Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bellydancing Gear? - Need Masculine & Stylish Clothing/Accessories

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bellydancing Gear? - Need Masculine & Stylish Clothing/Accessories

    This is probably a long shot, but I have a bellydancing performance coming up. And I'm looking for any advice finding masculine and stylish clothing/accessories such as shirt or vest, pants, necklace, cuffs/bracelets, arm bands, scarves, etc. Any suggestions or ideas?

    #2
    A decent vest is pretty much all you need. The rest of the items are identical.

    I know a belly dance instructor I could ask if they know of any preferred suppliers.

    Comment


      #3
      Sorry, but I have zero knowledge about belly dancing. Is there a standard outfit that one wears when performing? And if so, are there stores that specialize in outfits and gear for this artistic venue?

      If there is no such thing, I guess the next best approach would be to do a Google search or get on Pinterest and figure out what type of items that you're looking for: shirt styles, types of pants, approrpiate shoes, vests and other accessories. Find the look that you want and then go hit the mall. You may end up shopping in the young person stores (Forever 21, H&M, etc.) to find what you're looking for.

      If you don't mind talking about it, I'd love to hear how you got involved in bellydancing and what it involves. Always interested to hear what other people do in their free time...

      Comment


        #4
        Did a quick Google image search for male belly dancer; the results were ... less than promising if you're looking for inspiration.

        I don't know if this will help, but when I was looking for a chapan I came across this site:

        Zarina's

        They're a U.S. based company that specializes in traditional and ethnic clothing from Central Asia and the Middle East. Here's an example of the kinds of vests and pants that may work:







        They also have belly dancing gear, scarves, etc. Just thought they may be worth a look if you are searching for something a little more toned down (at least compared to what google shared with me). I would also hit up Ebay or Etsy if you are looking for cheaper options for the equipment.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
          A decent vest is pretty much all you need. The rest of the items are identical.

          I know a belly dance instructor I could ask if they know of any preferred suppliers.
          Thanks for the tip. Finding a decent vest seems to be the tricky part. I've found a costume designer who offered to design one for me. I hope it turns out well.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by TMann View Post
            Sorry, but I have zero knowledge about belly dancing. Is there a standard outfit that one wears when performing? And if so, are there stores that specialize in outfits and gear for this artistic venue?

            If there is no such thing, I guess the next best approach would be to do a Google search or get on Pinterest and figure out what type of items that you're looking for: shirt styles, types of pants, approrpiate shoes, vests and other accessories. Find the look that you want and then go hit the mall. You may end up shopping in the young person stores (Forever 21, H&M, etc.) to find what you're looking for.

            If you don't mind talking about it, I'd love to hear how you got involved in bellydancing and what it involves. Always interested to hear what other people do in their free time...
            That's the hard part. It's mainly a feminine art. Due to the lack of males involved in the art, there isn't much consensus on attire for men. And then there's the issue of how revealing does one want to be. Thanks for the recommendation of Pinterest - that's where I found the picture that my costume designer is using to construct my vest.

            I got involved in bellydancing because I met some people salsa dancing who attended/taught a bellydancing class at the local gym. When I obtained a membership at that gym, I decided I'd just try out the class. I was only comfortable because I knew the instructor and another lady in the class from dancing. I figured it couldn't hurt to try it out. If I didn't like it, I never had to come back. But, I started liking it and now it's my favorite class. Occasionally, a guy will come to the class, but usually I'm the only one. It involves a lot of hip movements, along with body isolation techniques, such as shimmying (shoulder & hip), hip drops/lifts, snake arms, hip 8s, turns, etc. It's helped me become better at salsa/swing dancing and at sports

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JohnG View Post
              Did a quick Google image search for male belly dancer; the results were ... less than promising if you're looking for inspiration.

              I don't know if this will help, but when I was looking for a chapan I came across this site:

              Zarina's

              They're a U.S. based company that specializes in traditional and ethnic clothing from Central Asia and the Middle East. Here's an example of the kinds of vests and pants that may work:







              They also have belly dancing gear, scarves, etc. Just thought they may be worth a look if you are searching for something a little more toned down (at least compared to what google shared with me). I would also hit up Ebay or Etsy if you are looking for cheaper options for the equipment.
              That's a neat store with a lot of options. Although the neater items tend to be quite expensive, as expected. Thanks for the suggestions. My performance is coming up too soon for me to buy stuff online, but I will have to check out all those other options for my next one

              Comment


                #8
                If you have any need for swing dancing stuff, "lindy shopper" is a decent blog: http://lindyshopper.com

                The only disappointing bit is not talking about price... for example, they linked to some awesome-looking dance spectator shoes... for $1,800.

                Comment

                Working...
                X