Cost of tailoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of tailoring

Hey guys I just dropped off a sports coat to get the arm length slightly shortened to show some shirt cuff and two pairs if pants to have the length adjusted.

I paid $35 for the coat and $15 for each pant. Is this about average pricing?

My tailor hems pants for 10 bucks each. I can get a suit jacket adjusted (sleeves, take in the waist, taper arms) for 35.

Comment

I'm paying $25 for shortening the sleeves on a sportcoat the regular way and $50 to shorten sleeves with functional cuffs from the shoulders. I pay $15 for hemming and tapering pants. I usually pay $35 for sleeves + waist suppression on a sportcoat.

Comment

I have used the same tailor for everything I do, so he gives me a good price now. Hes a local guy that does his own bespoke suiting, with a small local clientel. Sleeve shortening alone is $16 (normally charged $22ish), and to have sleeves and the waist taken in is $29. Original prices when I started going there were more.

I just dropped off my summer wardrobe to him, 6 jackets total, all but 1 needing sleeve adjustment, all needing to be taken in, and 2 needing shoulder work done, and hes charging me $180.

Comment

$45 for taking up the sleeves on sport coats here in NY. Highway robbery in my opinion.

Comment

$15 for sleeves and for hemming pants or darts in shirts

$70 to alter the back, waist & hips of a coat

Can always offer to pay cash to see if there's a discount. Like Focuspants said, the more you go to a small tailor shop, the better the rates get.

Comment

The shop I go to is a small tailor shop. Unfortunately, they don't grow on trees out here. This guy charges out the ass.

For pants, I've gone to the dry cleaner, who do an OK job, but certainly not perfect. The break always ends up being a bit larger than I wanted.

Comment

Great timing on this thread. I was researching the average price on getting a dress shirt taken in. What do you guys usually pay for darting/sides taken in/sleeves taken in etc?

Comment

Back from the tailor to see what they could do with my H&M linen blazer. I'm not sure about this place, but they asked $20 for the sleeves instead of the $40 from another place (where they did a mediocre job), so I was willing to give them a try.

They asked $35 for the shoulders (still not sure about this, I'm a bit scared about the operation, but it looks like something they do somewhat frequently), $15 for the waist (they didn't even have the price listed, so she came up with a price) and I'll have to come back for the sleeves, since we're taking in the shoulders.

At least if they do a bad job, I'm losing a cheap H&M blazer, not an expensive suit.

Comment

@Jeremy bringing in the sides is $15, same for sleeves, but usually $25 for both.

Comment

@Jason Thanks, the cleaner/tailor by my house charges $16 for sides $22 for both so that is right in the range.

Comment

I've found that the best tailoring deals are to be found at senior citizen homes. Many nursing homes have "earn your keep" programs where their residents are required to sew all day in order to retain their shared room. Tailoring at these facilities usually costs around a quarter of what a private tailor charges.

Comment

@bruschetta. I don't know. I find the thought of granny's old arthritic fingers working on taking in my new $100 shirt at a prison discount so she doesn't get booted from her nursing home kinda sad.

Comment

Suddenly I just had images of Happy Gilmore in my head..

"well now you back is gonna hurt.. because you just landed landscaping duty.."

Comment

I had an old suit that needed pretty much every adjustment. Sleeves shortened, length shortened, vents closed, and the sides taken in. Also had the pants hemmed and waist taken in. I paid $130 for the job. The suit was worn once before and the shoulders fit fine so I decided it was worth it instead of paying for a new suit.

I recently brought in 6 shirts to get darted and paid $80.

Comment

Working...
                              X