Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What's black, white, and red all over" today.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      I saw that Alpinist on Hodinkee. Had it in my cart for about 15 minutes but decided not to pull the trigger as if never wear it. I didn’t want to be one of the many speculators who was picking it up just to flip for a profit.

It’s a red date day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Man. If my new Sub doesn't work out, size/comfort-wise, I am definitely going to pick up a new DJ. Probably with a jubilee bracelet and maybe with a fluted bezel this time. But I want to wait... I've got my fingers crossed that Rolex is going to update the SS DJ36 with the new movement and the redesigned dial a la the DJ41 at Baselworld this year. Some two tone models have got the new movements and dials (e.g.: https://images.rolex.com/catalogue/i...pright-majesty) so I'm hoping the SS models will follow shortly. A DJ36 with the new movement and new rhodium dial sans railroad track hashmarks would be killer.
      Ben

Comment

Ooooof.

Got my Sub in today.

I guess my senses have been honed to a fine Marie Kondo joy-detecting science or something, because I was not expecting to immediately dislike it on the wrist the way I did, but boy, did I dislike it. I sized it, wore it for fifteen minutes, then took it off and put my Casio Oceanus back on.

That is a big disappointment. The end result is not unexpected but I thought I would be able to wear it for a few months before making my decision. Not a few minutes.

At least I won't lose money on the resale in this market.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Ooooof.

Got my Sub in today.

I guess my senses have been honed to a fine Marie Kondo joy-detecting science or something, because I was not expecting to immediately dislike it on the wrist the way I did, but boy, did I dislike it. I sized it, wore it for fifteen minutes, then took it off and put my Casio Oceanus back on.

That is a big disappointment. The end result is not unexpected but I thought I would be able to wear it for a few months before making my decision. Not a few minutes.

At least I won't lose money on the resale in this market.
          I didn't see that coming... what were the issues?
          Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Comment

Originally posted by minty007 View Post
            Yes. I'm curious too. Was it the size? Shape/appearance? Something else?

Comment

Originally posted by minty007 View Post
              The watch is really long, longer than the listed lug to lug specs, due to the fixed center link on the end links; the case sits high on the wrist due to the extra thickness of the bubble caseback; and the glidelock clasp is very long, which altogether combined with the weight and size just made the watch wear really big and uncomfortable, much bigger than the virtually identical GMT IIc I used to own which has a flatter case back and a shorter clasp.

Plus the coin edge of the bezel felt very sharp to me, like it was going to chew up my shirt cuffs.

I had thought (or at least, hoped) the adjustability of the glidelock clasp would mitigate the other factors but it did not.

I really love the 3-dimensionality of the ceramic bezel with engraved numerals but it just felt terrible and looked silly big on my wrist.
              Ben

Comment

The watch is really long, longer than the listed lug to lug specs, due to the fixed center link on the end links; the case sits high on the wrist due to the extra thickness of the bubble caseback; and the glidelock clasp is very long, which altogether combined with the weight and size just made the watch wear really big and uncomfortable, much bigger than the virtually identical GMT IIc I used to own which has a flatter case back and a shorter clasp.

Plus the coin edge of the bezel felt very sharp to me, like it was going to chew up my shirt cuffs.

I had thought (or at least, hoped) the adjustability of the glidelock clasp would mitigate the other factors but it did not.

I really love the 3-dimensionality of the ceramic bezel with engraved numerals but it just felt terrible and looked silly big on my wrist.
                Sorry to hear it didn't work out -- I'm sure it'll find a good home somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  Sorry to hear it didn't work out -- I'm sure it'll find a good home somewhere!
                  It’s a’ight. Part of why I wanted to buy it was to disabuse it of grail status in my mind. So, now I know.

Already put feelers out for buyers and got something lined up to replace it....
                  Ben

Comment

Posting late today; it was crazy
                    Feeling gray and black (was all gray and black today actually, black pants, gray shoes, gray shirt, sweater and Jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't want to say I told you so on that last one, but . . . I understand having that nagging feeling in the back of your mind where you have to try it out for yourself.

In addition to my dislike of the maxicase, I found the watch rather boring. I like the personality of the 5 digits vs the sterile feeling of the 6 digit Sub.

Man. If my new Sub doesn't work out, size/comfort-wise, I am definitely going to pick up a new DJ. Probably with a jubilee bracelet and maybe with a fluted bezel this time. But I want to wait... I've got my fingers crossed that Rolex is going to update the SS DJ36 with the new movement and the redesigned dial a la the DJ41 at Baselworld this year. Some two tone models have got the new movements and dials (e.g.: https://images.rolex.com/catalogue/i...pright-majesty) so I'm hoping the SS models will follow shortly. A DJ36 with the new movement and new rhodium dial sans railroad track hashmarks would be killer.
                      I like the railroad tracks. I also like that my jubilee has the hidden clasp. I wanted an older model before they changed everything up on it.
                      Last edited by Vicious49; March 1, 2019, 08:04 AM.

Comment

It’s a’ight. Part of why I wanted to buy it was to disabuse it of grail status in my mind. So, now I know.

Already put feelers out for buyers and got something lined up to replace it....
                        Makes sense. I still love my SD4k, but I also have very different wrists than you (I even have the fliplock extension in (but not extended) when wearing mine regularly). Still, it's definitely a different wear than some of my other watches. Funny to think it seemed small when I got it, but now is effectively my largest/heaviest watch. What's the new target? The hopefully updated DJ?

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        I don't want to say I told you so on that last one, but . . . I understand having that nagging feeling in the back of your mind where you have to try it out for yourself.

In addition to my dislike of the maxicase, I found the watch rather boring. I like the personality of the 5 digits vs the sterile feeling of the 6 digit Sub.

I like the railroad tracks. I also like that my jubilee has the hidden clasp. I wanted an older model before they changed everything up on it.
                        I'm a maxi guy, at least for current watch, but I'm glad I got mine when I did. The red text on the new SD is cool, but 43mm and a cyclops take away the parts that attracted me to it. I haven't seen one in person, but also wonder if the dial color is still matte black vs. the glossy of a Sub or not.

Comment

Right now I am deciding between these two.

Definitely going jubilee. Undecided on a fluted or domed bezel. Leaning toward blue but I have always had a soft spot for the tuxedo dial. I’ve found a good deal on jubilee/fluted/tuxedo but I’m concerned it’s too much going on altogether.
                          Ben

Comment

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] if you haven't sold your Rolex already, are you able to post a pic? I'm interested in seeing the issues with the watch you spoke about.

Regarding the watches above, I'm a fan of the second one FWIW.

Comment

I second the second one!

Comment

I've never seen that tuxedo dial before.

As a general rule, fluted and jubilee usually go together while smooth and oyster go together. Really it's a personal decision but those are the most popular combos sort of like red wine with steak and white wine with fish.

Comment

Working...
                                X