This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
    Casio Europe has a new Edifice model that I am seriously considering. For $70 through Amazon it seems like a pretty solid deal for a slightly more dressy sports watch. It also comes in a white or blue face. https://www.edifice-watches.eu/euro/...v-100d-1avuef/ My main concern from looking at photos is that the bracelet is going to be garbage, but I have some 20mm straps I could swap out.

Amazon lists the diameter at 42mm and 40mm in different places on their page. I think Casio often lists their case diameter including the crown so I'm hoping that the diameter without crown is 40mm which is a pretty good size for this style watch. Here's the Casio Europe page https://www.edifice-watches.eu/euro/...v-100d-1avuef/

I got this watch on Friday and I've been wearing it since. The case is 40mm wide excluding the crown and crown guard, measured with digital calipers. Casio seems to list their watches with the width including crown or crown guard. The watch is pretty nice for $80. The case is nicely finished with a polished bezel, brushed lug tops, polished bevel on the lugs, and the side of the case is brushed. There's a shoreline about halfway down the side of the case below which it's polished and rounded down to meet the case back. The crown is screw-down and signed with the Edifice logo. The lugs are pretty long, nicely curved, and they flow into the body of the case nicely.

The dial is sunburst except at the chapter ring where it has a thin racetrack. The indices are applied thin metal chisel shapes with lume. Lume is decent, not as good as Seiko but better than the Citizen I have. It think it's better than the lume on my Casio MDV-106. The lume is stronger on the hands that it is on the indices. It's a nice looking dial, it checks a lot of boxes that I was looking for.

I can confirm that the bracelet is a rattly, squeaky, hollow link mess. I pulled it off and have been alternating between a green RAF NATO and a brown leather slip through strap. I'm thinking about getting a nicer oyster style bracelet for it, but I think I might miss being able to easily swap between straps like I do with the leather and NATO straps I'm using now.

Overall, I think it's a nice watch. I was comparing it to the MDV-106 (Marlin) in my head because I think they both are cheap quartz watches that look more expensive than they are. I think the Edifice straddles the line between casual and dressy well. If it was on a nice bracelet or nice leather strap, it would definitely work with a suit. It would equally work with a casual outfit. One difference between the Edifice and the Marlin is the Marlin is much heavier. The Edifice is closer in weight to my Seiko 5 (SNK809).

Here, have some crappy pictures.
    Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Comment

It's an Explorer II kinda day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got this watch on Friday and I've been wearing it since. The case is 40mm wide excluding the crown and crown guard, measured with digital calipers. Casio seems to list their watches with the width including crown or crown guard. The watch is pretty nice for $80. The case is nicely finished with a polished bezel, brushed lug tops, polished bevel on the lugs, and the side of the case is brushed. There's a shoreline about halfway down the side of the case below which it's polished and rounded down to meet the case back. The crown is screw-down and signed with the Edifice logo. The lugs are pretty long, nicely curved, and they flow into the body of the case nicely.

The dial is sunburst except at the chapter ring where it has a thin racetrack. The indices are applied thin metal chisel shapes with lume. Lume is decent, not as good as Seiko but better than the Citizen I have. It think it's better than the lume on my Casio MDV-106. The lume is stronger on the hands that it is on the indices. It's a nice looking dial, it checks a lot of boxes that I was looking for.

I can confirm that the bracelet is a rattly, squeaky, hollow link mess. I pulled it off and have been alternating between a green RAF NATO and a brown leather slip through strap. I'm thinking about getting a nicer oyster style bracelet for it, but I think I might miss being able to easily swap between straps like I do with the leather and NATO straps I'm using now.

Overall, I think it's a nice watch. I was comparing it to the MDV-106 (Marlin) in my head because I think they both are cheap quartz watches that look more expensive than they are. I think the Edifice straddles the line between casual and dressy well. If it was on a nice bracelet or nice leather strap, it would definitely work with a suit. It would equally work with a casual outfit. One difference between the Edifice and the Marlin is the Marlin is much heavier. The Edifice is closer in weight to my Seiko 5 (SNK809).

Here, have some crappy pictures.
        Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
        thanks for the info. I may get this. I want a quartz grab and go and have been looking at the Wenger 72800. Sometimes I can find it for cheaper than $80 but usually its around $100. This casio might be a good option. I am a little bummed it isnt 38mm but 40 isnt bad. Applied indices and sunburst dial at $80 is pretty darn good.

Comment

This doesn't really match anything so I have oddly not felt the need to change it in a few days. Like usually I say "oh, this watch doesn't match as well as it did yesterday, let me change it."

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that a screw-down crown I see?

Oops, I re-read your post more closely and I see that it is.
            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              Is that a screw-down crown I see?
              Yes it is, and it screws down pretty nicely too. The threads on my Marlin feel a little rougher than the ones on the Edifice.

Comment

Yes it is, and it screws down pretty nicely too. The threads on my Marlin feel a little rougher than the ones on the Edifice.
                White dial is $60... HMMMMMM.
                Ben

Comment

Do eeeeeet, I'm curious how the white dial looks in the sun. I was momentarily tempted by the white dial, but went with black.

The black and blue dial versions are up to almost $90 on Amazon for some reason.

Links for the different versions:
                  https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Edifice...70_&dpSrc=srch
                  https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Edifice...=casio+efv-100

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive brushed steel oyster bracelet?

Comment

Do eeeeeet, I'm curious how the white dial looks in the sun. I was momentarily tempted by the white dial, but went with black.

The black and blue dial versions are up to almost $90 on Amazon for some reason.

Links for the different versions:
                    https://www.amazon.com/Casio-Edifice...=casio+efv-100

Anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive brushed steel oyster bracelet?
                    check watch gecko. its tough to match curved ends though.

I missed the screw down crown. hmmmm. HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      check watch gecko. its tough to match curved ends though.

I missed the screw down crown. hmmmm. HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMM.
                      I was going to reuse the hollow end links from the garbage bracelet that it comes with. I figured hollow end links are hollow end links.

Comment

I was going to reuse the hollow end links from the garbage bracelet that it comes with. I figured hollow end links are hollow end links.
                        Yeah, will work as long as the center rinks are same size. Nothing to it but to do it. There are some China ebay sellers that have decent bracelets for cheap but it can be hit or miss. If you are interested I will dig up some sellers I have used and PM you.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

New to me.

1997 Rolex Submariner 14060. I decided to put the watch on a NATO to make it a bit more casual looking.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post

New to me.

1997 Rolex Submariner 14060. I decided to put the watch on a NATO to make it a bit more casual looking.

Congrats! Looks like it's in great shape and nice patina forming on the pip!

Comment

New to me.

Oh that looks bad ass congrats my dude

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

New to me.

Nice! I always forget how nice the dateless Sub looks.

Comment

Working...
                                X