Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graduation (Master's) Gift: A Classy Timepiece?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    Dude...redundancy is in the eye of the beholder.

I could run down 10 reasons why these watches arent the same..but reality is they are all light dialed chronos
    Like everyone said, details on the middle watch, but also details in that strap. It's stunning!

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
      I have that middle Seiko, bought it from a member here and it's really great. I also just recently got that Casio in the black face version and I love it. I've been trying to find the white face one buts it's almost impossible to find for anything reasonable.
      Which Seiko is it? What's the model # if you don't mind?

Comment

Originally posted by fencedwall View Post
        What is that middle Seiko?
        Originally posted by devastitis View Post
        Which Seiko is it? What's the model # if you don't mind?
        It's the Seiko SNDC31 it's $130 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JY...ko+chronograph

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
          Dude...redundancy is in the eye of the beholder.

I could run down 10 reasons why these watches arent the same..but reality is they are all light dialed chronos
          Lol. I feel the same way about the 6 navy blazers I have!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's the Seiko SNDC31 it's $130 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004JY...ko+chronograph
            So with this ^^ in mind, and knowing the Casio is going for around the same price, which is the better watch?

Comment

So with this ^^ in mind, and knowing the Casio is going for around the same price, which is the better watch?

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                It's hard to say. I don't actually own the white version of the Casio but having paid only ~$50 for the black one, I don't think I could bring myself to pay over $100 for the white one no matter how much I want it. It's a solid watch and the metal band is great but it doesn't feel like it should cost over $100. The Seiko on the other hand, even though I got a great deal from another forum member and the leather band isn't that great, now that I have it, I can see myself paying more for it than the Casio. Keep in mind though that they are pretty different, the Seiko is cream dialed and the Casio is white, among other differences. At the end of the day, it really comes down to what you want. The Seiko is a solid cream faced chrono for the price but there are other options is that's what you're looking for. There isn't really anything like the Casio in this price range, it's the best speedy homage I've seen for around $100.

Comment

Yea, I feel like the 503 would be relegated to the more casual end of the spectrum, whereas the SNDC could be worn with anything, up to and including a suit. As far as tech specs, the SNDC has the 7T92 which measures down to 1/20 seconds, but that's really not that important. I don't think one is better than the other, I think it comes down to which would fill a better slot in your collection. Or which one you simply like better.

Comment

wow, I missed all the discussion on the chronos. Yes the middle is the SNDC31. The strap is the stock croc pattern and is very decent. The one on the far right is the Seiko SPC079. Nice watch but nobody asked about it so I will skip to the Casio vs Seiko question. The Seiko can be a bit limiting because of the dial color and formality of the strap. You could swap in a vintage brown strap with some contrasting stitching to make it a bit more casual but that font and the railway minute ring lean towards traditional vintage dressier style. I have never changed the strap because it is staying the way I wore it on my wedding day. The Casio 503 is more versatile and comes on a pretty decent bracelet but still looks good on leather. It is a little more casual but on the bracelet I would wear it with a suit and be OK with it. I dont really feel any build difference and I would hazard to say that if you took the name off, people wouldn't be able to tell you which was more expensive by look and feel. That is near impossible to prove though. I persoanlly couldnt get past the hump of paying $120 for a variant of a watch that was going for $60. I didnt pay $120 for it. Come to think of it, I didnt pay that for the Seiko either. A little over $100 I think EDIT- checked my amazon order hsitory, I paid $98.58 in march 2015

Here are a few more pics...

SPC079
                    http://i.imgur.com/zB0erXB.jpg
                    http://i.imgur.com/BgcKfn6.jpg

SNDC031
                    http://i.imgur.com/fkcaYZn.jpg

EF503
                    http://i.imgur.com/QQW65lU.jpg

Comment

Very helpful/insightful. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                        Very helpful/insightful. Thanks.
                        I do have to throw this in too... I had the black ef503 and it doesn't compare to the white. Build quality is the same of course but visual presence, the white is classier, hands down.

Comment

...The Seiko on the other hand, even though I got a great deal from another forum member and the leather band isn't that great, now that I have it, I can see myself paying more for it than the Casio...
                          You forgot to mention that the other forum member had to sell it because he couldn't see the hands very well.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                            You forgot to mention that the other forum member had to sell it because he couldn't see the hands very well.
                            True but since that hasn't been a problem for me I'm going to assume it isn't the norm and I got lucky that you sold it for such a good price because you couldn't see the hands well [emoji41]

Comment

This is why I love dappered. Loads of good discussion here and a great starting point for me to check out watches.

I'm hoping to find a true "timepiece" that he'll have for the next 10+ years, if that's still a thing. Also hoping/thinking about getting it engraved. Thanks for the great discussion. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Strygun View Post
                                This is why I love dappered. Loads of good discussion here and a great starting point for me to check out watches.

I'm hoping to find a true "timepiece" that he'll have for the next 10+ years, if that's still a thing. Also hoping/thinking about getting it engraved. Thanks for the great discussion. Keep it up!
                                Keep in mind most back cases are hard to engrave. I tried to have mine done and they suggested the clasp (metal band) was the easiest to avoid hurting the mechanisms.

Comment

Working...
                                X