Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I really do like the watch, but man it is loud. Thankfully it's in a watch box otherwise I think the ticking would keep me up at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Sose View Post

My 6900 today while on a safari.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Dang those zebras are well fed! Definitely not like the ones you see on the discovery channel. I guess even with animals they only show the best looking ones on TV :P

Comment

Originally posted by firemunkee View Post
        Dang those zebras are well fed! Definitely not like the ones you see on the discovery channel. I guess even with animals they only show the best looking ones on TV :P
        They are definitely very well fed. I'm surprised there were so many with the number of natural predators they have in the area.

Comment

Tag Heuer Kirium F1.

My first foray in to watches some years ago now.

Comment

Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT... one of those watches I really love in spite of being objectively too big for me.

Ben

Comment

Because it's a Tuesday. Omega Speedmaster on a crown and buckle leather strap.

[MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] how do you like the Steinhart? I've had my eye on their watches for a while but never done much about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] how do you like the Steinhart? I've had my eye on their watches for a while but never done much about it.
                I like it a lot. Solid build quality for the price. Better than most Chinese-made microbrands in a similar price range, IMO, aside from their bracelet clasps, which are a bit chesy. I would like Steinhart a lot more if they made some smaller models, though. Most of their dive watches are 42mm (which isn't too bad) but have long, straight lugs (almost 52mm by my eyeballing) that make them wear really large.

Can't complain about the quality, though, and their vintage Sub homages are really on-point, style-wise. I'm not a big fan of homages generally but I do have a soft spot well-executed remakes of out-of-production vintage models.

In fact, I am currently wearing my brother's Ocean One Vintage in black DLC (I'll post pics later), trying to decide whether I want to buy the stainless version of the same watch in lieu of a Tudor Black Bay Red or Black Bay Black. (A watch whose dial I looooooove, but I know I would immediately regret buying, because I already owned a Black Bay Blue for about two weeks and couldn't get past the horrible, blocky case shape.)

Ben

Comment

I almost started a new thread, but decided to ask this question here: If you were going to buy a new DRESS watch, what combination would you get for dial color, metal color and strap color?

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Hamilton Intra-Matic to wear only when I'm dressed up and I can't decide which color combination to get. It comes with both a stainless and gold finish, with a black or silver dial. I'm thinking that the silver dial/stainless finish would be the most versatile (i.e. least dressy), but I'm kind of leaning towards the black dial as it will be my one watch for dressy occasions.

Pics from the web:

Comment

Personally, I would go for the stainless w/ black face. I'm a fan of contrast, and the stainless with silver is too monotone for me. I'm also not a fan of gold at all... but that's just my own, apparently peculiar, taste.

Comment

I say go with the black dial w/ stainless finish. Personally I would seriously advise against gold finish. Gold doesn't work as well with a wide variety of skin tones as the stainless does. It can also look a bit tacky and can give off "hey look at me" vibes to some.

Comment

I love gold in the right context but I'm not a fan of it on that particular watch. It just looks too yellowy against the silver dial and black hands/markers. I prefer rose gold or yellow gold with a gold or champagne dial on a brown strap. Yellow gold + black just doesn't work for me at all.

Of the stainless models, I think it just comes down to preference. I owned and flipped a silver dial Intramatic because it seemed a bit plain and sterile to me. If I were to buy one again I would probably try the black just to see if I connected with that one in a different way. But that's just me.
                        Ben

Comment

I don't mind a gold watch, especially if it's a simple dress watch -- either of the ALS Saxonia, VC Trad Pat Small Seconds in this Hodinkee article ( https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...al-dress-watch ) or a Patek Calatrava like the 5227R would be rather fantastic to have, and I'm debating a classic, simple dress watch for my next milestone purchase.

However, I find gold plated / PVD'd watches to be a bit much and dare I say disingenuous. I also think that, for the Hamilton you're looking at, the gold model actually looks a little off--not sure whether it's the dial paired on the faint yellow gold or something else, but it doesn't seem as home/congruous with the other design aspects as does the stainless/silver or stainless/black combo. I generally prefer silver/lighter dials for dress watches, but for that model I'd prob opt for the black dial.

Comment

As previously mentioned, today I'm wearing my brother's Steinhart Ocean One Vintage in black DLC. I am deciding whether I want to buy the regular stainless version of this watch.

If I buy it, I am eyeing a brown suede strap and maybe a simple mod to "age" the black bezel to better match the dark gray dial (i.e. bleach bath).

Ben

Comment

[MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION] I like black dial
                              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                                I almost started a new thread, but decided to ask this question here: If you were going to buy a new DRESS watch, what combination would you get for dial color, metal color and strap color?

I'm seriously thinking of picking up a Hamilton Intra-Matic to wear only when I'm dressed up and I can't decide which color combination to get. It comes with both a stainless and gold finish, with a black or silver dial. I'm thinking that the silver dial/stainless finish would be the most versatile (i.e. least dressy), but I'm kind of leaning towards the black dial as it will be my one watch for dressy occasions.

Pics from the web:
                                The Intramatic 38mm silver dial with stainless steel. Beautiful watch. It is my go-to for black tie. I even started wearing black Park Aves and a black belt with my charcoal and gray suits so I could wear it more often.

Comment

Working...
                                X