This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Back to my daily wear for Friday. Past 5, but not quitting time yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would like a Rolex, but I don't want to spend Rolex money on a Rolex. So sadly I will not be owning a Rolex. I count how much a Rolex costs by how many pairs of EGs/G&Gs/shell EBs I can buy with that money. But damn do they look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sose View Post
      [MENTION=15111]TMann[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] -

Picked this one up: https://s31.postimg.org/5ebiobqvf/longines.jpg

It is a 1960 Crosshair dial Longines.

It is 34mm, so much smaller than others in my collection, but it looks fantastic. It is not a daily wearer but will certainly use it on special occasions.

How did I pick it? Well, I had been wanting a vintage Omega or Longines for a while. This one came up and was affordable enough to purchase and stash. If I need to service it, it shouldn't be too bad since my watchmaker is familiar with the movement (in house, Caliber 280, Mechanical with no complications). I wanted a clean dial and no date. That was basically my criteria.
      Very nice. It looks like it's in great condition based on the pictures. I'll be interested to see what you think of the size when you get it. (How big is your wrist, by the way?) I've looked at some of the vintage watches on the web For Sale forums and I've always been a bit hesitant to purchase something that small. Most of the modern dress watches that have a vintage vibe (like this Hamilton Intra-matic) are sized in the 38-40mm range.

I'd love to see more pictures when it arrives. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
        I would like a Rolex, but I don't want to spend Rolex money on a Rolex. So sadly I will not be owning a Rolex. I count how much a Rolex costs by how many pairs of EGs/G&Gs/shell EBs I can buy with that money. But damn do they look nice.
        I'm not a huge shoe guy, but watches caught my fancy. I won't be surprised if I continue to get a new watch per year (sounds slow until you consider price tags). My shoe collection takes up enough room in my small NYC apartment but my watch box still has plenty of room.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          I'm not a huge shoe guy, but watches caught my fancy. I won't be surprised if I continue to get a new watch per year (sounds slow until you consider price tags). My shoe collection takes up enough room in my small NYC apartment but my watch box still has plenty of room.

Watches are definitely a more expensive habit. I really want a Rolex, an Omega, a Grand Seiko, or a Nomos watch. But they are all of a price range that is difficult to swallow. I think I'm fine with owning Seikos, Orients, Christopher Wards, and Casios for now.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Love the deep green.

Comment

Giving the Casio a break from beater duty.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Giving the Casio a break from beater duty.

That's quite a monster you got there (hah! aren't I clever). On another note, I went no watch today for the first time in a long time. Felt weird.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                  Watches are definitely a more expensive habit. I really want a Rolex, an Omega, a Grand Seiko, or a Nomos watch. But they are all of a price range that is difficult to swallow. I think I'm fine with owning Seikos, Orients, Christopher Wards, and Casios for now.
                  Ditto. My hamilton was a stretch for me but I really like it so I am OK with it.

Comment

I just finished the watch strap I've been working on last night! Started the project back in June, but out it on pause for a couple months until I could use some tools that I needed. Turned out great for a first time DIY. Picked up some scrap burgundy chromexcel from a leathercrafter and used that to make it.

Comment

[MENTION=3886]drocpsu[/MENTION] I like it. That is something on my to do list.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                        I just finished the watch strap I've been working on last night! Started the project back in June, but out it on pause for a couple months until I could use some tools that I needed. Turned out great for a first time DIY. Picked up some scrap burgundy chromexcel from a leathercrafter and used that to make it.

Fantastic job!!!

Comment

[MENTION=3886]drocpsu[/MENTION] Well done! Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                            Very nice. It looks like it's in great condition based on the pictures. I'll be interested to see what you think of the size when you get it. (How big is your wrist, by the way?) I've looked at some of the vintage watches on the web For Sale forums and I've always been a bit hesitant to purchase something that small. Most of the modern dress watches that have a vintage vibe (like this Hamilton Intra-matic) are sized in the 38-40mm range.

I'd love to see more pictures when it arrives. Enjoy!
                            Thanks for the note!

I have a 7in wrist.

This watch wears well! It doesn't feel small at all! In happily surprised. The condition is stellar and everything about it looks original. I'll run the serial thru Longines to get more info from them.

Got it yesterday but it won't be worn until tomorrow. Don't want to take a leather strap to the ball game where I'll be sweating buckets (is it Fall yet?).

How big is your wrist? I hope we are close in size so you can get a better idea of how it would wear on you.

One thing I'm hoping j can grow used to is the lug width - 18mm. I don't have any straps that size. Thankfully, the stamp the seller included looks nice enough for this vintage piece.

This being the first mechanical watch in my collection for a long time, I have to get used to winding it.

Here's the one pic I took yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post

Looks awesome, great color combo too
                              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Sose View Post
                                Thanks for the note!

I have a 7in wrist.

This watch wears well! It doesn't feel small at all! In happily surprised. The condition is stellar and everything about it looks original. I'll run the serial thru Longines to get more info from them.

Got it yesterday but it won't be worn until tomorrow. Don't want to take a leather strap to the ball game where I'll be sweating buckets (is it Fall yet?).

How big is your wrist? I hope we are close in size so you can get a better idea of how it would wear on you.

One thing I'm hoping j can grow used to is the lug width - 18mm. I don't have any straps that size. Thankfully, the stamp the seller included looks nice enough for this vintage piece.

This being the first mechanical watch in my collection for a long time, I have to get used to winding it.

Here's the one pic I took yesterday.

Looks great, congrats on the acquisition!

Comment

Working...
                                X