Dress Shirt Sizing. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Shirt Sizing. Help!

Hey all I've been a regular reader for a while but this is the first I've ventured to make a post. So thanks for all the past advice and entertainment. Hopefully some of the more sartorially experienced guys can help out.

I recently lost a lot of weight and am in the process of revamping my wardrobe. At the moment I'm on dress shirts. Most of what I have currently are so baggy they make me seaworthy and the Macy's sale going on seems like a good chance to stock up.

The problem is my with my collar size of 16.5" most dress shirts would be cut to a 44 chest at most. My jacket size is a 48 and my waist a 38.

Will it fit? What options do I have other than buying a shirt with a huge neck or doing everything bespoke?

If it helps I'm 5 11 220 with a muscular build. Thanks for your help.

Dress for style, live for results.

Jeez man. With a 10 inch drop and that neck size, I would give MTM a shot. More expensive but the fit will be muuuch better.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Wow, you must be jacked... I'm about the same height and weigh about 200 but I only wear a 41R.

Umm... I guess you'll just have to try things on. I think you'll have to go for a regular (non-fitted) shirt and get it brought in by a tailor.

Comment

Yeah...my neck is a half inch smaller but my chest is 8" smaller than yours....what the duece?

Comment

To consider as you're shopping. Doesn't have to be this skin tight, but you get the idea with the neck and sleeves:

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/a-...e-to-shirt-fit

Comment

Get things tailored. I pay $6 dollars to get the sides taken in on my dress shirts, and $6 more if I want the sleeves slimmed. I don't even go out looking for slim shirts anymore, everything I buy I just make sure it fits in the neck and shoulders and then its off to my tailor.

Comment

Would you like me to post a workout thread?

Thanks all for the input. I wish I could afford to get everything MTM.

Sounds like my best option is buy shirts a little bigger and get it taken in as needed!

Comment

ratioclothing.com

Comment

split got it right. i do the same. some times i even buy regular size instead of trim, and have the tailor bring in the waist and sleeves. once i started using a tailor, i started to wear whole bunch of shirt i owned but was not wearing as they were too billowy. I would say take the shirt you like best to a tailor, you might be pleasantly surprised. I would think you may ge a volume discount too.

Comment

Damn...aspiring mr. olympia?

Comment

tomservo - Don't size up in the neck. You want the neck to fit right.

Can experiment or research brands that accomodate your sizing, as you probably have, but sizing up in the neck won't be fixable with darts from a tailor. All a tailor can do with the neck is slide the button a touch, if at all, depending on the design of the collar. A point collar, you get about 1/4" of leeway, tops.

Comment

For those wondering/in the same boat, Charles Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts fit like a glove. Will be buying more for sure.

Comment

Cool, they fit me well too. I feel more muscular already.

Comment

hahaha. Jason, glad I could help. Also got my Hickey Freeman suit today. Will take some pictures. Absolutely needs some tailoring but wow.....

Comment

If you're going to buy OTR shirts and have them taken in by a tailor, try to buy shirts without a pocket. When the tailor takes in the sides, the pocket shifts to the armpit, sometimes so much it looks like it's in the armpit.

Comment

Working...
                              X