Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crazy Ideas (that might actually make sense)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Crazy Ideas (that might actually make sense)

    Just a simple, fun thread: What are some "crazy" things you think manufacturers could do that, when you think about it, might actually make sense and improve the customer experience? Here's two just to get the ball rolling:

    1. Shoe manufacturers: Include the length and width (in inches/cm) of the footbeds they use in their different sizes. That way I can measure the footbed from a pair of shoes I know fit my feet and compare. Will there be variation between different models/lasts from the same maker? Sure, but at least it gives me a place to start instead of guessing how their "size 9.5" is really going to fit.

    2. White shirts: can someone invent an anti-sweat stain spray I can apply to the inside of the collars and armpits of my white shirts to help stop them from discoloring? We see lot's of talk of bleaching/bluing to keep shirts white; why not stop the problem before it starts?

    Who knows? If someone runs with one of our ideas, they could end up rich!

    Edited to add one more: For solid color shirts, pants and suits, manufacturers should include the Pantone number that most closely matches the color of the garment. That way I don't need to worry if the color I am seeing in the product page pic is accurate or a result of "creative lighting". And I don't need to wonder if something like "Burnt meadow sage" is more grey or green.
    Last edited by JohnG; April 11, 2016, 04:26 PM. Reason: Can't shut up sometimes ...

    #2
    Originally posted by JohnG View Post
    someone invent an anti-sweat stain spray I can apply to the inside of the collars and armpits of my white shirts to help stop them from discoloring?
    they have this, it's called "don't wear anti antiperspirant." seriously! try the "deodorant" instead! not having the aluminum compounds in there helps the shirt straining a ton.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by evanparker View Post
      they have this, it's called "don't wear anti antiperspirant." seriously! try the "deodorant" instead! not having the aluminum compounds in there helps the shirt straining a ton.
      I do use deodorant for that very reason. But I live someplace pretty hot, and honestly I find I have more problems with the collars getting stained (and yes, I shower regularly and don't consider myself someone who perspires profusely). Maybe I just need to start rolling deodorant on the back of my neck ...

      Comment


        #4
        The biggest problem with #1 is on most shoes, the footbed isn't what most impacts the fitting. For most companies, they use the same (or very close) footbed for C-E widths on each last, but use different amounts of material to build up or reduce the width of the shoe. While it can give you a general gauge, you need more information to accurately fit.

        [MENTION=12001]evanparker[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head for sweat. I use Kiehl's Antiperspirant which does work really well and doesn't leave the aluminum stain. However, it's $20, so you have to decide if that's worth it for you.

        The idea I've always wondered about is a normal dress shirt (not a non-iron) that doesn't look like a wrinkled mess after one wear. I want to stay away from the chemicals used in non-iron shirts, but my traditional shirts require so much maintenance that I wish there was a middle ground.

        Another one is a natural deodorant that actually works for more than a few hours. I'm a big fan of the concept for natural deodorants/antiperspirants, but nobody offers one that works well. I've tried about 6-8 so far with zero luck.

        Comment


          #5
          Not such a radical idea but if more companies would offer suit separates, it would really help those of us with bigger thighs and bottoms. I never really understood why companies make their pants so slim fitting (I'm looking at you Suitsupply.) It's a lot easier to take pants in then it is to take them out and I would venture to say that there are more people that require looser fitting pants than those whose waists are too small to gave them taken in.

          Comment


            #6
            Ring around the collar is dead skin and filth glued together by sweat and whatever hair products you use including shampoo. Unfortunately, there is no secret sauce to put into a shirt fabric that will dial in those variables.

            Comment


              #7

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
                The biggest problem with #1 is on most shoes, the footbed isn't what most impacts the fitting. For most companies, they use the same (or very close) footbed for C-E widths on each last, but use different amounts of material to build up or reduce the width of the shoe. While it can give you a general gauge, you need more information to accurately fit.
                Completely agree that there is a lot more to fit than just a shoe size. But I measure a 10 on a Brannock, and take 8.5 E in Florsheim, 9 in Timberland, 9 in Blundstones, 9.5 in J&M and Clarks, and 10 in Adidas and Sperry, I have to think any extra info from the manufacturer regarding "true length" is going to help when I'm ordering online.

                Comment


                  #9
                  AS A RATHER SWEATY GUY MYSELF

                  i feel you pain on that one guys. god speed.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                    Completely agree that there is a lot more to fit than just a shoe size. But I measure a 10 on a Brannock, and take 8.5 E in Florsheim, 9 in Timberland, 9 in Blundstones, 9.5 in J&M and Clarks, and 10 in Adidas and Sperry, I have to think any extra info from the manufacturer regarding "true length" is going to help when I'm ordering online.
                    That's fair. As someone that floats float between a 12 and 13.5 depending on shoe style and cut, I hear your frustration. However, what I was saying originally is two shoes that are the exact same length and width can fit MUCH differently. While it can give you a decent basis for what might fit, it's far from a guarantee.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                      Ring around the collar is dead skin and filth glued together by sweat and whatever hair products you use including shampoo. Unfortunately, there is no secret sauce to put into a shirt fabric that will dial in those variables.
                      And now I just feel ... dirty.

                      Note to self: Do some research before opening mouth (or typing). This site offers some solutions for preventing shirt collars from staining.

                      So no one liked the Pantone number idea?
                      Last edited by JohnG; April 11, 2016, 05:19 PM. Reason: To add link

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                        I do use deodorant for that very reason. But I live someplace pretty hot, and honestly I find I have more problems with the collars getting stained (and yes, I shower regularly and don't consider myself someone who perspires profusely). Maybe I just need to start rolling deodorant on the back of my neck ...
                        Seconded. I've seen the argument about the things we apply to our pits causing the staining, but I always felt like the "ring around the collar" completely invalidated that. I 100% do not roll SpeedStick onto the back of my neck, so something else is the culprit.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by wsupjs View Post
                          Another one is a natural deodorant that actually works for more than a few hours. I'm a big fan of the concept for natural deodorants/antiperspirants, but nobody offers one that works well. I've tried about 6-8 so far with zero luck.
                          I use Sams Natural deodorant and it works great for me all day. It costs about $10 and lasts me 5-6 months maybe.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                            I use Sams Natural deodorant and it works great for me all day. It costs about $10 and lasts me 5-6 months maybe.
                            Sam's Natural is probably the best one I've tried. However, the one I bought had a strong pumpkin scent, which I did not like. If any of their styles avoid that, I'd give them another shot.

                            As for the Pantone chip, I think it's an ok idea, but 98%+ of customers wouldn't know what that means, or care. Plus it's possible there will be small variances in the color across production lines, and they can't guarantee the garment will look exactly the same as the chip.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                              1. Shoe manufacturers: Include the length and width (in inches/cm) of the footbeds they use in their different sizes. That way I can measure the footbed from a pair of shoes I know fit my feet and compare. Will there be variation between different models/lasts from the same maker? Sure, but at least it gives me a place to start instead of guessing how their "size 9.5" is really going to fit.
                              As a student who can't afford full priced AE's, Alden, Carmina etc. type shoes, I spend a lot of time looking through used versions of the aforementioned brands. Having such inconsistent sizing standards across brands is a headache to say the least. My size tends to vary between 9-10.5 and a D-EE. So a way to standardize sizing would be a huge time and money saver. I second this request!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X