Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hang drying all the clothes I don't want (or can't afford) to shrink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang drying all the clothes I don't want (or can't afford) to shrink?

Is this okay for the clothes? I have multiple dress shirts, denim, and pants which if they shrank would cease to fit. Does it damage the clothing to hang dry them only?

I don't see why it should, with the exception of knits/sweaters which should be laid flat to dry so they don't stretch out of shape.

Comment

I think it's the opposite. It does damage to the clothes to machine dry them. It's much easier to buy clothes that fit off the rack and never machine dry them. That's what I do.

Comment

Hang drying is far easier on your clothes than toasting them in the drier.

Comment

I've been doing it for over 8 years and haven't had a problem. They don't smell as nice as laundry dried with dryer sheets and may feel a bit stiff compared to machine drying but nothing noticable.

Comment

I dry all my dress shirt on hangers from the shower curtain rod. I little fabric softener in the wash keeps them soft.

Comment

I hang dry all of my shirts, polos, and jeans (when I wash the latter). I've been able to keep clothes for quite a long time in part because of this, I think.

Comment

Has anyone tried the home dry cleaning kits?

You spot clean then pop in a bag that holds steam in while tumbling in the dryer. They all advise prompt removal from the dryer (obviously).

Comment

I do my clothes and dress shirts half & half in dryer. I put it on delicate in dryer for 1 round of 13 minutes of air fluff to take out alot of the heavy water still in the shirt. Then I hang dry them for the rest of the time. Its just a speed up procedure that has worked marvelous for me. But I also do get some dress shirts laundered because I can do it for 99 cents a piece which sometimes is cheaper than my time.

Comment

I'm wondering because I pulled a bunch of beat up kids sport coats from my parent's basement that I wore as a kid. They spent a fortune on them at the time (Burberry, etc), but they weren't stored properly and have some stains. I'd rather not spend the money to dryclean them only to find they're permanent stains, but I'd like to try to salvage them.

Comment

Don't put tailored clothing in the dryer. It will lose its shape and any parts that are fused can start bubbling.

Comment

@nicholascrawford Anything in my size?

Comment

JC - Thoughts on hand washing with water and drying flat?

Jessy - It's way too small for you. =)

Comment

@nicholascrawford I've been looking at kids blazers for the past two days, a Burberry sportcoat would have been nice !

What are you planning to do with those ?

Comment

I wouldn't suggest doing anything but drycleaning any jacket that has a canvassed breast / lapels. Unstructured blazers, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X