Summer in the South

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer in the South

So I live in Georgia and I see these posts about "summer wear" and I laugh because there is no way that you can wear long sleeves and chinos with boots during the summer here. And you can almost forget any blazer or sport coat. You will literally have a heat stroke, pass out from dehydration, or at minimum sweat your balls off and not look very good anymore. So my question is- what do you wear in place with the climate of a rainforest and still look good?

Style tips are wanted, but direct examples are good too. (aka- polos v "this polo")

PS- I'm from Augusta and the Masters tournament is next week and I'd like to look my best while all eyes are here

While some disagree, I'm a fan of button-up short sleeves. And of course, long sleeved not-quite-dress-shirts look great if you roll the sleeves up.

And from what I read, material is the most important part for heat. Go for linen, and avoid polyester is what I hear.

Comment

(disclosure: I've lived in Florida my whole life so I know your situation)

Linen is really good with ventilation. Used to own a pair of white linen pants from Van Heusen and loved them. But it's sometimes hard to find linen clothing. Everyone says seersucker is really good too, but I've never had first hand experience with a proper peice. The good stuff can be expensive, and the cheap stuff is horrible (my "seersucker" shirt from Kohls felt like wearing a cardboard shirt).

Here's a linen-cotton pant from Banana Republic. This look is a good southern look (maybe a pattern shirt instead of solid). Also, linen shorts paired with boat shoes is a good nautical look if you're into it.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...scid=904001022

Comment

I'm down in Florida. What he said, material is the most important. Wear linen and thin cotton. Linen can feel like you're virtually wearing nothing, especially if you have a good breeze. I avoid jeans, I hate being sweaty in jeans. Shorts and short sleeve button ups are nice if you can get away with them. Polos work but some get weird/stretch/look bad if they get sweaty (Lacoste especially) so I'll wear a v-neck t-shirt under those.

Long sleeves, chinos, and sport coats are all perfectly possible as long as you have summer weight light, light fabric.

Comment

Light weight chinos rule. Dont be afraid to role up the cuff too and get some air circulation going. I know its been said already, but lightweight fabrics are essential.

Shorts are cool on the weekend. Especially in the South when you are talking about BBQs and backyard hanging out. Still try for a tailored look.

My cocktail videos >

Comment

I'm a bit north of you, but not far. I can tell you that I wore a dark navy linen shirt down in Florida a couple weeks ago when it was 90* out and it felt great, even being a dark color. It breathed a LOT. So definitely go for warm weather fabrics.

I think my extreme heaat wardrobe this summer will be a mix of slim fit JCREW polos, linen or linen bland pants, linen button downs, and some cotton or seersucker shorts.

Comment

@tdig - off-topic, but you just pulled photos from two of my favorite blogs! So glad to see someone else here who's reading TSB and Street Etiquette.

Comment

Those two are definitely on my rotation. Also midweststyle and mensstylepro.

On polos, saw this polo in Details and really like it. Might pick it up after lent if the sale is still on.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/i...fn=BRAND%3DINC International Concepts%26sp%3D1%26spc%3D6%26ruleId%3D60%26slotId %3D

My cocktail videos >

Comment

Did you see that Pique polo shirts are also on sale at Charles Tyrwhitt? I haven't tried them, but I like their dress shirts:

http://bit.ly/H0JglS

Comment

Speaking of pique polos, I've found that they have a tendency to shrink because of the weave if you don't get a reputable brand. And even then, you may want to be cautious of how you wash them to avoid shrinkage.

Comment

Hey, I grew up in Augusta (my parents still live there). I'm still getting into this whole style thing, so maybe you should take my advice with a grain of salt, but I recommend seer sucker. It can be dressed up or down, ladies love it, and it's "old south" enough that you won't get weird looks from the old timers.

(side note: I'm often amused at the thought of wearing some of the things mentioned on here for summer as well. You've got to remove a a layer or two from the equation so you don't die)

Comment

I've been looking for a slim fit linen button down shirt to take with me to Florida in two weeks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Comment

Ian,

I was really pleased with the BR offerings. They arent listed as slim, but it was a good fit.

Comment

Jordan,

Thanks! I'll wait for a sale and pick one up.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll definitely have to pick up a pair of those BR linen pants. The Florida advice is good, but we don't get that nice summer breeze here! I know they were mentioned once- but how unfashionable are shorts?

And a special thanks to Deke who grew up here! I take your advice personally. We could probably ask around a bit and find a mutual friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X