This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
    No prob. The SNDF87 is a nice piece, and is kind of a throwback to the 6138 I have my eye on. Luckily the panda is relatively common as far as 6138s go, and I've seen them go for around $300 for beaters/parts watches and up to ~$1000 for immaculate pieces. The one I pictured went for $500, but that was 2 years ago.
    I think they're both pretty cool looking! I like the black and white panda look.

Comment

• Seiko 5 for Friday.
      Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocco View Post
        Seiko 7T32 chronograph from 1997 today. Every time I wear this, I feel like flipping it even more. It's smallish, feels flimsy, and has zero wrist presence.

I have one of these that used to belong to my brother when he was in middle school or high school... he left it at home and I yoinked it when helping to clean my parents' basement a while back. Though the one I have is two-tone, gold and silver. It was on a cheesy bracelet but looks great on leather. I'm surprised you find yours flimsy, I think these old Seikos are great watches.

Ben

Comment

• P.S. Speaking of panda chronos, has anyone else spotted these new Movado "Calendoplan" watches? Way overpriced, and quartz (not an issue for me but for some people), and too big for me at 43mm... but man these are sexy looking watches.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/movado-h...h-43mm/4388016

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/movado-h...h-43mm/4388013
          Ben

Comment

• They sure do make some stunners. I don't like the brown strap for the last one. Navy or black would have been my choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              I have one of these that used to belong to my brother when he was in middle school or high school... he left it at home and I yoinked it when helping to clean my parents' basement a while back. Though the one I have is two-tone, gold and silver. It was on a cheesy bracelet but looks great on leather. I'm surprised you find yours flimsy, I think these old Seikos are great watches.
              I think it's a great watch too, it's just after owning it for a couple months, I'm realizing how much I like wearing my mechanical watches more. Here's what I meant by flimsy:

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
              The watch itself is pretty small by modern chronograph standards, and it's very lightweight. I'm a sucker for the heft of a mechanical movement, so the combination of all of these make it feel flimsy to me. The watch itself is robust (I just dropped it last night, everything is fine); it's more of my impression than anything objective.
              Poor choice of words maybe. Unsubstantial would have been better.

That second Movado looks nice, as does your SNK. Their current Datrons are nice looking also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rachel Newsome
                I'm currently wearing a Breitling 76 emergency
                I love Breitling myself. I am currently eyeing a Super Avenger II.

Comment

• I'm torn on my next purchase. either going for a CW Trident GMT or an Orient Polaris

or

Comment

• I like hot but the hands on the c ward appeal to me.

Comment

• Orient has not appealed to me. Their dials usually have a lot going for instance the unnecessary power reserve, the words near 6pm, and the design above the words GMT when they already have the Orient logo. I would opt for the Christopher Ward watch but the whole dive watch and a GMT is odd as it is a pilot watch function.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clarkie_415 View Post
                        I'm torn on my next purchase. either going for a CW Trident GMT or an Orient Polaris

or

They're both fantastic watches. The only thing I can say is to ask yourself which watch will fill out your collection better. Interestingly enough, I'm actually looking at the very same Trident as my next purchase. If it helps at all I will say that I absolutely love my Polaris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
                          They're both fantastic watches. The only thing I can say is to ask yourself which watch will fill out your collection better. Interestingly enough, I'm actually looking at the very same Trident as my next purchase. If it helps at all I will say that I absolutely love my Polaris.
                          Wish CW made their Tridents in 40 or 41mm sizes. 38 is smaller than I prefer for that type of aesthetic, but 43mm looks goofy on my wrist.

Also fwiw, I like the Orient Adventurer over the Polaris.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/mobil....aspx?id=42334

Comment

• I'm pretty much in the same boat for wrist size. I had the chance to try on an older C61 and thought it looked pretty good on my wrist. So although I normally wouldn't go for a 38mm diver I will most likely make an exception here.

Comment

• I'd love to have a chance to try both sizes of the CW beforehand but as I type this I'm wearing my Sumo again. It doesn't wear overly large, possibly due to the case height and the aftermarket strap. 43mm seems reasonable.

Sumo dimensions:
                              Dimensions
                              Crystal Diameter 30.5mm
                              Bezel Diameter 42.5mm
                              Case Diameter 45mm
                              Case Diameter with crown 49mm
                              Lug Width 20mm
                              Lug Height 52mm
                              Thickness 13.5mm
                              Weight 171g

Regarding the Polaris, I have had my eye on the Orient Vintage or Star with the white face blue hands combination for years and this model just seems to fit the niche for me. Marries the hacking/hand winding movement with the textured dial.

In a perfect world I buy the CW then replace the Bambino with the Star and find a discontinued Orient Millenium in good shape.

Comment

• Casio again for the lake.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X