Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions On Light Outerwear Layer Options In Place of a Trucker Jacket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
    That's their brown. They don't make a darker brown. The lighting in the photo does make it look darker brown.
    So you mean it's this coat?

Comment

Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
      So you mean it's this coat?
      Yep.

Same color, different lighting:

Comment

Yep.

Same color, different lighting:

[IMG]
        http://cdn.styleforum.net/9/90/90fb0d11_IMG_1361.jpeg[/IMG]
        Wow that is a huge difference in color. Which one do you think is closest to the actual color of the jacket?

Comment

It's light orange/brown. It gets progressively lighter from washing and sun (assuming it sees sun).

Comment

If you want something more flashy, you might try Filson. These quickly creep into the $200–$400 range, but may be worth it for how long something like that lasts.

The Carhartt and Pointer Brand stuff is really for getting dirty. They are literally what you'll find in the grainger catalog, army surplus, or feed store. Nothing wrong with that, just not designed to look that great.
            Totally agree. Pieces from Carhartt et all are great pieces of clothing, but they're a little more work wear then what I'm looking for. I've got a Carhartt jacket for example, but it's big, warm, and dirty as hell and I wear it for occassions where I want to wear something big and warm that can get dirty lol.

So far, I have to say that some of the Massimo Dutti numbers I saw from their jacket collection are at the top of my list. Can anyone speak to Massimo Dutti's clothing quality? I've heard of them but I've never owned one of their pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by hillch12 View Post
              So far, I have to say that some of the Massimo Dutti numbers I saw from their jacket collection are at the top of my list. Can anyone speak to Massimo Dutti's clothing quality? I've heard of them but I've never owned one of their pieces.
              Hi
              I may have more experience with Massimo Dutti than some others here simply because there is a store where I live so I buy from them fairly frequently. I own several sweaters, a couple of shirts and ties, some pants (these were the most disappointing items from them in terms of quality), a cotton bomber jacket (about 5 years old) and a leather jacket (about 2 years old). Never tried their footwear or their online customer service, so I can't offer any insights on those. Sweaters, shirts and ties have all held up great over 1 to 4 years. Color of the cotton bomber started to fade sooner than I would have expected, but the stitching and hardware have had no problems and I still wear the jacket today. The leather jacket has been great; sure, it's not the best quality leather but it conditions well and is developing a nice deeper color (not really a patina). I see it being in my closet for a long time. For comparison, I also own a John Varvatos leather jacket, and if it is an 8/10 then the MD one is a very close 7.5/10 at about half the price.

Quality wise, I find Massimo Dutti about equal to/slightly better than JCrew and better than BR (especially recently). The fact that the brand is part of the Zara group may put some people off, but it shouldn't; MD is definitely a big step up in quality. Many people where I live wear MD and it's a popular and well respected brand. But it is overpriced at full retail (same as almost all the other brands popular on this forum).

The fit can also be tricky. It is a Spanish brand, so "slim fit" is European slim; no vanity sizing with them. I'm a medium in almost every U.S. brand and I regularly reach for the large in MD to try on first. This is true of even their regular fit items, which are still cut much trimmer than a regular fit from a North American brand. And their pants in general are skinny (even if they say "straight fit"). Sport coat sizing seems pretty true to size (I'm a 38 to 40 Reg depending on the brand, and I take a 40 Reg in MD).

Here is a pic of my leather jacket from them.

Measurements for the large are:

Chest (armpit to armpit): 22.5"
              Top of shoulder seam to top of shoulder seam: 19"
              Sleeve length (top of shoulder seam to bottom of cuff): 26"
              Sleeve width at bicep: 8"
              Length (top back of collar to hem): 28"

Sorry, that may have been more info than you wanted. But, yes, I would recommend MD when it's on sale if you can get the sizing dialed in. Hope this helps!

