I regret to say...I am done with suede shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
    Awesome, thanks, good to know! I'm thinking about grabbing a pair of Carmina jumper boots, and they're on the Rain last. Full size down, and possibly with an insole/thick socks if it's a tad on the roomy side (I have a low to medium in step).
    if you have any doubts, the experts on styleforum are very helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
      if you have any doubts, the experts on styleforum are very helpful
      I've been gathering sizing info on a variety of brands from r/goodyearwelt, and a few brands from SF. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me to check SF for Carmina. I'll check it out!

Comment

Same here, if I have an appropriate suede shoe I generally pick it over the non-suede.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        Funny, I feel like I reach for my suede shoes over my leather ones more and more frequently.

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] ...I see them as a niche shoe. And living in south Texas it seems like the equivalent of a woman who owns a fur coat over here. I know some guys wear suede year round, but I have always perceived them not just as a seasonal shoe, but an actual cold weather shoe, which rarely happens here

So everytime I have thought about buying a pair of 380 AE or 450 Carmina suede shoes I just end up with another pair of leather shoes since it seems like a waste of money. I would not ever entertain spending CJ or EG money on suede.

I have a 10 year old pair or nubuck Rockport shoes I got when I was 22 and just got some suede Clark derbies in December but I don't see myself spending more than 150.00 on suede.
          You can never have enough shoes

Comment

Originally posted by nicholascrawford View Post
            I like suede but only for beaters.
            Same. I have a pair of suede loafers (bass weejuns) that get beat to hell. No desire to get "nicer" or more formal suede shoes. It's just not a look that I enjoy. I think I agree generally with [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] - suede shoes are a niche shoe. I just happen to really like the niche that gray suede loafers fill.

Comment

Love suede. Just picked these up per Joe's alert:

http://dappered.com/2016/04/in-revie...monk-cap-toes/

Only small sizes left...

Comment

Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
                ...I have always perceived them not just as a seasonal shoe, but an actual cold weather shoe...
                Even suede desert boots? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by MNJ83 View Post
                  I agree with [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] ...I see them as a niche shoe. And living in south Texas it seems like the equivalent of a woman who owns a fur coat over here. I know some guys wear suede year round, but I have always perceived them not just as a seasonal shoe, but an actual cold weather shoe, which rarely happens here
                  I'm in Houston too and I wear my suede shoes a lot. Why would you think of them as a cold weather shoe? They aren't any warmer than leather. Quite a few of my suede shoes are unlined so they are better for the Houston heat than my leather shoes. Unlined leather usually doesn't end up looking as good over time as unlined suede.

Comment

I also live in hot climate, and my dark brown suede chukkas (not desert boots) are probably the most versatile footwear I own for casual to professional casual purposes. I have had problems with lighter colorr suede staining and discoloring (which shampoo, erasers, etc. can't get out), so I tend to go with darker colors. Not crazy about suede shoes, but that's just a personal preference.

Comment

not to get off topic but blue suede is actually extremely versatile. i wear a ton of gray pants (the personal uniform), so i wear these...with everything. gray jeans, gray chinos, gray wool trousers. they're a bit like a black captoe without being so boring. they actually blend in pretty well, haven't received one comment on them at work (that's a good thing!) while in bright sunlight they're beautiful to look at (really couldn't capture it properly in natural light despite all my attempts). as for outfits, i like to wear them with navy blazers (for a very uniform look) or use them as a good way to inject blue into my outfits when i'm NOT wearing a blue blazer (rare). so for example, blue suede shoes, gray pants, white shirt, brown blazer.

filtered to hell, but these e are the only pics i have of them:
                      http://i.imgur.com/ixMoEQm.jpg
                      I second this. I'm actually wearing blue suede bucks and grey chinos as i type this. Really the only thing the DON'T pair well with is dark wash blue jeans.

Comment

How 'bout some pics of everyone's favorite suede shoes?

Comment

despite making this topic, this will be my next shoe purchase: http://www.carminashoemaker.us/mens-...oe-suede-80406

Comment

despite making this topic, this will be my next shoe purchase: http://www.carminashoemaker.us/mens-...oe-suede-80406
                            They got you with that US site, didn't they?

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                              They got you with that US site, didn't they?
                              pretty much. only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is the 45 day wait while it's in production. there was 1 left when it was on the euro site, but between then and the switch to the us site, it was sold. not fond of plunking down $450 (most i would have ever spent on shoes btw) and then having to wait a month and a half to even try them on...

Comment

Allen Edmonds has made two suede PTBs that I really like, both custom for Lands End and Club Monaco.

Leeds in sand suede for CM:

Stewart blue suede for LE:

Comment

Working...
                                X