Unpleating pants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpleating pants?

So my suit pants are pleated (it's my first suit, I didn't know what I was doing...), and I'm realizing that they really don't work well for my body type. I was wondering if it's possible for a good tailor to unpleat pants and make them flat front. Obviously I would have to go to a good tailor for this, but is it even possible? If so, any idea how much it would cost me?

I don't wear my suit enough that it's important, but it's one of those things that would definitely look better. If it's not possible, I'll just have to keep this in mind whenever I get my next suit.

I don't think you'll find a tailor who would take you up on that. It would impact the fly, pockets, etc.

Pleats aren't the worst thing in the world, but yes, avoidable the next time around.

Comment

What does the suit look like? If it is a suit with traditionally high-waisted pants, they should be pleated.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I had this done recently, double-pleated to flat front, and was satisfied with the results. I can't remember exactly how much it cost; I want to say on the order of $50. You can always just ask your tailor if he thinks it could be done.

Comment

Alright, thanks guys. I'm still not sure I'd want to, as greg noted, they are fairly high waisted. But I just wanted to know my options.

Comment

I was just reading a styleforum post on this earlier, but couldnt find it again. The op had diagrams of the work that needed to be done. From what I recall, there are 2 types of pleating, regular and reverse. Removing reverse pleating was much more reasonable. He said it would still likely net you at least $50 from a good tailor. The regular pleating he said was a nightmare to fix, and could easily cost $100. The belt line needs to be removed, the pockets need to be removed, the fly needs to be removed, they need to cut material off, and replace everything.

As to how to identify which type of pleating your pants have, I dont remember what he said exactly. Thats about all I can recall, hopefully its somewhat useful. If I find that thread I will link it for you.

Comment

forward pleats open toward the zipper, reverse pleats open toward the pockets.

If they're high waisted, you're gonna want the pleats, otherwise it will pull in certain sensitive areas when sitting and standing. Also, you should be buttoning your suit coat when you stand, so your pant fronts won't even be visible.

Comment

I asked my alterations lady about this once in regard to a thrifted suit that fits ok, minus the baggy legged, pleated pants (fairly minimal pleats, though). She said she could sew the pleats down, but I haven't takeen her up on it. The suit is a medium gray with a barely noticeable plaid and a bit of texture. I wouldn't have even thought about trying it on a lighter suit with no pattern or texture.

Comment

Lost cause.

But fear not. Pleats will be back in style again, just like double-breasted suits.

Comment

Working...
                  X