Edited to add: If you are not in a rush, you can share links to the Massimo Dutti jackets you're interested in. Some time this week I can stop by their store here and if they have them in stock I can give you my feedback on them. I was in their store last week checking out the new arrivals. In the jackets, I needed a size large in these ones (fit was almost exactly the same as the leather jacket I own):

http://www.massimodutti.com/us/en/me...goryNav=680512

http://www.massimodutti.com/us/en/me...goryNav=680513

I didn't look at them too hard, but the quality of the ones I tried on seemed on par with my previous experiences with the brand. The leather one (last link) was particularly nice.
              Last edited by JohnG; April 11, 2016, 01:52 PM. Reason: To add a note

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1 View Post
                I just bought this khaki harrington style jacket recently:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...&pid=198987002

They also have a red nylon version. I think the navy nylon harrington sold out online. I bought the khaki cotton jacket for the same reason as you. I wanted something non-denim and non-navy to contrast more with blue jeans. I went with Gap because I had unused gift cards to redeem. Otherwise, I might have gone with Ben Sherman:

http://www.amazon.com/Ben-Sherman-Cl.../dp/B00M97CPIM

Target has harrington jackets too, and they were mentioned recently on dappered threads. Of course, you can always spend $400 for a Baracuta jacket.
                How do you like the Gap Harrington? I have been considering that jacket as an affordable spring jacket. My Gap closed in January so the closest GAP is two hours away. Typically GAP jackets have baggy arms, how is the fit on this one?

Comment

Originally posted by hapablap View Post
                  How do you like the Gap Harrington? I have been considering that jacket as an affordable spring jacket. My Gap closed in January so the closest GAP is two hours away. Typically GAP jackets have baggy arms, how is the fit on this one?
                  I'll let you know when it gets here. It should arrive by Wednesday. If I don't fall in love with it immediately, I will probably go to a few physical stores and see if I can find something else. I'm still deciding on what I want, but I probably won't get anything with a lot of pockets I will never use. Reminds me too much of cargo pants.

Comment

My trio of spring jackets are:

the "McKinley" canvas parka from Frank and Oak from a couple of years ago. I have it in khaki. Absolutely love it. Versatile, functional, really like the old-school parka style.

Filson Bell Bomber
                    . This seems to be pretty close to what you're looking for. Haven't worn it too much, but feels like a great jacket so far. Got it in the winter for maybe $115.

And finally, that which seems to be pretty polarizing in this thread, the Baracuta G9 Harrington in "petrol blue.". I'm immediately in love with it, but I also have a bit of a British outerwear fetish (Barbour, Aquascutum, Gloverall, and now this). It comes in a bunch of cool colors besides blue, especially hunter green. I got mine from that link, cheaper than J. Crew and free two-day shipping from the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
                      Hi
                      I may have more experience with Massimo Dutti than some others here simply because there is a store where I live so I buy from them fairly frequently. I own several sweaters, a couple of shirts and ties, some pants (these were the most disappointing items from them in terms of quality), a cotton bomber jacket (about 5 years old) and a leather jacket (about 2 years old). Never tried their footwear or their online customer service, so I can't offer any insights on those. Sweaters, shirts and ties have all held up great over 1 to 4 years. Color of the cotton bomber started to fade sooner than I would have expected, but the stitching and hardware have had no problems and I still wear the jacket today. The leather jacket has been great; sure, it's not the best quality leather but it conditions well and is developing a nice deeper color (not really a patina). I see it being in my closet for a long time. For comparison, I also own a John Varvatos leather jacket, and if it is an 8/10 then the MD one is a very close 7.5/10 at about half the price.

Quality wise, I find Massimo Dutti about equal to/slightly better than JCrew and better than BR (especially recently). The fact that the brand is part of the Zara group may put some people off, but it shouldn't; MD is definitely a big step up in quality. Many people where I live wear MD and it's a popular and well respected brand. But it is overpriced at full retail (same as almost all the other brands popular on this forum).

The fit can also be tricky. It is a Spanish brand, so "slim fit" is European slim; no vanity sizing with them. I'm a medium in almost every U.S. brand and I regularly reach for the large in MD to try on first. This is true of even their regular fit items, which are still cut much trimmer than a regular fit from a North American brand. And their pants in general are skinny (even if they say "straight fit"). Sport coat sizing seems pretty true to size (I'm a 38 to 40 Reg depending on the brand, and I take a 40 Reg in MD).

Here is a pic of my leather jacket from them.

