Style Guide from Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Style Guide from Australia

I thought some of you might be interested in this on-line magazine from a high class menswear retailer in Australia - just to show that we don't all wear Ugg Boots and Khaki, wrestle crocodiles and ride around on kangaroos ;-)

http://www.henrybucks.com.au/magazine/

Rob, as an American, I have a very rigid belief in what people from many other countries are like. Mostly learned from TV. I would hate to mess up my (likely true) image I have of Australians that I learned at Outback steakhouse :P

In my head you box kangaroos.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks for pointing out that style guide, but its really not necessary. Everything I need to know about Australia, I've already garnered from watching Crocodile Dundee. I've learned that shark teeth are perfectly acceptable accessories and clothing should be made to accommodate very big knives.

Comment

Very disappointed. I really liked that khaki I had in my mental picture of the generic Australian man. Nonethless, I enjoyed that magazine-thing very much.

Comment

Having made those claims however, I will admit to regularly being frightened by suicidal kangaroos jumping across the road in front of my car when I'm travelling at night - and sometimes during the day!

And I do like the half-dozen or so that come out of the bush to graze on the lawn outside my building at the university where I work!

Comment

@Rob Kangaroos sound like inconsiderate a-holes. At least it is interesting!

Comment

@Cannon Kangaroos are just being kangaroos - although I would be happier if we had small grey squirrels to run in front of our cars!

And although I like the Henry Bucks style guide my clothing budget only works if I buy on-line (from US or UK) and in sales - and never from HB's!

Comment

@Rob: I just caught another squirrel in my fireplace. Want me to ship it to you? :-P

Comment

I know several people from Australia and they're very laid back. I don't think I've ever seen them in a tie. Oh, and everything has to go with a suntan / sunburn

Comment

Thanks for the link, Rob. Some nice stuff.

Comment

This is what a magazine should be not all that crap in GQ, although i like the articles in Esquire...props to henry bucks...you aussies have style...i can finnally lay my ignorance that everyone in australia is either indigenous or a crocodile hunter...i kid i kid

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                      I>0<I

Comment

Be careful what you wish for. I would rather have a kangaroo run in front of my car than a 1400 lb moose - especially since they've got those long, spindly legs that have a habit of buckling under the car and sending the moose's whole body crashing into the windshield and killing everyone in the front seat. Just sayin'.

Really, though, I watch so much Communitychannel that my only stereotype of Australians is that they are all short, quirky Asian women in hipster glasses.

http://www.youtube.com/user/communit...eature=g-all-u

Ben

Comment

Canadians view Australians as Canadians with an accent, and the Australians I have met, viewed us as Australians with an accent. A lot of them come up here and spend a couple years living and snowboarding. Thats where I met a lot of them anyway. They are a real great time, and we seem to naturally get along. We also have a lot of students here, likewise a lot of people here go there for university.

As for the magazine, I like it, but theres some serious moustache going on. For some reason, I cant take moustaches seriously. I like facial hair in any form, just not a moustache. I think Movember's hilarious offerings have ruined them for me forever. That and the hilarious pictures of my dad with his from the 70s.

Comment

@BenR: We have the same problem here in Texas... Except with cows and deer.

Comment

Working...
                            X