Allen Edmonds recrafting - AE McAllister in bourbon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As some of you may recall, I have expressed my dissatisfaction with a pair of bourbon McAllisters that I've had for a year or two that had a finish that was subpar to say the least. Because of it, I used them for rainwear but that was about it. I finally decided to get them recrafted (which includes refinishing) when the sole and heel was coming off the shoe a bit.

Here is my photo of the before (you can see the splotchy look on the toes) as well as AE's before:

And here is their after photo, where it looks to be much more uniform.

Will receive them back and take another pass in person, but they look in much better shape. Hopefully something I won't feel less than 100% wearing much more often!

Nice! They look good. On the darker side of the bourbon range, which is especially useful if you own a pair of walnut shoes (especially a walnut Strand or McAllister).

The bourbon McAllister is now a collector's item, given that it's been discontinued!

I'm not sure why it is, given that the wingtips are overlapping, which should be a bad thing, but I find the McAllister to be a particularly beautiful shoe. Along with the Strand and the Cornwallis, I'd say it's one of AE's best. If I had a lot of money to burn, I'd buy it in walnut, bourbon, brown, and merlot. (I can't recall what it looks like in chili, but I don't love the online photos and, anyway, I own a pair of cognac McTavishes, which are basically a slightly more casual version of a chili McAllister - although the cognac is mostly brown and only slightly red, whereas the chili will have more red, I still think chili is mostly brown). I've been thinking about getting a Loake Buckingham while I'm in London in June, but even though the wingtips on that are not overlapping, it doesn't look quite as beautiful as the McAllister to me. I'll probably get a Loake Pimlico or Kempton, instead. I don't own a chukka, so it'd be more useful.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
      Nice! They look good. On the darker side of the bourbon range, which is especially useful if you own a pair of walnut shoes (especially a walnut Strand or McAllister).

The bourbon McAllister is now a collector's item, given that it's been discontinued!

I'm not sure why it is, given that the wingtips are overlapping, which should be a bad thing, but I find the McAllister to be a particularly beautiful shoe. Along with the Strand and the Cornwallis, I'd say it's one of AE's best. If I had a lot of money to burn, I'd buy it in walnut, bourbon, brown, and merlot. (I can't recall what it looks like in chili, but I don't love the online photos and, anyway, I own a pair of cognac McTavishes, which are basically a slightly more casual version of a chili McAllister - although the cognac is mostly brown and only slightly red, whereas the chili will have more red, I still think chili is mostly brown). I've been thinking about getting a Loake Buckingham while I'm in London in June, but even though the wingtips on that are not overlapping, it doesn't look quite as beautiful as the McAllister to me. I'll probably get a Loake Pimlico or Kempton, instead. I don't own a chukka, so it'd be more useful.
      I agree on the darker -- I have dark brown Park Aves, but those are super dark, and walnut Strands (shocker, I know), so these will hopefully finally fit the medium brown slot they were meant for. I do also love the McAllister, I also have it in black and have been considering getting the merlot if I don't wind up with a double monk in merlot (debating whether to go more conservative in color for monks or just go for broke with color and style).

Comment

I also have walnut Strands, surprisingly enough! And at the start of March I got something in bourbon (Dalton).

Does AE sell a double monk in merlot? Or were you using merlot as a synonym for burgundy and including other brands? I'm really tempted by the walnut Warwick, so I guess I lean towards the going for broke end, but that's a single monk. With a double monk, I'd probably go for dark brown, and at least medium brown. I've never owned a monk, so if I do buy one, I might start with a cheaper shoe such as the BR Wyatt to see how much play it'd get before I invested in something like an AE. The Wyatt looks good to me in both burgundy and chestnut, and I'm even tempted by gray.

If you don't mind the extra $100, I'd consider a merlot Jefferson 2.0, too. It's spectacular, and the lining should make it more comfortable than the McAllister.

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
        I agree on the darker -- I have dark brown Park Aves, but those are super dark, and walnut Strands (shocker, I know), so these will hopefully finally fit the medium brown slot they were meant for. I do also love the McAllister, I also have it in black and have been considering getting the merlot if I don't wind up with a double monk in merlot (debating whether to go more conservative in color for monks or just go for broke with color and style).

