Fading Clothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fading Clothing

I bought a denim shirt from Uniqlo recently, and the color is so uniformly blue that it's hardly recognizable as denim. I've tried running it through the wash a couple times to give it a little texture to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated.

Denim gets its characteristic fading from either 1) actual wear, or 2) manual distressing. You can wear the shirt until it starts to fade in the expected spots or you can get some sandpaper and distress the points that you think should look faded.

If you're actually wanting "texture" to the cloth and not just denim-like fading, I don't think there's much you can do. The cloth has the texture it has.

Comment

wear it. Put it on around the house, wear it all the time. do some yard work in it, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
        Denim gets its characteristic fading from either 1) actual wear, or 2) manual distressing. You can wear the shirt until it starts to fade in the expected spots or you can get some sandpaper and distress the points that you think should look faded.

If you're actually wanting "texture" to the cloth and not just denim-like fading, I don't think there's much you can do. The cloth has the texture it has.
        I meant visual texture, so I'll definitely try that. Will sandpaper damage the shirt structurally?

Comment

Originally posted by Gabe View Post
          I meant visual texture, so I'll definitely try that. Will sandpaper damage the shirt structurally?
          Well, yes and no. The sandpaper works because it wears off part of the outer layer of the threads/yarns, revealing the white interior. So technically it's damaging. Assuming you aren't going crazy with it, though, it won't really impact the longevity of the shirt.

I will point out that this only works if the dye is on the outside of the threads (as is typical of indigo-dyed denim). If the dye has penetrated throughout the thread, you won't accomplish the look you're going for. You might want to try on a hidden spot first (such as the inside of the bottom hem) and make sure you're getting the effect you want before attempting to distress the rest of the shirt. You might also want to look for articles or YouTube videos for how to do this.

Comment

When I put away my leather jacket, I just throw it on the floor where I can step on and kick it. You can do the same.

Comment

[MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] is right whatever you decide to do test on a hidden part of the shirt. Nothing worse then trying one of these methods in the middle of the shirt only to find out you don't like the result.

Comment

Washing will just lighten everything uniformly. For the contrasting fades, just wear it constantly and be patient.

Comment

if you actually want them to fade considerably, you need to get a couple hundred or so good wears in on them. mostly probably with out a wash, if you want a really dramatic one, you'd really best not wash them.

but you can certainly get in the dream-fade zone if you're diligent about wearing your jeans all the time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rawdenim/co...ade_raw_jeans/

Comment

Work out and sleep in it.

Comment

Working...
                    X