Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big_Scooter
    replied

I live in Kansas, where we see many 100+ degree days in a summer. My summer wardrobe is pretty basic. I don't have a job, currently (last semester of grad school), so pretty much everything I wear is for casual use. Gray deck sneakers or desert boots, jeans or chinos, sport shirt or t-shirt/henley. These effectively constitute my summer wardrobe. Sleeves are always rolled, never roll my pant legs. Almost never button the second button on my sport shirts and I never button anything on my henleys. Just got a pair of knaki shorts that fit, so those will be used. I don't have a light-weight sport coat or sweater that I like yet, so I don't really do any layering.

On the topic of the linen sport shirts from BR I have a couple that see pretty heavy use in the spring and summer. I sized down, but they still aren't trim enough for my taste. Luckily, they look "breezy" if they are light-weight and aren't that fitted. They are stock from two summers ago, I think. Linen falls much differently than cotton, so you should see if you like how it acts before investing in a whole wardrobe of the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• AedanM
    replied

I live in DC, so not really "the south" but it's hot as hell and swamp-like in the summer. The best thing I've found is talc/body powder in the underwear. Sounds weird but it makes a hot humid summer day 100% more enjoyable. You'll be dry and cool all day. They even make manly scented ones like Balla and Man Powder.

If you're going sockless, put some in your shoes as well.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Physical Chemistry

Leave a comment:

• cameron
    replied

@Jason - atta boy. thats pretty cool- what did he teach?

@deke - thanks for not being a bitter hostile kind haha

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

...meh...I'm a Tech grad (don't worry, I'm not one of those bitter ones. I'm alright with your kind

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

LOL I am. My dad was also a professor there.

Leave a comment:

• cameron
    replied

@Jason You a dawg?

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

I think the Style Blogger needs more stuff on this wrists.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

These look really nice... wait for a sale:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-long-sleeve-tailored-fit-irish-linen-shirt~236028_-1.html

@Cameron I grew up north of Athens, GA... Several people on here are from the south or live there now

Leave a comment:

• VespaMatt
    replied

IMO shorts are fine as long as they aren't baggy, hit above the knee, and don't have extra pockets. Think preppy. Pair them with cool shoes. They're not for work/business though - they are for the beach, going to the coffee shop, the weekend, touring the countryside in your volante with the top down, etc...

This year my summer casual outfits I am focusing on keeping the cool colors and patterns up top. Madras, plaid, stripes, and textured linen for my shirts and basic, solid colors for my chinos and shorts. This doesn't draw as much attention to the shorts and looks pretty classic, as opposed to the madras and plaid shorts that are popular and scream look I'm wearing shorts. Then I'm pairing that with interesting shoes like Purcells (with leather laces), alligator loafers, suede loafers, driving mocs, or boat shoes.

Leave a comment:

• cameron
    replied

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll definitely have to pick up a pair of those BR linen pants. The Florida advice is good, but we don't get that nice summer breeze here! I know they were mentioned once- but how unfashionable are shorts?

And a special thanks to Deke who grew up here! I take your advice personally. We could probably ask around a bit and find a mutual friend.

Leave a comment:

• ian2
    replied

Jordan,

Thanks! I'll wait for a sale and pick one up.

Leave a comment:

• jordan
    replied

Ian,

I was really pleased with the BR offerings. They arent listed as slim, but it was a good fit.

Leave a comment:

• ian2
    replied

I've been looking for a slim fit linen button down shirt to take with me to Florida in two weeks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• Deke
    replied

Hey, I grew up in Augusta (my parents still live there). I'm still getting into this whole style thing, so maybe you should take my advice with a grain of salt, but I recommend seer sucker. It can be dressed up or down, ladies love it, and it's "old south" enough that you won't get weird looks from the old timers.

(side note: I'm often amused at the thought of wearing some of the things mentioned on here for summer as well. You've got to remove a a layer or two from the equation so you don't die)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X