Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help on choosing between McAllistars & Fifth Aves

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about investing in another pair of Allen Edmonds to add to my wardrobe while their Anniversary Sale is going on. I've listed the shoes I have below.

I'm really looking for new dress shoe that I can wear to work in a business casual office. I will most likely be walking a short distance (3/4ths of a mile) to commute to the office, so I'm thinking about getting something with a rubber sole, since the leather stole on my Strands is already worn out from working in Glasgow.

I'm leaning more towards the Merlot McAllistars, but I feel like the fifth avenue might be the more conservative choice since I already have Brogues (Strands). However, if I get the Fifth Aves, I only like them in Walnut and I already have Walnut Strands. I plan on getting my Strands recrafted with a Dandite Rubber sole as well so I can definitely use those to walk to the office.

Anybody care to give me their thoughts on which way I should go?

The McAllistars or the Fifth Aves?

Shoes I have:
    • Walnet Strands (1st Quality)
    • Brown Parkaways (2nd Quality, but not very noticable defect)
    • Black Hales (2nd Quality, one of the shoes has a giant crease on the back of the leg. Have worn these once at a sober event.)

No question, go with the McAllister.

And even if we wanted to compare, you've already got a walnut shoe, which tbh, walnut is loud, not-really-versatile color. Also, the Strand is cap toe. The Hale is another cap toe. Both are either a quarter brogue or half-brogue. You don't need another one of those. If you were going to get another cap toe, I'd say it should be more along the lines of the Park Ave or Hopkinson (which is on my wishlist).

Anyways, just giving my .02 cents like they're worth a nickel.

Comment

^100% in agreement.

Comment

Matchbook has it right, merlot McAllisters would be a much better choice for variety and versatility.

Comment

I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and a pair of walnut 5th Aves and while I agree with the above sentiments that your lineup could use some versatility, I find that I often prefer wearing the 5th Aves over the McAllisters as they are less "busy." Even though the McAllisters offer you a wingtip option, there is a lot (A LOT) of broguing on that shoe which taken with the wingtip makes it look much less formal/business than the 5th Ave would look.

If you go with the merlot McAllister, you'll be making a fine choice, but I would recommend that you look at the 5th Ave in Dark Chili with the Dainite rubber sole as it will offer you a great color choice in a shoe that is a little more conservative and cleaner than the McAllister.

In the end it all really depends on your taste in shoes.

Comment

Fifth Avenue, in chili. Someone on here hates Fifth Avenues because of the toe cap placement. Mine look great, but I have a short foot.

Comment

That is [MENTION=3050]shad0w4life[/MENTION]. Incidentally, I found out recently that he also hates Bonobos' pants. [MENTION=3050]shad0w4life[/MENTION]: which do you hate more?

[MENTION=12633]Parth Patel[/MENTION]: I agree with the above posters that merlot McAllisters would be preferable to walnut Fifth Avenue. Besides the duplication of walnut in a small collection, I think that walnut and the Fifth Avenue are a weird combination: a beautiful, but loud, statement color and a somewhat dull, conservative shoe. Note: it's not strictly speaking a question of formality: I think walnut Carlyles and walnut Cornwallises look great, and both those shoes are also very formal. It's just that they are also more shapely than the Fifth Avenue. But you could consider the chili Fifth Avenue as people have suggested. Or black Fifth Avenue and see whether AE will take back the creased pair of Hales.

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
              Fifth Avenue, in chili. Someone on here hates Fifth Avenues because of the toe cap placement. Mine look great, but I have a short foot.

Comment

Dark chili is probably my favorite AE color and it would be a great choice for a 5th Avenue. I think it's going to come down to personal preference and which formality level he needs more, 5th Ave being a little more formal than a McAllister. Whichever he chooses IMO walnut is not the color he needs.

Originally posted by papaholmz View Post
                I have a pair of bourbon McAllisters and a pair of walnut 5th Aves and while I agree with the above sentiments that your lineup could use some versatility, I find that I often prefer wearing the 5th Aves over the McAllisters as they are less "busy." Even though the McAllisters offer you a wingtip option, there is a lot (A LOT) of broguing on that shoe which taken with the wingtip makes it look much less formal/business than the 5th Ave would look.

If you go with the merlot McAllister, you'll be making a fine choice, but I would recommend that you look at the 5th Ave in Dark Chili with the Dainite rubber sole as it will offer you a great color choice in a shoe that is a little more conservative and cleaner than the McAllister.

In the end it all really depends on your taste in shoes.

Comment

Working...
                X