• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Speaking of....

Who wore it best?!

Anyone else following BaselWorld 2018?

This is the highlight for me so far... 39mm Black Bay.

I definitely agree. The Black Bay 39mm looks incredible. I also really liked the Black Bay GMT:

Comment

Speaking of....

Who wore it best?!

This is the highlight for me so far... 39mm Black Bay.
      The BB is such a beautiful line....

Has Seiko announced any SARB replacements?
      Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
      Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
      --Jason Isbell

Comment

I think the Tudor GMT is the most interesting release as it was not expected by anyone. I am hoping that the new Rolex Pepsi drops the price of the older GMTs down a. It so I can pick up a Coke.

On a different note, do you still own the green Steinhart 39mm? That question was meant for Ben and I think 1 other poster here who owned it. I was wondering if you eventually grew tired if the color or if it's still seeing wrist time. I was thinking of picking one up as a weekend watch now that I've sold off a few other watches in the last 2 days.

Comment

The 39mm Black bay for me. I don’t love Pepsi bezels and anything under 40 feels like improvement to me.

Today - the Tangramatic “bauhaus” 39a. I don’t wear this enough; I always seem to get compliments on this one.

Comment

Speaking of....

Who wore it best?!

Speaking of Rolex and Tudor at BaselWorld 2018, I'm really excited about the new steel Pepsi GMT. Although the fact that you can't swap the Oyster-Jubilee to a plain old Oyster bracelet is kind of annoying. Also bummed that they changed the dial color on the white gold Pepsi GMT to navy/dark blue. I was thinking that picking up either the SS or the white gold version (maybe eventually) would be nice but they had to mess w/ Pepsi+GMT+black dial+Oyster bracelet combo. Though I'm sure the waitlist for the new steel Pepsi GMT is already miles long.

Also Tudor, to me they are getting dangerously close to just straight up copying Rolex. It's not a good look, even given their relationship and history w/ Rolex.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
              I am hoping that the new Rolex Pepsi drops the price of the older GMTs down a.
              Hopefully the new Pepsi GMT diverts the craze from all the other Rolex sports watches a bit. But surely the availability of older GMTs would benefit from the new release (fingers crossed).

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                Hopefully the new Pepsi GMT diverts the craze from all the other Rolex sports watches a bit. But surely the availability of older GMTs would benefit from the new release (fingers crossed).
                This ^^ I was in my local watch shop the other day chatting with the owner. He was telling me how Rolex Subs are extremely hot right now. He couldn't explain why all of sudden there was a rush on Subs, but he was telling me how if he COULD get them in stock it was pretty much a sellers market.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                  Speaking of Rolex and Tudor at BaselWorld 2018, I'm really excited about the new steel Pepsi GMT. Although the fact that you can't swap the Oyster-Jubilee to a plain old Oyster bracelet is kind of annoying. Also bummed that they changed the dial color on the white gold Pepsi GMT to navy/dark blue. I was thinking that picking up either the SS or the white gold version (maybe eventually) would be nice but they had to mess w/ Pepsi+GMT+black dial+Oyster bracelet combo. Though I'm sure the waitlist for the new steel Pepsi GMT is already miles long.

Also Tudor, to me they are getting dangerously close to just straight up copying Rolex. It's not a good look, even given their relationship and history w/ Rolex.
                  I agree with you, the Tudor Pepsi GMT looks great but initial reaction is that it has more of a Rolex personality than a Tudor personality. It feels like I'd be purchasing the Tudor over the Rolex as a cost savings decision rather than actually liking the style more.
                  Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                    I agree with you, the Tudor Pepsi GMT looks great but initial reaction is that it has more of a Rolex personality than a Tudor personality. It feels like I'd be purchasing the Tudor over the Rolex as a cost savings decision rather than actually liking the style more.
                    As Rolex continues to move upmarket ($9k for the steel GMT), it appears the company has positioned Tudor to take over the "reasonably" (relative) priced, quality/luxury segment and I'm fine with that. I much prefer the vintage look of the Tudor Pepsi GMT over the maxi-everything Rolex version. The company knows there's a market for that vintage styling, so having the two brands let's them benefit from that. I am really pleased to see the 39mm Black Bay but am looking forward to alternate colors and hopefully the GMT in that size too.

Comment

Originally posted by ajs116 View Post
                      As Rolex continues to move upmarket ($9k for the steel GMT), it appears the company has positioned Tudor to take over the "reasonably" (relative) priced, quality/luxury segment and I'm fine with that. I much prefer the vintage look of the Tudor Pepsi GMT over the maxi-everything Rolex version. The company knows there's a market for that vintage styling, so having the two brands let's them benefit from that. I am really pleased to see the 39mm Black Bay but am looking forward to alternate colors and hopefully the GMT in that size too.
                      Tudor may have started out as the poor man's Rolex but I think they're working to move away from that image and develop their own identity. The BB makes sense as a heritage inspired watch with its own personality because Tudor was making submariners back in the 1950s (even though they were very similar to Rolex). I agree with you that it looks good, but I'm not really sure what the identity of a vintage styled Tudor GMT is when it's clearly styled after Rolex. There's just some dissonance for me between the fact that the Tudor Heritage BB series is clearly designed to evoke nostalgia and heritage yet there's no actual Tudor heritage when it comes to the Pepsi GMT style.
                      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                        I'm not really sure what the identity of a vintage styled Tudor GMT is when it's clearly styled after Rolex. There's just some dissonance for me between the fact that the Tudor Heritage BB series is clearly designed to evoke nostalgia and heritage yet there's no actual Tudor heritage when it comes to the Pepsi GMT style.
                        Fair point. If the company's goal has been to differentiate the brands, the Tudor GMT release is a step in the other direction.

Comment

New pickup: Farer Lander. Absolutely love the colors on this one

Comment

That's real pretty.
                            Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                            Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                            --Jason Isbell

Comment

Tag Heuer Kirium. The watch the got me started lo those many many years ago. Doesn't see much wrist time these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                                That's real pretty.
                                yeah, good looking watch

Comment

Working...
                                X