.com/5tSjqfA

Maen Hudson in 38mm and midnight blue. This thing pretty much has dress watch proportions and weight in a diver style

On an olive premium model 2 worn&wound strap, expensive but super comfortable

Loving it so far!
                      Oh wow, that is really nice. The white ring around the blue adds a lot I think. I wish I had not seen this actually

Comment

Timex Marlin Reissue on a black button stud today for me

Comment

Originally posted by jays0n View Post
                          Oh wow, that is really nice. The white ring around the blue adds a lot I think. I wish I had not seen this actually

Downside about the chapter ring is that since the dome crystal distorts right on the border, it's much harder to see the ring from straight on. if i ever have it serviced, i'd probably swap out the crystal for a flat one. if you're looking for a reason to talk yourself out of it, some of the watches are on preorder til end of april. i got the last one of mine in stock (apparently). but there are other colors/sizes

Comment

With all this talk of Rolex watches I felt I had to post this. Rolex Submariner.

Comment

Someone asked for pics demonstrating the issues I had with the Sub, so here they are.

Lug to lug length vs effective length of the watch thanks to endlinks

Depth of bubble caseback causing watch to ride high off wrist

Length of clasp
                              Ben

Comment

Don’t want to interrupt the conversation but feel a need to post something

Comment

Working...
                                X