Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graduation (Master's) Gift: A Classy Timepiece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi friends,

I'm looking to get a timepiece for a friend to celebrate his attaining a master's degree in Design Strategy. He's a very stylish guy, timeless, classic, yet trendy all at once. He's very into design, aesthetic, and story, so I want to get him a timepiece that reflects something that he can have for years and years to come.

I'm a big fan of Shinola, but unfortunately they're likely outside my price range. While I could afford the beautiful $650 gift box, I'd prefer to stay in the $250-400 range if at all possible. I'm also debating between leather and metal. I want to get him something that will last a very long time, but I feel like leather straps are more "in" right now. His current watch, which he loves, is this Dieter Rams-designed, minimalist Braun with leather strap.

A few other watches that I think look beautiful are linked below, to provide some more context. I would really value y'alls opinions and would take any suggestion! Let me know what you think. Also I like the idea of getting the back face engraved and delivering it in a nice box, similar to the Shinola one above.

Throne 1.0
    Oak & Oscar

If you really like Shinola, check out your local Nordstrom Rack stores... I saw them at a couple different stores in the Seattle area recently with decent discounts off MSRP.
    Ben

Comment

man, those are some expensive quartz...can get a very nice automatic for that price...

Comment

If he's into design he might like something Bauhaus-inspired, like this Junkers chronograph.

http://www.longislandwatch.com/Junke...2_a_7c6086_d_5
        Ben

Comment

I find watches to be a tough gift to get for other people. I got a movado for graduation that I love. There is nothing wrong with an expensive quartz watch. The Quartz versus automatic debate depends more on your lifestyle than the cost itself. There are cheap automatics and expensive Quartz watches out there.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Tissot Visodate in black, which squeaks into your price range at a hair under $400. It's pretty minimalist aesthetically which seems to be what your friend is into but has a little visual panache:

Comment

I like the Junkers bauhaus above that LesserBlackDog posted.

I really love this quartz Tissot, which can be bought on Jomashop or Amazon for cheaper. -- http://us.tissotshop.com/watches/t-c...her-strap.html

My fiancee bought me this automatic Tissot PR100 3 years ago to wear to interviews. It is my go-to watch. I'm wearing it right now with PFG shorts, flip flops, and a polo, I wear it to the office and court with a suit, and I wear it with everything in between. Very versatile. Can likewise be found on Jomashop or Amazon for cheaper. -- http://us.tissotshop.com/watches/t-c...c-watch-3.html

Comment

The junkers came to mind as soona syou mentioned the Braun he currently wears. I love the Junkers. Also the Spirit of St Louis chrono. If you think he will wear the new one as well as the old one you could swap over to soemthign a bit different. The Seiko SARB033 and SARB035 are supposed to be fantastic for the money. I did a lot of shopping int hat range but never pulled the trigger. In no particular order, here are a the options I was truly interested in...

Lew & Huey Phantom
                Berhardt Corsair II
                Manchester Watch Works Tatoskok
                Hamilton Field Khaki
                Certina DS1
                Hamilton Jazzmaster
                Tissot Visodate
                Melbourne Portsea Heritage
                Orient Star GMT
                Erroyl Regent Luna
                Victorinox Alliance Mechanical
                Avig Huldra
                Seiko SARB033
                SARB035
                Bulova Accutron II Surveyor
                Christopher Ward Malvern C5

I always buy on metal if I can. Leather straps are pretty universal as long as you get the right size but metal bracelets can be tricky to get a good fit on if you decide to go metal later.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                  I find watches to be a tough gift to get for other people. I got a movado for graduation that I love. There is nothing wrong with an expensive quartz watch. The Quartz versus automatic debate depends more on your lifestyle than the cost itself. There are cheap automatics and expensive Quartz watches out there.
                  This is very true. Some people are locked into a style. Some want variety. Heck, half the time I can't buy myself a watch I love and end up flipping or not wearing something I picked up once I get it on my wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post

Hamilton Field Khaki
                    Hamilton Jazzmaster
                    Tissot Visodate
                    Big fan of these three. The Hamilton Field Khaki in 38mm is one of my favorite watches, and if it wasn't so redundant of my Tissot PR100, I would buy it today.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
                      Big fan of these three. The Hamilton Field Khaki in 38mm is one of my favorite watches, and if it wasn't so redundant of my Tissot PR100, I would buy it today.
                      Dude...redundancy is in the eye of the beholder.

I could run down 10 reasons why these watches arent the same..but reality is they are all light dialed chronos
                      Last edited by idvsego; April 26, 2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I could run down 10 reasons why these watches arent the same..but reality is they are all light dialed chronos
                        Every time I see that middle Seiko I want it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric S View Post
                          Every time I see that middle Seiko I want it more.
                          I have that middle Seiko, bought it from a member here and it's really great. I also just recently got that Casio in the black face version and I love it. I've been trying to find the white face one buts it's almost impossible to find for anything reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                            I've been trying to find the white face one buts it's almost impossible to find for anything reasonable.
                            ...but it's so so awesome.

Comment

What is that middle Seiko?

Comment

Working...
                              X