Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blazer button replacement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Blazer button replacement

    Hi All,

    So I have a navy hopsack that I thrifted and it's got some ugly gold buttons. I'd like to change them out.

    I already have one with bright silver buttons. I know that if I go with horn or mop, then it's "technically" going to be a sport coat.

    Do you prefer brown horn or mop? Or should I look at a darker metal? Do you think either option will affect the jacket's versatility?

    Any recs on where to get decent and reasonably priced buttons?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

    #2
    Originally posted by yogi View Post
    Hi All,

    So I have a navy hopsack that I thrifted and it's got some ugly gold buttons. I'd like to change them out.

    I already have one with bright silver buttons. I know that if I go with horn or mop, then it's "technically" going to be a sport coat.

    Do you prefer brown horn or mop? Or should I look at a darker metal? Do you think either option will affect the jacket's versatility?

    Any recs on where to get decent and reasonably priced buttons?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    I would go with brown horn, IMO it's looks the best against navy. It shouldn't really affect the versatility of the jacket if the styling of it makes it clear that it's not an orphaned suit jacket.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
      I would go with brown horn, IMO it's looks the best against navy. It shouldn't really affect the versatility of the jacket if the styling of it makes it clear that it's not an orphaned suit jacket.
      Any vendors you recommend?

      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by yogi View Post
        Any vendors you recommend?

        Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
        I've never swapped out buttons before so I can't really tell you. I do recall some people talking about where to get buttons from a while ago. Try using the search function to see if you can find anything.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by yogi View Post
          Hi All,

          So I have a navy hopsack that I thrifted and it's got some ugly gold buttons. I'd like to change them out.

          I already have one with bright silver buttons. I know that if I go with horn or mop, then it's "technically" going to be a sport coat.

          Do you prefer brown horn or mop? Or should I look at a darker metal? Do you think either option will affect the jacket's versatility?

          Any recs on where to get decent and reasonably priced buttons?
          You could get smoky MOP, which is kind of a compromise between your two choices. I bought some silver blazer buttons from MetalBlazerButtons.com last year. I may have bought it through Amazon. I was happy with the merchandise, and it even came with extra buttons. I'm not sure if they sell anything other than metal buttons though. I recommend going with an alloy that doesn't require polishing if you want silver toned buttons. If you go with metal, then I recommend picking a design based on your interests or personality. They make good conversation starters.

          Contrast buttons are very old school, but classic. If there is any nautical aspect to the event, then contrast metal buttons are perfect. They aren't as common today. So, you may stand out a little, depending on the event. The darker the buttons, the less you will stand out. So, smoky MOP or brown horn are good for striking a balance.

          Comment


            #6
            There are a lot of sellers of every type of button you could want on ebay.

            Comment


              #7
              yes to ebay.

              If you go to a sewing store like jo-ann fabrics, they might have a set of plastic buttons, but they will not really ever have the kinds of quality-material buttons you really want to improve a blazer with.

              you can often get a set of buttons for even less than ebay if you go to a thrift store and find a $6 blazer that is perhaps tired looking, but has nice buttons.

              i think I actually do a lot of button swapping, when I have a solid blazer than needs a little more-contemporary pizzaz.

              Comment


                #8
                I swapped out brass buttons for born horn on the older Ludlow jacket and it came out looking great. eBay is your friend for buttons.

                http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...er-Button-Swap

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mistabutters View Post
                  I swapped out brass buttons for born horn on the older Ludlow jacket and it came out looking great. eBay is your friend for buttons.

                  http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...er-Button-Swap
                  How are the shoulders on the club blazer? Thinking about picking one up on ebay. Soft shoulder?

                  Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I bought these brown horn buttons to replace some gold ones and they look good:
                    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1702668...f=sr_gallery_7

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by yogi View Post
                      How are the shoulders on the club blazer? Thinking about picking one up on ebay. Soft shoulder?

                      Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                      There is definitely padding in the shoulder and some structure, but nothing too crazy.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X