DIY Tailoring Leg Opening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Tailoring Leg Opening

I've got some fairly thick legs/rear end and so I end up having to size up several waist sizes in order to get my pants to fit in those areas. This creates a very large leg opening and does not taper well to my shoe. Was wondering if you guys had any experience tailoring the leg opening (from the knee down) on your own. I know the tailor can do this but if it's a rather simple task Id rather not spend the extra money and do it myself. Most of the guides I've seen online are for tailoring the entire pants leg but I am only looking to tailor from the knee down. I heard doing this on your own is difficult as there will be an obvious dimple or pinch point from where you stop the taper and it won't be a smooth transition to the original seam. If you guys have any links or resources to help me learn how to do this it will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    JY

have you tried athletic fit pants?

Comment

Do you own a sewing machine? If so, this is a pretty easy tailoring job. If you look at your jeans or chinos, you'll notice that there are two leg seams. One of them will be a "felled seam" which is double folded and ferquently has some decorative stitching on it. The other seams is just a simple straight seam and is usually pressed open on the inside. (Photos would obviously be helpful here, but I don't have my camera handy.) It's a pretty simple tasks to narrow the leg along the simple seam and then re-hem the pants a the bottom. I've done this on a few different pair of jeans and chinos. I usually start a gentle taper down from the level of my knee cap, but you could do it higher or lower depending on how wide your pant legs are.

One easy way to figure out what measurements you're shooting for is to take a pair of pants that fit you well and then duplicate the measurements of that pair of pants. Measure the width of the leg at the crotch, mid-thigh, at the knee and at the ankle. Then duplicate those measurements for your new pants. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by tairby View Post
        have you tried athletic fit pants?
        I have tried a couple athletic fit pants and they still do not taper below the knee as much as I'd like. I actually have very tiny feet so I need some extra tapering

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
          Do you own a sewing machine? If so, this is a pretty easy tailoring job. If you look at your jeans or chinos, you'll notice that there are two leg seams. One of them will be a "felled seam" which is double folded and ferquently has some decorative stitching on it. The other seams is just a simple straight seam and is usually pressed open on the inside. (Photos would obviously be helpful here, but I don't have my camera handy.) It's a pretty simple tasks to narrow the leg along the simple seam and then re-hem the pants a the bottom. I've done this on a few different pair of jeans and chinos. I usually start a gentle taper down from the level of my knee cap, but you could do it higher or lower depending on how wide your pant legs are.

One easy way to figure out what measurements you're shooting for is to take a pair of pants that fit you well and then duplicate the measurements of that pair of pants. Measure the width of the leg at the crotch, mid-thigh, at the knee and at the ankle. Then duplicate those measurements for your new pants. Good luck!
          I actually do not own a sewing machine currently but was thinking of investing in one so I can make adjustments on my own. Thanks for response. I'm assuming you do not have more detailed instructions on how to do this? I'm a complete beginner and have never worked a sewing machine before. Also, from what I read, it seems like only altering from one seam will create an imbalance and that people recommend that you take in from both sides. Do you see anything like that when you take in from only the simple seam?
          Last edited by jyii07; May 10, 2016, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jyii07 View Post
            I actually do not own a sewing machine currently but was thinking of investing in one so I can make adjustments on my own. Thanks for response. I'm assuming you do not have more detailed instructions on how to do this? I'm a complete beginner and have never worked a sewing machine before. Also, from what I read, it seems like only altering from one seam will create an imbalance and that people recommend that you take in from both sides. Do you see anything like that when you take in from only the simple seam?
            I would strongly recommend that you look for videos of this instead of trying to learn how to do this from forum posts. There are tons of videos on YouTube of how to do this. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=taper+pants

I doubt tapering from just one side is going to result in a noticeable imbalance.

Comment

Originally posted by jyii07 View Post
              I have tried a couple athletic fit pants and they still do not taper below the knee as much as I'd like. I actually have very tiny feet so I need some extra tapering
              Post photo and perhaps we can convince you that you actually look good without some extreme tapering?

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                I would strongly recommend that you look for videos of this instead of trying to learn how to do this from forum posts. There are tons of videos on YouTube of how to do this. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=taper+pants

I doubt tapering from just one side is going to result in a noticeable imbalance.
                Thanks for the suggestion. I actually watched the first three videos during my initial research. I'll do some additional digging to see which video best describes what I'm trying to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                  Post photo and perhaps we can convince you that you actually look good without some extreme tapering?
                  Haha well actually my gf was the one who said that my pants look like "dad jeans" and I did not disagree

Comment

Sewing isn't rocket science, but neither is it a skill that one picks up in an evening after watching a few YouTube videos. If you're really committed to learning how to sew, go take a class. There are a bunch of little things that are best learned by having someone explain them to you.

Comment

I have tapered several pairs of pants, with really good results overall. It's really quite easy, even for someone with little to no experience. I learned from this tutorial. It has lots of great photos and explains each step in detail. If all you're going for is a taper from the knee down, you should be able to do that no problem, as issues only really arise when dealing with the crotch. After you figure this out on a pair or two, you'll be blazing through the whole procedure in maybe 15 minutes. Plus, you'll save the $30 dollars (or likely more) that a tailor would charge for the job.

Check out some of his other articles if you're interested. There's another tutorial on slimming shirts, which turns out to be very similar, and similarly effective.

Comment

Working...
                      X