This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    So you post your watch and then immediately try to pick a fight that's not even there? I'm so confused by your logic.
    Yeah, sorta ... but the "gentlemen's disagreement" is already there. If you go back a few posts, there's quite a robust debate about the legitimacy and merits of "homage" watches. I happen to own a couple of real-deal originals, including a Speedmaster Pro that I really like. I also love my Steinhart.

Ultimately, I find it interesting that a significant group of folks out there is anti-homage when it comes to watches, but I don't see them campaigning for folks to only wear denim by Levis, desert boots by Clarks, OCBDs by Brooks Brothers, tassel loafers by Alden, penny loafers by Bass, ...
    Mark

Comment

Rolex Explorer II today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
        Yeah, sorta ... but the "gentlemen's disagreement" is already there. If you go back a few posts, there's quite a robust debate about the legitimacy and merits of "homage" watches. I happen to own a couple of real-deal originals, including a Speedmaster Pro that I really like. I also love my Steinhart.

Ultimately, I find it interesting that a significant group of folks out there is anti-homage when it comes to watches, but I don't see them campaigning for folks to only wear denim by Levis, desert boots by Clarks, OCBDs by Brooks Brothers, tassel loafers by Alden, penny loafers by Bass, ...
        I'd argue there's a different level of IP being copped by homage watches that copy effectively an entire specific look of a more expensive watch. and which rely on that copied look to sell their units, than there is with relatively generic looking jeans, boots, shirts and shoes, which I'd guarantee people aren't buying the others (which often are more expensive than the originals) solely to look like the originals. However, I won't disagree that there's some level of delineation that's required, so that you don't take an argument to its absolute irrational end. But maybe that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post

Eh. I'm in the middle on that whole debate. I hate some who do blatant ripoffs and call it an 'homage' . . . ie Invicta. But don't mind as much when they make some small updates and try to make it their own a bit. Unlike a lot of individuals, I do understand that almost everything in the watch world at this point is derived from some previous design. I also realize that some of the watches they are paying homage to are ones that aren't affordable for most folks.

I've actually owned the Steinhart OVM1 in the past before and thought it was a good homage without being a blatant ripoff. Eventually in true watch whore fashion I tired of it and moved on to something else.

Comment

Eh. I'm in the middle on that whole debate. I hate some who do blatant ripoffs and call it an 'homage' . . . ie Invicta. But don't mind as much when they make some small updates and try to make it their own a bit. Unlike a lot of individuals, I do understand that almost everything in the watch world at this point is derived from some previous design. I also realize that some of the watches they are paying homage to are ones that aren't affordable for most folks.

I've actually owned the Steinhart OVM1 in the past before and thought it was a good homage without being a blatant ripoff. Eventually in true watch whore fashion I tired of it and moved on to something else.
            Ah yes, the debate that will never end. I don't participate in it anymore but I do think the immediate defensive statements by the poster were amusing. "here is my watch and if you don't like it you are a hypocritical idiot!". Fun stuff.

Comment

I hate some who do blatant ripoffs and call it an 'homage' . . . ie Invicta.
              I've come around to this point of view, too, and got rid of my Explorer 1 "homage" I had a while back. Now I draw the line between derivative and impostor, and I agree the OVM1 is well on the safe side of that line.

Comment

So you post your watch and then immediately try to pick a fight that's not even there? I'm so confused by your logic.
                Preemptive over-defensiveness is just an expression of insecurity IMO.
                Ben

Comment

This guy has been my perfect companion for the past week down here in Costa Rica.

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                    I've come around to this point of view, too, and got rid of my Explorer 1 "homage" I had a while back. Now I draw the line between derivative and impostor, and I agree the OVM1 is well on the safe side of that line.
                    I think the OVM1 is as close to an imposter as you can get without actually faking brand insignias -- they've put their logos exactly where Rolex has theirs; the dial is marked 200M (like Rolex) even though it's a 300M watch; they put a "1" in a circle exactly where the Rolex has a "T", etc.

I guess my whole point is that I don't see a line unless the manufacturer creates actual fakes -- e.g., dials that say "Rolex" but aren't.

I think that certain watch industry watchers are somewhat unique compared to the rest of the fashion industry in their lack of tolerance for near copies, that's all.

And yes, watches are definitely fashion...

Of course the rest of the fashion industry can be pretty wacky. It's possible to buy a real MA-1 or M65 coat for under $200, or buy a fashion knockoff for more than $2000 - quite the reverse of the watch business...
                    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      Preemptive over-defensiveness is just an expression of insecurity IMO.
                      ... or just having juvenile fun ...
                      Mark

Comment

Deep Blue Master 2000 10YR - Smurf. I'll be wearing this one till my wedding.

Not my photo, but in case you don't know what I'm referencing (older version).

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                          This guy has been my perfect companion for the past week down here in Costa Rica.
                          Wish I'd picked up one of these watches back when they were being made.

DJ for the werk, werk, werk week...

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by paintflinger View Post
                            Deep Blue Master 2000 10YR - Smurf. I'll be wearing this one till my wedding.

Not my photo, but in case you don't know what I'm referencing (older version).
                            Love the orange hands on this watch.

What watch are you going to wear to the wedding?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                              Love the orange hands on this watch.

What watch are you going to wear to the wedding?
                              Again, not my photo, but this Deep Blue Ops with Tritium. Our honeymoon is in Ireland and the bridesmaids dresses are forest green, so I thought it was appropriate. Not too matchy and a nice splash of color/informality.

Comment

[MENTION=13371]paintflinger[/MENTION] Excellent choice for a wedding watch. That's how I partially chose my Explorer II for my up-coming wedding. The wife will be wearing white, so I figured the watch face of the Explorer II would be a nice fit/match on my wrist. Not to mention I like the look of the watch too.

Comment

Working...
                                X