Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wearing my Date-Master GMT Invicta in Japan, so I alway know what time it is back home (it’s great)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post

State of the Union with the newest edition for my SO’s birthday. Relatively easy to figure out which one, but it’s a crowd pleaser—or at least the crowd of 1 that matters most. She picked it out after enduring many watch shopping trips with me.

Also fairly certain that [MENTION=11347]jwwilker[/MENTION] and I have the same watch box...

That's a great mix man, that iwc is probably my favorite watch I currently own along with bond smp (the original one). I like your no date sub too btw, do you know what model it is? Looking at the 14060m myself for down the road

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by halfmacgas View Post
        That's a great mix man, that iwc is probably my favorite watch I currently own along with bond smp (the original one). I like your no date sub too btw, do you know what model it is? Looking at the 14060m myself for down the road

Thanks sir! The IWC is technically the blue Le Petit Prince version, although hard to see with my cruddy iPhone photo skills. It's really a nicely executed design and easy to wear.

My Rolex is actually a Sea-Dweller (the now extinct 40mm SD4000), which I opted for above a ND Sub for its matte dial, no cyclops and the shape vs the current model Subs. It's a bit thicker (but neither 43mm or DSSD thick) than ND Sub, but the heft is something I liked given my larger than average wrist size. I'm not sure how easy they are to find now, nor their pricing now that they're no longer made, but they're an interesting variation of basic Sub IMO, if you're looking for newer models. Hard to go wrong with something like a 14060m either, it comes down to preference on the little stuff between the models.

Comment

Thanks sir! The IWC is technically the blue Le Petit Prince version, although hard to see with my cruddy iPhone photo skills. It's really a nicely executed design and easy to wear.

My Rolex is actually a Sea-Dweller (the now extinct 40mm SD4000), which I opted for above a ND Sub for its matte dial, no cyclops and the shape vs the current model Subs. It's a bit thicker (but neither 43mm or DSSD thick) than ND Sub, but the heft is something I liked given my larger than average wrist size. I'm not sure how easy they are to find now, nor their pricing now that they're no longer made, but they're an interesting variation of basic Sub IMO, if you're looking for newer models. Hard to go wrong with something like a 14060m either, it comes down to preference on the little stuff between the models.
          Yup, have the lpp too. It's my favorite. If you haven't read the book, you should, its a kids book but pretty profound.

Thanks for the info about your sea dweller. I'm just starting to look into subs hoping to buy sometime within the new 3 or 4 watches, so learning about the variations.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmacgas View Post
            Yup, have the lpp too. It's my favorite. If you haven't read the book, you should, its a kids book but pretty profound.

Thanks for the info about your sea dweller. I'm just starting to look into subs hoping to buy sometime within the new 3 or 4 watches, so learning about the variations.

Definitely have read the book. It's actually shockingly relevant to adults even if written for children. I also just learned there was a movie made a couple years ago, which has rather solid reviews (93% Rotten) albeit subject to the usual "book is better than the movie" complaints (which is almost always the case).

Happy to help! I did a decent bit of research a couple years back when I purchased my SD4k and watch folks tend to always be ready to give advice! Oftentimes whether or not you ask If you aren't already over there, you can get real deep (perhaps more than you need) on WatchUSeek and other places. I got sucked into that life for a bit, but then realized I just wanted to enjoy the watches I like, vs. having a collection or specific watches that the internets told me are better / must-haves, etc. Not that my collection currently goes off the beaten path by much, but each has something specific that made it my choice vs. the typical go-to.

Comment

I got sucked into that life for a bit, but then realized I just wanted to enjoy the watches I like, vs. having a collection or specific watches that the internets told me are better / must-haves, etc.
              Sensible advice for anyone involved in any type of collecting where there is an Internet forum involved.

I’ve learned the hard way. But have stopped buying for now, sold off/selling off the ones I don’t like that I was told I should (ha), and will be patient and wait for the days I can thereafter purchase the ones I actually want.

Comment

If you aren't already over there, you can get real deep (perhaps more than you need) on WatchUSeek and other places. I got sucked into that life for a bit, but then realized I just wanted to enjoy the watches I like, vs. having a collection or specific watches that the internets told me are better / must-haves, etc. Not that my collection currently goes off the beaten path by much, but each has something specific that made it my choice vs. the typical go-to.
                True words ^^. I found myself in the same boat too. I was getting sucked in to the watch collecting life on WatchUSeek (an AWESOME resource BTW) but then decided to just focus on watches that I enjoy versus having specific models. That said I think I'm at a good spot now with what I own and wear. I'll likely be paring down my collection in a bit since I own some watches that never see wrist time. If I can't enjoy them, someone else should...

Such as [MENTION=14984]jays0n[/MENTION]. Glad to see the watch is treating you well in Japan

Comment

Just inherited this. Appears to be from the early 70s from what the internets tells me. Made in East Germany. The Speidel band is a flashback.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! You still have the LPP. I loved that watch. It's 1 watch I wish I could have kept as it's a wonderful design and a perfect shade of blue. Unfortunately on my smaller wrists those lugs felt just a bit too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      Nice! You still have the LPP. I loved that watch. It's 1 watch I wish I could have kept as it's a wonderful design and a perfect shade of blue. Unfortunately on my smaller wrists those lugs felt just a bit too long.
                      Absolutely love the LPP. As you note, the lugs are a bit long if you have a smaller wrist; on my bigger wrists, it helps it sit nicely while avoiding being an oversized dial/case. I can see this being in my collection for a long time because it's so versatile and clean.

Comment

Is it possible to buff out scratches or scuffs on watch lugs/bracelets? Or am I better off learning 'embrace the character' of it?

Comment

And part of the reason why I was able to sell my Invicta 9402 II to [MENTION=14984]jays0n[/MENTION]...

Explorer II in the morning light.

Comment

Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post
                            Is it possible to buff out scratches or scuffs on watch lugs/bracelets? Or am I better off learning 'embrace the character' of it?
                            I lean toward embracing the character. If you constantly buff out scratches you're just taking layers of metal off the watch. Eventually it'll change its shape, strength, etc. Plus, it's a never ending battle to keep them perfect--which just sounds like more stress than it's worth for me.

Comment

This dial is mesmerizing

Sent using Tapatalk
                              Follow me on Instagram! @wilkstime

Comment

( reduced) Speedy for Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                                X