This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lax101 View Post
    Interesting perspective--I've also never heard of the moonwatch/pro called the vanilla.

Was your issue with the FOIS mainly the lack of hesalite crystal? I always thought that the alpha hands were a nice touch on the FOIS. Any thoughts on the slightly reduced size (39-40mm versus 42mm)?
    Lol... I may have just made “vanilla” up, I of course just mean the “standard” Speedy Pro, not sapphire sandwich or LE or anything else.

The FOIS actually does not wear much smaller than the vanilla. Most of the size reduction is just from the removal of the crown guards. The crystal, bezel, and dial are all identical (or virtually identical) to the standard model. And the straight lugs give the impression of a long lug-to-lug length, though I don’t know how L2L actually compares on the two watches.

I didn’t care for the more sterile look/feel of the sapphire. The metal hands I could take or leave in their own right, but ultimately to me the all-white stick hands just look and feel more Speedmaster-y to me. It’s just part of the look. I also agree with [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION] that the 19mm lugs were somewhat annoying in terms of strap versatility.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; January 3, 2019, 01:40 PM.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
      Love me a roulette date wheel
      I tried figuring out what determines if a DateJust has a roulette date wheel or not. I've seen some various info but nothing that sounds like a concrete rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        I tried figuring out what determines if a DateJust has a roulette date wheel or not. I've seen some various info but nothing that sounds like a concrete rule.
        I guess it's just a

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

game of chance
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          On leather until I can resize the bracelet.

Having owned this watch in numerous iterations (Tintin, FOIS, vanilla) I will say at this point I think the vanilla is probably the best. Tintin is different and fun but the red made it a hard watch to pair with straps and changed the character of the watch (plus the dial color/texture was slightly different, darker black with more of a sheen to it). FOIS also had a bit of a different character to it with the polished metal hands and applied logo, plus the sapphire crystal gave more of a sterile overall appearance to the watch. To me the FOIS felt rather cold, and I never really bonded with it despite it being a very handsome piece.

The vanilla is in some ways the most boring at first glance but it’s just got that unmistakable “Moonwatch” look and presence to it - clean white stick hands and print, ever-so-slightly off-white lume, a multi-dimensional dial that is almost more charcoal than black, the bubbly acrylic crystal that gives the watch its vintage shape/presence and lends a certain gooey warmth to the dial.

I owned my Tintin for several years. Flipped the FOIS after barely 1-2 months. I think the vanilla is on track to stick around at least as long as the Tintin, perhaps longer.
          has been and likely always will be my favorite speedmaster.

Comment

orient datejust as a placeholder until I can get the rolex...one day

Comment

I think this is as concrete is its gonna get

Comment

Wow. Lots of nice watches popping up in this thread. Must. Resist. Urge to purchase. Again...

Comment

its been a bit since last time, baby grand seiko, i mean, SARB033 on some very overpriced hodinkee suede straps

Comment

Alpinist today.

Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                    --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                      I think this is as concrete is its gonna get

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/RUIOl8G.jpg[/IMG
                      I've seen this too but I've also read that it changes from year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                        its been a bit since last time, baby grand seiko, i mean, SARB033 on some very overpriced hodinkee suede straps
                        I read an article on Hodinkee where the president of Seiko was saying they were going to start focusing on making the Grand Seiko an heirloom kind of watch. The plan was to separate the company in to two lineages. The Grand Seiko market, and the every day Seiko market. It was an interesting read.

Comment

Casual Friday, casual watch - Seiko STO Turtle today. Picked this up before Xmas when Kohls was doing 40% off, and I feel like I stole it. I don't think that photos can really capture how cool the dial looks as the light changes.

Comment

Trying it on a new strap today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hamilton chrono today

Comment

Hamilton chrono today

Beautiful piece! How are you liking it? It was my second choice behind the Sinn. I couldn’t get an AD to stock one so that I could try it on.

Comment

Working...
                                X