Collar in or out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collar in or out?

A recent post in the WIWT thread made me wonder: where do you guys fall on the collar in vs. collar out under a sweater? I've seen style-conscious people on both sides of the issue, so I was wondering if this group has any consensus or advice.

Personally, I prefer a collar in (on a crew-neck). I think collars should be kept from spreading too much, and putting a collar on the outside makes that very difficult to accomplish. I think the collar in makes the collar look crisper and 'holds' the neck up (visually).

I definitely fall into the collar in camp. The vast majority of my shirts are button-downs (as in the collar), so I just like how it keeps everything together.

Comment

In

Comment

Regardless of sweater neck, IN. Appears more polished to me.

Comment

Always in. Out just makes you look like you've watched Blow one too many times or want to live in Vegas, and not in a good way.

Comment

Ya I was the one that posted the pic, and I always wear the shirt I have on in that pic with the collar tucked in. I am just notorious for rushing and arriving just barely in time, and I literally threw it on and snapped a pic in my bathroom and bolted. I tucked it in in the car when I realized on the way to the event haha.

I only wear 1 or 2 of my shirts with the collar out while wearing a v-neck sweater, and they have smaller collars, and I have collar stays in them.

Comment

Always in. With a crew neck, I usually wear a button down, it's easier to keep the collar in place.

Comment

Yeah, I think V-necks are tricky. For that it depends on how deep the neck is and the size of the collar. I'd still go in for most cases I think.

Comment

In

Comment

Always in. I actually hate when after a while passes by and I look in the mirror and notice that one of the sides of my collar is sticking out.

Comment

It really depends on the sweater/shirt. I am more of an out guy in general though.

Comment

In. Wurkin Stiffs help wrangle them.

Comment

More of an out guy, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've worn a sweater over a button-up in the past 6 months. I overheat easily so I prefer layers I can remove without much effort (jackets, waistcoats, cardigans, etc).

My collars seem to stand up pretty well, and they aren't particularly large, so even when they are "out" they don't really resemble the tacky '70s look.

Ben

Comment

Comment

I always keep mine In, to me it seems a little more clean look

Comment

Working...
                              X