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
          I also have walnut Strands, surprisingly enough! And at the start of March I got something in bourbon (Dalton).

Does AE sell a double monk in merlot? Or were you using merlot as a synonym for burgundy and including other brands? I'm really tempted by the walnut Warwick, so I guess I lean towards the going for broke end, but that's a single monk. With a double monk, I'd probably go for dark brown, and at least medium brown. I've never owned a monk, so if I do buy one, I might start with a cheaper shoe such as the BR Wyatt to see how much play it'd get before I invested in something like an AE. The Wyatt looks good to me in both burgundy and chestnut, and I'm even tempted by gray.

If you don't mind the extra $100, I'd consider a merlot Jefferson 2.0, too. It's spectacular, and the lining should make it more comfortable than the McAllister.
          Was just referencing merlot/oxblood/burgundy more generally, although I wouldn't be opposed to another pair of AEs, I also don't want to skip taking a look around for others. Probably a smart play to get something cheaper to try monks out... and that Jefferson 2.0 looks like a real beauty, very tempting... Talking to you is dangerous for my wallet hah

Comment

I don't know as much about shoes as you all do but they look way too dark by the toe of the shoe, almost dirty and too dark. I think the detail gets lost because of how dark.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
              I don't know as much about shoes as you all do but they look way too dark by the toe of the shoe, almost dirty and too dark. I think the detail gets lost because of how dark.
              If your being picky sure. Considering how they were before, they are def wearable now, whereas I don't think they were before. I think they look good

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

Comment

A fair opinion. Maybe if the bourbon was meant to be a uniform color, and while I can't say it happens on all iterations of the shade, I believe the burnished/darker toe is purposeful:

And they aren't alone in that coloring, plenty of shoe companies have been into burnished toes for a while now, many at even more drastic contrasts (which I agree with you aren't particularly appealing):

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                  A fair opinion. Maybe if the bourbon was meant to be a uniform color, and while I can't say it happens on all iterations of the shade, I believe the burnished/darker toe is purposeful:

And they aren't alone in that coloring, plenty of shoe companies have been into burnished toes for a while now, many at even more drastic contrasts (which I agree with you aren't particularly appealing):
                  Agreed, and not trying to be rude. I think the toes look much better. It is probably nitpicking but I like the color that is coming through by the lace holes and below that area by the mid foot is just very dark. It almost looks like the shoes got wet.

Comment

Agreed, and not trying to be rude. I think the toes look much better. It is probably nitpicking but I like the color that is coming through by the lace holes and below that area by the mid foot is just very dark. It almost looks like the shoes got wet.
                    No worries at all -- It will be interesting to see how the color looks in real life as opposed to the sterile light they photographed them in.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the toe is supposed to be darker. AE does that with their dark brown shoes, too. The toe is burnished so deeply that it's a really dark brown that is almost black. But the vamp and the sides of the shoe are a chocolate brown that is not much darker than the toe and sides of the bourbon shoe that [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] posted after the recrafting.

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION]: True. These discussions aren't good for our bank balances! Or, at least, they make self-restraint necessary. I was thinking overnight that, if AE still did made-to-order shoes, I'd be really tempted by a merlot Cornwallis.

Comment

My recrafted McAlllisters made it home today (along with some other items, more in other threads on those), and I have to say they look even better in person than in AE's pictures. The color is lighter and the medium brown I expected from the get go with the bourbon. Excuse the poor unnatural lighting.

(That one's for all you box haters )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those look great. It almost looks like they weren't dry in the AE photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                            Those look great. It almost looks like they weren't dry in the AE photos.
                            That could be it, good call. Regardless, a great result and well worth the price as I'll get a ton more wear out of them now.

Comment

either way, when you're repairing a shoe, or you're just waxing/conditioning things, the leather has to suck up all the good stuff you're giving it. it can take a while sometimes.

i swear it can take a few days for a shoe I just waxed to perk back up to its former self after it's been in a rain storm or some other un-waxing type event.

those shoes look super super dope!! i'm so happy for you. money well spent.

Comment

Working...
                              X