Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you look for in a watch to make sure the watch is a good buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In terms of bang for your buck, and depending on what exactly you look for in a watch, Vostok is a pretty great option for something a little quirky and very utilitarian. I picked up two different versions of their Amphibia model diver a couple of months back, and I'm in the process of modding them a little at a time. They come in some fantastic case shapes (I picked up a bead-blasted stainless 090 model with a black dial and a polished stainless 710 with a green and gold dial). The bezels and bracelets are garbage, but you can easily swap them for aftermarket and wind up with a unique watch for under $80 all told. They use acrylic crystals, so they aren't as scratch resistant as mineral crystal, but they can also easily be buffed out at home. Are they Rolex or Cartier quality watches? Absolutely not. But they're surprisingly accurate, they're cool as hell, and if you're willing to do a little DIY, replacement OEM or aftermarket parts are widely available. Not an heirloom by any stretch of the imagination, but you can get a whole drawer full to enjoy and knock around for way less than one entry-level Rolex.

Edit, since I failed to say what I actually meant to pertaining to the topic of the post: Obviously a watch should keep good time. It should also be visually appealing, but this is hugely subjective. My Vostoks, which I think I seriously cool, might not be of interest to someone who wants flawless fit and finish. I also value my inexpensive watches for the fact that I don't feel like I have to baby them. If they're destroyed, I won't have to sell any organs to buy a new one or the parts to repair one. As someone who likes to tinker, I like a watch I can modify and service without the fear of destroying something worth thousands of dollars. If you wear a watch as a status symbol or fetishize luxury brands and impeccable craftsmanship, do what makes you happy. But I love the aforementioned qualities in a watch.
    Last edited by JaimeGarcia; May 4, 2016, 03:28 PM.

Comment

some of the invicta models are all over the place like crazy. tons of gawdy styles. the good ones never seem to appear in an actual store, on sale.

but the one that seemed to have the most gravitas to me was the $85 "Invicta Men's 8926OB Pro Diver Stainless Steel Automatic Watch with Link Bracelet" , on amazon here

I have one, and it had survived a lot of abuse, until I fell on it tripping over a curb in downtown boston. It hit the adjacent curb on the corner, which is made of limestone. it trashed the watch, unfortunately.

The automatic thing was neat, but since I have a few different watches I like to rotate through in a week, it made more sense to get the least expensive Quartz one they have. I feel like it's kind of a bother to re-set the automatic if I miss it for more than a day, and I feel like buying a automatic watch mover thingy is a little bit ridiculous for a bunch of china made watches I don't really need anyways.

Now, as a replacement I have a Japanese movement Quartz "Invicta Men's 8932 Pro Diver Collection Silver-Tone Watch", which has not missed a beat since I got it.

The crown doesn't look as much like the rolex, with out the coin-edge, and that's just fine with me.

Comment

now on the other hand, I think Invicta might also be noted as being the biggest producer of the most gawdy or steampunk watches in the whole world.

:-(

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

some of the invicta models are all over the place like crazy. tons of gawdy styles. the good ones never seem to appear in an actual store, on sale.

but the one that seemed to have the most gravitas to me was the $85 "Invicta Men's 8926OB Pro Diver Stainless Steel Automatic Watch with Link Bracelet" , on amazon here

I have one, and it had survived a lot of abuse, until I fell on it tripping over a curb in downtown boston. It hit the adjacent curb on the corner, which is made of limestone. it trashed the watch, unfortunately.

The automatic thing was neat, but since I have a few different watches I like to rotate through in a week, it made more sense to get the least expensive Quartz one they have. I feel like it's kind of a bother to re-set the automatic if I miss it for more than a day, and I feel like buying a automatic watch mover thingy is a little bit ridiculous for a bunch of china made watches I don't really need anyways.

Now, as a replacement I have a Japanese movement Quartz "Invicta Men's 8932 Pro Diver Collection Silver-Tone Watch", which has not missed a beat since I got it.

The crown doesn't look as much like the rolex, with out the coin-edge, and that's just fine with me.
          if you still have the trashed 8926, hit me up. I have 2 8926 models but have made some changes to them...

my favorite so far
          http://i.imgur.com/kEAqHfB.jpg

a work in progress as the case was in very rough shape when I got it
          http://i.imgur.com/AOd5cB8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JaimeGarcia View Post
            In terms of bang for your buck, and depending on what exactly you look for in a watch, Vostok is a pretty great option for something a little quirky and very utilitarian. I picked up two different versions of their Amphibia model diver a couple of months back, and I'm in the process of modding them a little at a time. They come in some fantastic case shapes (I picked up a bead-blasted stainless 090 model with a black dial and a polished stainless 710 with a green and gold dial). The bezels and bracelets are garbage, but you can easily swap them for aftermarket and wind up with a unique watch for under $80 all told. They use acrylic crystals, so they aren't as scratch resistant as mineral crystal, but they can also easily be buffed out at home. Are they Rolex or Cartier quality watches? Absolutely not. But they're surprisingly accurate, they're cool as hell, and if you're willing to do a little DIY, replacement OEM or aftermarket parts are widely available. Not an heirloom by any stretch of the imagination, but you can get a whole drawer full to enjoy and knock around for way less than one entry-level Rolex.

Edit, since I failed to say what I actually meant to pertaining to the topic of the post: Obviously a watch should keep good time. It should also be visually appealing, but this is hugely subjective. My Vostoks, which I think I seriously cool, might not be of interest to someone who wants flawless fit and finish. I also value my inexpensive watches for the fact that I don't feel like I have to baby them. If they're destroyed, I won't have to sell any organs to buy a new one or the parts to repair one. As someone who likes to tinker, I like a watch I can modify and service without the fear of destroying something worth thousands of dollars. If you wear a watch as a status symbol or fetishize luxury brands and impeccable craftsmanship, do what makes you happy. But I love the aforementioned qualities in a watch.
            missed the vostok recommendation. I liek them too.

https://idversusego.wordpress.com/tag/vostok-710-sport/

https://idversusego.wordpress.com/tag/vostok-field/

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
              this might seem like a pessimistic view.

since you can get competent watches with relatively good sapphire crystals, and super-reliable japanese automatic and quartz movements for maybe between $120 and $80. I don't think any watch is going to be a "good buy".

So just find something that you like! If you're tossing $3000 out the window, make sure it's something you dig!

Ultimately, as much as watch forum guys like to talk about the accuracy or the jeweles in the movement, it's not really a time piece. Your iphone knows what time it is better than any wrist watch, afterall.

The watch is just jewlery, which is subjective as fuck. You attach your own value to the watch you like, your emotional connection to it makes it your favorite.

So find one you like! one you just love. Buy that one! Or else you might as well buy invicta ones from amazon.
              Completely agree! The emotional attachment to a watch is worth more than any other aspect of it. Henry London (http://bit.ly/HenryHome) have a stunning range of watches. I bought one for my brothers 30th and had it engraved on the back of the case.

Comment

Working...
              X