Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inherited Seamaster 300

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    [MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION]
    thank you!! I was advised not to polish the crystal either, I might in the future though. And as far as the band: I absolutely agree, but rotating straps will increase its versatility and extend the life of the bracelet. Thanks again!
    Duncan

    I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

    Comment


      #17
      First off, its your watch, wear it the way you want. I love it by the way. One of my favorite vintage pieces.

      But if it were my watch from MY grandfather...man, I would not polish that thing at all. Leave it vintage and original. Probably get it serviced is all and then wear it as is. People will see it and know it has a story. If you want a new and shiny watch, buy one and keep that one the way it is. Doing too much to it is like taking a classic 69 shelby and putting shiny rims, flame stickers and neon lights under it. If the vintage watch isnt your thing to wear, thats cool but get it serviced and stick it in a display as a memento of your grandfather. You have a vintage collector piece there and at the very least it is worth some money. Doing much to it will diminish that. If you want to wear it and don't like bracelets, at least stick with a high quality perlon like Eulit or maybe a good rubber strap. They are both comfortable and some people just dont like bracelets. And rotating straps actually introduces wear and often results in tool marks on the lugs. Also it could lend towards irregular patina from watch to bracelet if the watch continues to get wear but the bracelet doesn't. Do it if you want, but don't do it to lengthen any life or preserve any condition. Preserve the entire thing or wear the entire thing if you want to maintain he most legitimate condition.

      Comment


        #18
        What a great watch to inherit! Congrats, take these guys' advice on maintaining it. Enjoy it!

        Comment


          #19
          [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] thanks!! I didn't polish it, just got it serviced. It's actually on my wrist right now. If I am to get another strap for it, I'm not going to rotate on a too-frequent basis, so it shouldn't wear it down too much. But I see what you're saying and will consider it.
          @dropscu
          Thanks! As someone pointed out earlier, I know very little about watches. That said, I knew just enough that when I got this, I knew I would come to you guys for advice.
          Duncan

          I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

          Comment


            #20
            [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] [MENTION=6877]Chadanth[/MENTION] [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] [MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] [MENTION=14858]DMB[/MENTION] [MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] [MENTION=3886]drocpsu[/MENTION]

            Thank you guys for all the help! I took my watch to watch to Mr. Lee at 24 hour watch and clockworks in Arlington, Virginia, who did an incredible job. Even replaced the corroded spring-bar with an Omega component. As per your advice I didn't get it polished or anything, just serviced, and it looks incredible just having been lightly cleaned. I'd like to offer you all my deepest thanks for helping my inexperienced self do the best by this watch, and present a couple pictures of it on my wrist.

            Duncan

            I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

            Comment


              #21
              Looks awesome !!! That sea master is a classic in dive watch circles.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Terminado View Post
                [MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] [MENTION=6877]Chadanth[/MENTION] [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] [MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] [MENTION=14858]DMB[/MENTION] [MENTION=13934]hockeysc23[/MENTION] [MENTION=12021]idvsego[/MENTION] [MENTION=3886]drocpsu[/MENTION]

                Thank you guys for all the help! I took my watch to watch to Mr. Lee at 24 hour watch and clockworks in Arlington, Virginia, who did an incredible job. Even replaced the corroded spring-bar with an Omega component. As per your advice I didn't get it polished or anything, just serviced, and it looks incredible just having been lightly cleaned. I'd like to offer you all my deepest thanks for helping my inexperienced self do the best by this watch, and present a couple pictures of it on my wrist.

                Looks great, wear it and enjoy it!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Ah you're in my neighborhood (Springfield VA). Congrats on the watch. Maybe it's me but I'd replace the crystal and keep the original just incase. I don't know as much about keeping value for watches as nice as that but from a usability stance I think it's a tad bit hard to read (maybe the glare). Either way enjoy it! Great story, history, and watch.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    Ah you're in my neighborhood (Springfield VA). Congrats on the watch. Maybe it's me but I'd replace the crystal and keep the original just incase. I don't know as much about keeping value for watches as nice as that but from a usability stance I think it's a tad bit hard to read (maybe the glare). Either way enjoy it! Great story, history, and watch.
                    It is the glare! It actually reads really nicely, but it photographed better this way! I'll keep that in mind though.
                    Duncan

                    I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Beautiful watch and thanks for posting the pics. From what I can see in the pictures, I'd leave the watch as is; maybe switch out the band for a leather strap. But aside from that, the watch looks pretty damn good to me. Thanks for sharing.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        “Automatic” is just another term for “self-winding”, meaning the watch winds itself using a weight inside the watch that oscillates to put tension on the mainspring through the random motion of the watch wearer’s arm. Batteries not included — or needed."

                        -Gear Patrol http://gearpatrol.com/2014/04/01/how...movement-work/

                        Comment


                          #27
                          [MENTION=11046]whereismurder[/MENTION]
                          Cleared up! Thanks bud.
                          Duncan

                          I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I'm late to the party (new to the forum) but that is a acrylic crystal similar to whats found on the Speedmaster Pro's so you can gently polish it with some polywatch and it should look like new. If you're worried about getting crazy you can tape off the bezel before you polish.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Perseus View Post
                              I'm late to the party (new to the forum) but that is a acrylic crystal similar to whats found on the Speedmaster Pro's so you can gently polish it with some polywatch and it should look like new. If you're worried about getting crazy you can tape off the bezel before you polish.
                              Thanks man! I'll look into that.
                              Duncan

                              I know my username is dumb; blame 12 year old me.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X