X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
    $10?

I would warn you that Oris's are often franken'd/refinished from foreign vendors online, but for that price? Who cares. Great buy.
    Yeah, I've seen some pretty bad ones out of India and the UK, but this one came from Florida, from a guy I've bought from before who has a pretty steady, but small supply of older, mid-market Swiss handwinds and 80s era Seikos. He strikes me more as an estate sale reseller than a purveyor of fakes, but who knows? The dial and hands on this are clean, but I haven't opened it up, and I probably won't. For $10, it looks cool, keeps decent time, so I'm happy either way.
    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Comment

Slightly off-topic: anybody excited about Omega restarting production of Cal. 321 and presumably putting it back in a hopefully not limited-edition Speedy? I think my priority for the next purchase just shifted, granted getting one at retail might not be so easy.

Comment

I want to be excited but I suspect they are going to restrict this to some overpriced limited editions for the moon landing 50th anniversary....

Would be cool to see these become the new (old) standard Speedy Pro calibre but that seems unlikely.

If they put this into standard production Speedies, it's going to be as part of an effort to move the Speedy upmarket, as they've done with many of their models over the past few years. After all Omega only moved to the cal. 861 and 1861 because they were cheaper and easier to produce at scale than the cal. 321.
        Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 8, 2019, 12:57 PM.
        Ben

Comment

1) I wonder how much they'll tinker with the Speedy Pro dial to make it look similar to the 1957 original issue (e.g., broad arrow hands), or if it will just be a classic Speedy Pro dial with the 321 calibre inside.

2) This might be sacrilege, but if they're going to make a big stink about this 321 reissue, then I would like for there to be an exhibition caseback. What's the point of re-issuing this movement if you can't see it?

Comment

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
            1) I wonder how much they'll tinker with the Speedy Pro dial to make it look similar to the 1957 original issue (e.g., broad arrow hands), or if it will just be a classic Speedy Pro dial with the 321 calibre inside.

2) This might be sacrilege, but if they're going to make a big stink about this 321 reissue, then I would like for there to be an exhibition caseback. What's the point of re-issuing this movement if you can't see it?
            My guess is they will aesthetically recreate the old reference (by which I mean, the watch that made the first moon landing, not the Broad Arrow) in terms of the dial, hands, bezel, etc but put an exhibition caseback on the back. Reading the press release, this is definitely going to be an expensive limited edition (small workshop, a single watchmaker putting together the entire watch, etc) so it's definitely not going to be a standard current gen Speedy with a different movement inside. People are going to want to get something for their money, i.e., a view of the new movement and a watch that looks like the original but with modern build quality....

Given their recent history with vintage repros I would also not be TOO surprised if they used old radium style lume, though to me, that IS a bit on the sacrilegious side....

BTW, this is the reference that Neil Armstrong would have worn on the moon, and would most likely be the reference Omega would be recreating for a limited edition. Reference 105.012.

Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 8, 2019, 01:14 PM.
            Ben

Comment

taking the new toy (literally) for a spin today

so far: the watch ticking is a bit more audible than i'd like, the plastic crown oddly winds counter-clockwise, and the action of the stem when you pull out the crown seems a bit dodgy. it's probably not everybody's cup of tea...

Comment

Wish they made the Sistem51 in a ~38mm case size, seems like it would be a fun watch to have. I've thought about picking one up occasionally but 42mm with no bezel is a no-go for me wrist-wise.
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  Wish they made the Sistem51 in a ~38mm case size, seems like it would be a fun watch to have. I've thought about picking one up occasionally but 42mm with no bezel is a no-go for me wrist-wise.
                  Definitely agree on the sizing. It's borderline over-hanging my wrist at 42mm (the wrist-shot above is not doing it any favors either). Even a 40 would've been much better.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    BTW, this is the reference that Neil Armstrong would have worn on the moon, and would most likely be the reference Omega would be recreating for a limited edition. Reference 105.012.

it's remarkable (to my untrained eye at least) that this looks practically the same as a modern day speedy pro. 50 years, unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                      Yeah, I've seen some pretty bad ones out of India and the UK, but this one came from Florida, from a guy I've bought from before who has a pretty steady, but small supply of older, mid-market Swiss handwinds and 80s era Seikos. He strikes me more as an estate sale reseller than a purveyor of fakes, but who knows? The dial and hands on this are clean, but I haven't opened it up, and I probably won't. For $10, it looks cool, keeps decent time, so I'm happy either way.
                      Can I ask who the seller is?

Comment

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Publius View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Your Reverso looks great. Is that the large size? Do you find you wear it often?

Comment

Originally posted by klindsey View Post
                              Can I ask who the seller is?
                              I’m not at liberty to divulge; a couple of things I have my eye on, but a well targeted search will probably get you there.
                              --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                                I really like this. So clean.
                                --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                                X