To flipflop or not flipflop - that is the question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To flipflop or not flipflop - that is the question

So. While walking to work today I walked past six or seven different men, all sporting flipflops. They weren't going to the beach, they were strolling around just enjoying the sun.

Now I gotta say I used to be in the camp that thought wearing flipflops out of the house was ok. But over the past couple of years my attitude has changed and I am now firmly in the camp that flipflops are only for the beach. But am I out of line in thinking this? Is my old age starting to come through - hey you kids get off my lawn! - or what? So I thought I'd see what you guys thought.

Cheers.
    Yup - wear them all the time, all over the place
    16.36%
    Nope - toes should only be seen when in water or sand
    45.45%
    Meh - life is to short to worry about this. Do what you feel.
    38.18%

I realize that flip-flops are frowned upon on this forum and other style/fashion forums, but I wear them all the time, all over the place. I spent the bulk of my life in combat boots or crammed into ski boots and climbing shoes that were a size too small. I'm going to let my feet breathe now, and I don't really care what others think.

Comment

This time of year I wear them a lot. Anything that requires me to wear something more dressy than a t shirt or polo and i'll put on real shoes, but hanging out at the house, running errands, grocery shopping, around the pool, sitting on the patio at a local bar.....i'm probably wearing flip flops. Like [MENTION=13775]connersw[/MENTION] I spent a good portion of my life in combat boots and now I wear dress shoes 10-12 hours a day....and I live in a place where it is often over 100 degrees outside in the summer, so despite not being the most stylish or internet forum approved footwear option I am happy to wear them as often as i can.

Comment

There was a period in my life a few years ago when I adopted some rather rigid, formalistic "rules" for myself, like no shorts except for athletic/outdoor activities, only wearing collared shirts in public, etc. More recently I've decided that kind of rigidity is kind of pointless and have become more relaxed and focused on function.

I still don't really like flip-flops though. Heavy-duty water sandals, like Chacos, are a lot more secure and functional for what passes for the "beach" around here - aka lakes and rivers. It's just as easy to slip on a pair of boat shoes or loafers to take out the trash or run a quick errand. The only reason I can think to own flip-flops would be to wear in communal showers/saunas/whatever.
        Ben

Comment

Flip flops are ok in the right situation (such as the beach), but if you're wearing them around town I have to wonder what you're wearing them with. There are almost always better options for an adult man.

Comment

I personally never wear them anymore, but more due to the fact that I live in NYC and walking anywhere outside in them gets your feet absolutely disgusting (a hygene/health issue in addition to being unsightly). I don't have anything against them in terms of errands, house/outdoor wear where you're in very casual attire; however, I am a bit against them when you're dressing nicely at all (e.g., going to a sit-down restaurant, unless it's on the lake/beach/etc.). I also wear my boat shoes in most instances where flipflops would be appropriate, so given that in my day-to-day life flipflops aren't useful, I don't even own a pair anymore.

Comment

Having only lived in Southern California, guessing this is very much a regional thing as everyone here wears flip flops.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewisch View Post
                Having only lived in Southern California, guessing this is very much a regional thing as everyone here wears flip flops.

Yes, I agree this is very much a regional thing.

Comment

I lived in flip flops in college. Like many of you, I've largely replaced flip flops with boat shoes/loafers in my day to day wear. That being said, I still find flip flops to be way more comfortable on the hottest of hot days. Even the most breathable fabric can't give you that flip flip air flow. There's definitely been more than one occasion where the sun was beating down on my boat shoes, and I wished I still had my trusty Rainbows.

Comment

The only place I wear flip flops are at the beach or the shower at the gym. Not only do I think they are the synthesis of everything that is wrong with the way men dress and the loss of ocassion, but when I have worn them out I find them gross and unsanitary. My friend was wearing them in the French Quarter last year down Bourbon and I just found that to be one the most revolting sights I had ever seen. I was tempted to buy Clorox for him to soak his feet in
                    You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Living in the very south, think equator, flip flops for sure.

There are high quality, leather sandals, made in Italy as well when its not raining.

Comment

Originally posted by matthewisch View Post
                          Never thought of this. And yeah, you're probably right. Living in SoCal, I can see people wearing flipflops pretty much like I wear winter boots! Well said.

Comment

[MENTION=14776]MNJ83[/MENTION] Dramatic much?

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] Fwiw, I've also got AE Maritimes in brown cxl and AE Kirkwoods in blue cxl. Both are easy to wear for playing catch, bbqs, errands, or any casual setting. But my flip flops from Kohl's prob see at least double the wear. I see flip flops everywhere from burger joints to Sunday service.

Anyone else near LA, back me up!?

Comment

I wish there was a loafer that was as comfy as my thick rubber soled flip flops. They even have decent arch.
                              Is there something nice for warm/hot days with lots of walking? Something not sneakers casual? And something that doesn't freaking make slapping noises when I step like flip flops?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X