This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    I had one doing that. was one of the retaining clips on a gear that kept sticking in the gear. try to bend it back and broke it more. ended up just buying a new movement. as you said, QC is questionable on these.
    In Soviet Russia, watch ticks you [off]!

Comment

Orient Neo 70s

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bassopotamus View Post

Vostok amphibian on NATO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Anyone else find it a bit ironic that a Russian watch is on a NATO strap?

(Nice looking watch BTW. I've been thinking about purchasing a Russian watch for a while now)

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
          I had one doing that. was one of the retaining clips on a gear that kept sticking in the gear. try to bend it back and broke it more. ended up just buying a new movement. as you said, QC is questionable on these.
          I bought a Vostok scuba dude for the first time relatively recently because I saw they'd become available on Amazon with Prime fulfillment, and I thought a blue scuba dude would be a fun beater watch for summer.

I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing but tbh it felt so underwhelmingly poor quality when I received it that I returned it immediately. Seemed on par with those $10-20 cheapo Chinese mechanicals off eBay (Fineat, etc). And I'm not one who is averse to the charms of an inexpensive watch - I own/have owned my share of Timexes, entry level Seikos/Orients/Casios, Swatches, etc.
          Ben

Comment

They have their rough around the edges appeal. Better than a timex for water related activities and about the same price. But yeah, I woukd rather do a seiko 5. Less wr but enough.
            Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            I bought a Vostok scuba dude for the first time relatively recently because I saw they'd become available on Amazon with Prime fulfillment, and I thought a blue scuba dude would be a fun beater watch for summer.

I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing but tbh it felt so underwhelmingly poor quality when I received it that I returned it immediately. Seemed on par with those $10-20 cheapo Chinese mechanicals off eBay (Fineat, etc). And I'm not one who is averse to the charms of an inexpensive watch - I own/have owned my share of Timexes, entry level Seikos/Orients, Swatches, etc.
            Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

LesserBlackDog said Chinese Mechanical and I happen to have on my Marlin, so had to do a pic

Comment

Typical New England weather fluctuations here. Overcast in the 50s yesterday and now today it’s 90. Threw the Alpinist on a nato and took my dog on a hike.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

I wasn't expecting anything mind-blowing but tbh it felt so underwhelmingly poor quality when I received it that I returned it immediately. Seemed on par with those $10-20 cheapo Chinese mechanicals off eBay (Fineat, etc). And I'm not one who is averse to the charms of an inexpensive watch - I own/have owned my share of Timexes, entry level Seikos/Orients/Casios, Swatches, etc.

Here is my Vostok Amphibia. An early model from the late 60s early 70s.

The watch has a certain build quality between shady (the crown literally wobbles when unscrewed) to tank like (even at 50 years old it can take punishment during wear without issues). Such characteristics are pretty much one of the charms of Soviet watches. Made to be functional, interchangeable and reliable at minimum cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                    Typical New England weather fluctuations here. Overcast in the 50s yesterday and now today it’s 90. Threw the Alpinist on a nato and took my dog on a hike.
                    Great pairing between the nato and alpinist!
                    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Modded Seiko 5 on a NATO

Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                      Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                      --Jason Isbell

Comment

I took delivery of a Japanese Domestic Market Seiko Presage in titanium and snowflake dial from Gnomon last night. It's hard to overstate how beautiful this watch is. The case is crisp and precise and gorgeous. The bracelet is also very refined and the combination of brushed and polished surfaces is pretty awesome. And the dial -- just glows. Very hard to capture its magic in photographs. Even though it's a silvery dial with polished silver hands, it's very easy to read if there is any light in the room at all. It has that weirdly light titanium feel, which is a refreshing change from a couple of heavy heavy big stainless dive watches I have been wearing lately. The fit and finish looks every bit as good as my Omega Speedmaster. This will probably be on my wrist a lot...

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                          Modded Seiko 5 on a NATO

Love the blue hands...
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                            I took delivery of a Japanese Domestic Market Seiko Presage in titanium and snowflake dial from Gnomon last night. It's hard to overstate how beautiful this watch is. The case is crisp and precise and gorgeous. The bracelet is also very refined and the combination of brushed and polished surfaces is pretty awesome. And the dial -- just glows. Very hard to capture its magic in photographs. Even though it's a silvery dial with polished silver hands, it's very easy to read if there is any light in the room at all. It has that weirdly light titanium feel, which is a refreshing change from a couple of heavy heavy big stainless dive watches I have been wearing lately. The fit and finish looks every bit as good as my Omega Speedmaster. This will probably be on my wrist a lot...
                            Seiko Presage make some sexy reasonably priced watches. As someone who has eyed a GS snowflake for a while, I can see why this could be a nice option.

Comment

got a new canvas/fabric (tho still leather lined) strap for a more summer-y vide.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                                got a new canvas/fabric (tho still leather lined) strap for a more summer-y vide.

brand?

Comment

Working...
                                X