Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inherited Seamaster 300

Hey all,

Yesterday I inherited this Omega Seamaster 300 from my grandfather, and while it still runs like a charm (I believe it's quartz, based on my [very] limited knowledge), it needs a polish on the crystal and all the metal, replaced parts on the bracelet ends, (as seen in the pictures), several links removed, and water seals replaced (can you do that?). I'm going to call both watch shops in Arlington (where I am currently. There are no good watch shops in Alaska), to get an estimate tomorrow, and I was wondering if the forum watch community had any suggestions as to my intended repairs and anything else that I should do to take care of it. Thanks in advance guys!

EDIT: thanks to you lovely people, I know realize it's an automatic.
    Pics below:

Last edited by Terminado; June 11, 2016, 11:16 AM.
    Duncan

I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

One more picture:
    Duncan

Comment

The only think I can help with is to confirm that it's an automatic; says so on the face right under 'Omega'. Anyway, best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
        The only think I can help with is to confirm that it's an automatic; says so on the face right under 'Omega'. Anyway, best of luck!
        Thank you! I can't believe I didn't notice that, I looked at the case back but not the face. D'oh.
        Duncan

Comment

I have no suggestions for you but that is a very nice watch. I think you'll enjoy it for years to come.

Comment

I don't think it's Quartz, it says on the face "Automatic". A good watch shop can polish the case and crystal, and service the watch which usually includes replacing the seals and such. I had an older Tag done last year and it was around $400.

Also, if that's the original band, you can get that polished as well. You might consider swapping the metal band for leather, it will let you keep the wear and tear off the original, which is hard to replace.

Comment

http://thatwatchandmore.blogspot.com...aster-300.html

That might be a helpful resource for learning more about your watch
              Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Chadanth View Post
                I don't think it's Quartz, it says on the face "Automatic". A good watch shop can polish the case and crystal, and service the watch which usually includes replacing the seals and such. I had an older Tag done last year and it was around $400.

Also, if that's the original band, you can get that polished as well. You might consider swapping the metal band for leather, it will let you keep the wear and tear off the original, which is hard to replace.
                Thanks man! Amesbury set me straight last night on the mechanism of the watch.
                Alright, now I know exactly what today get done, plus getting a couple links off the band, which is (happily) an original.
                That's a good suggestion, I hadn't necessarily thought of that. I will, as well as maybe picking up some NATOs for variety.

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION]
                I was a bit stunned to receive it. Even unpolished it's absolutely gorgeous.

[MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION]
                I'll check it out. Thank you!
                Last edited by Terminado; June 11, 2016, 11:15 AM.
                Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by Terminado View Post
                  Thanks man! Amesbury set me straight last night on the mechanism of the watch.
                  Alright, now I know exactly what today get done, plus getting a couple links off the band, which is (happily) an original.
                  That's a good suggestion, I hadn't necessarily thought of that. I will, as well as maybe picking up some NATOs for variety.
                  You're welcome. I'd even suggest a leather band if you want to keep a little bit of formality. Enjoy, that's a very nice watch with some history.

Comment

[MENTION=6877]Chadanth[/MENTION]
                    One more thing...I've never owned an automatic watch before, and this one does not appear to hand wind. Any ideas what the winding mechanism might be?
                    Duncan

Comment

[MENTION=15132]Terminado[/MENTION], it's self-winding, hence "automatic". In essence, there's a weight inside that moves around in response to the watch being worn normally, and that weight winds the watch as it moves.

Be careful with having the case polished. That can change the look of the watch as edges and material are lost. Consider living with the case and just polishing the crystal.

Comment

Noted, [MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION]. It could use some cleaning on the underside though.
                        Duncan

Comment

Terminado: Please don't take this the wrong way, but by reading your comments it's obvious that you know nothing about watches. I've collected watches for years and have owned a few Omegas, Rolex, and also several vintage dive watches, which is what you have there. That particular Seamaster 300 is a pretty desirable and collectible dive watch if it's all original and hasn't been over polished or brushed. Before you start jacking around with it or send it off to some hack I highly recommend you learn a little about automatic watches, and that watch in particular. For example, how to wind it. In this case it has a screw down crown, which once unscrewed will allow you to wind the watch (approx. 40 turns) like any other mechanical watch. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because while that is a rugged dive watch, it is of a vintage nature. It's probably worth a decent amount and therefore I'd make sure I knew what I was doing AND I would not send it off to just anyone to repair and service. I'd probably go straight to Omega themselves unless you had a really good local guy who was vetted and who uses authentic Omega parts. Just my dos centavos.

If you have any questions PM me. I've sent watches off for service and have used both the manufacturer as well as independents. I can give you a few recommendations. Also, stay off Watchuseek forums. Those guys for the most part don't know jack.

Comment

[MENTION=14858]DMB[/MENTION]
                            I really don't, no offense taken. I'm 18 and the most expensive watch I've owned previously is an L.L. Bean field. And I'm not getting it polished or anything, just serviced, and the guy I'm using is well researched and uses official Omega parts. Thank you so much, and I'm glad to have you for a resource.
                            Duncan

Comment

Beautiful watch and great advice from [MENTION=14858]DMB[/MENTION].

Enjoy that watch. I'd just polish the crystal and have it serviced. The aging and scratches give it character.

I'd also keep using the original metal band. NATO straps are cool but with a vintage watch like that I'd keep it looking original. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy it!

Comment

Working...
                              X