A matching question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A matching question

Hey there, fairly basic question here. But I just bought a navy suit (cheapo from H&M), as I'm not done growing yet. However, I was wondering if this would partner well with it (I'm thinking a plain white shirt). Thanks!

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/102481363

Certainly nothing wrong with that depending on the darkness of the navy. It may look a little off it's a dark midnight type navy as it's close to black. But standard navy blue will go with just about anything except black.

Edited to Add: I don't think I'd sport this either but if you love the combo and can pull it off with confidence go for it.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Technically brown matches with blue, but i dont think id sport that.

Comment

I don't see the problem, but I wouldn't wear the tie and the pocket square together. It would be a little too matchy matchy. But separately, I think they both do just fine.

It's not a particularly colorful combination for the next 5-6 months, but it'll work just fine in fall and winter. I'd wear it in the colder months without thinking twice.

Since navy and that brown are both particularly dark, pairing them with a white shirt may appear stark. There's no harm in giving it a shot, but also consider wearing a lightly patterned blue/white or solid light blue shirt to bring everything within the same tonal range. I would be cautious about introducing a third color, though, unless you really know what you're doing - like perhaps burgundy/white tattersal. Both of those would reinforce a fall look, though.

One thing to keep in mind, though. While the color isn't a turn-off, it is 2.5" wide. If that's what you like then cool. Otherwise, it's somethnig to consider. Personally, 2.5" is the absolute minimum tie width for me, and only for particular ties.

Comment

Thanks all, I really appreciate it. This is actually for something I've been asked to attend representing our school, and they said they'd prefer us to wear school colours (baby blue and brown). Maybe if I paired those with a light blue shirt then it'd look better (and be in keeping with the school colours).

Comment

I see no reason why that wouldn't work, but I would still exchange the pocket square.

Comment

+1 to Alan's comments. Light blue or patterned shirt and a different pocket square. I like the square, but I wouldn't wear it with that tie. Also, navy, brown and either a white or light blue shirt gives you a lot of freedom to use a fun square.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Light blue and brown is a favorite of mine. Definitely a solid choice.

Comment

Working...
                X