Measurements for the large are:

Chest (armpit to armpit): 22.5"
                      Top of shoulder seam to top of shoulder seam: 19"
                      Sleeve length (top of shoulder seam to bottom of cuff): 26"
                      Sleeve width at bicep: 8"
                      Length (top back of collar to hem): 28"

Sorry, that may have been more info than you wanted. But, yes, I would recommend MD when it's on sale if you can get the sizing dialed in. Hope this helps!

Edited to add: If you are not in a rush, you can share links to the Massimo Dutti jackets you're interested in. Some time this week I can stop by their store here and if they have them in stock I can give you my feedback on them. I was in their store last week checking out the new arrivals. In the jackets, I needed a size large in these ones (fit was almost exactly the same as the leather jacket I own):

http://www.massimodutti.com/us/en/me...goryNav=680513

I didn't look at them too hard, but the quality of the ones I tried on seemed on par with my previous experiences with the brand. The leather one (last link) was particularly nice.
                      [MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] thanks for all the insight man, that was really helpful! If you don't mind, I'm going to take you up on that offer. Do you mind if I send you a couple links via PM about jackets I was interested in?

As far as the clothes being slim, that works perfectly for me, I'm 6'1 and 160lbs, so trim clothing ultimately works better for me. I haven't had much exposure to MD until yesterday when looking through their website, but I really liked the feel I got of the brand's style and the look they are going for in their various collections. So if continue to hear positive reviews on their stuff, I very well may start bringing them into my rotation of brands I regularly purchase from.

Originally posted by Snake Doctor View Post
                      My trio of spring jackets are:

the "McKinley" canvas parka from Frank and Oak from a couple of years ago. I have it in khaki. Absolutely love it. Versatile, functional, really like the old-school parka style.

Filson Bell Bomber
                      . This seems to be pretty close to what you're looking for. Haven't worn it too much, but feels like a great jacket so far. Got it in the winter for maybe $115.

And finally, that which seems to be pretty polarizing in this thread, the Baracuta G9 Harrington in "petrol blue.". I'm immediately in love with it, but I also have a bit of a British outerwear fetish (Barbour, Aquascutum, Gloverall, and now this). It comes in a bunch of cool colors besides blue, especially hunter green. I got mine from that link, cheaper than J. Crew and free two-day shipping from the UK.
                      Those are all nice looking jackets [MENTION=7367]Snake Doctor[/MENTION]. I'm not a big fan of that elongated bottom pocket on the Filson jacket, but besides that those were all nice looking pieces.

Comment

[MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] thanks for all the insight man, that was really helpful! If you don't mind, I'm going to take you up on that offer. Do you mind if I send you a couple links via PM about jackets I was interested in?

As far as the clothes being slim, that works perfectly for me, I'm 6'1 and 160lbs, so trim clothing ultimately works better for me. I haven't had much exposure to MD until yesterday when looking through their website, but I really liked the feel I got of the brand's style and the look they are going for in their various collections. So if continue to hear positive reviews on their stuff, I very well may start bringing them into my rotation of brands I regularly purchase from.

Those are all nice looking jackets [MENTION=7367]Snake Doctor[/MENTION]. I'm not a big fan of that elongated bottom pocket on the Filson jacket, but besides that those were all nice looking pieces.
                        Sure, no problem. Just send me links and any questions you have and I will do my best.

Comment

[MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] PM sent, thanks again.

To all the other thread contributors, if [MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] gets a chance to check a few of the MD jackets out in person, I'd be more than happy to share what he finds to all of you (assuming he doesn't do so himself).

Comment

Originally posted by hapablap View Post
                            The large has arms that are 5.75" wide at the cuff and 9" wide at the armpit seam measured perpendicular to the seam running down the arm. The cuff measurement was made with the sleeve buttoned. Unbottoning adds a few more inches. It is completely unlined and should be easy to alter the sleeve width. The armholes aren't too low.

Here are some other measurements in case you are interested. It has a very generous 51" circumference around the chest at the armpit seam. It might be too baggy for some people. It has a 42" sweep width at the bottom without expansion of the ribbing. The length is 26" from the bottom of the collar to the hem. The hem of the jacket falls about mid-way down the rise of my pants. The width is 20" across the shoulders measured seam to seam across the top.

The collar seems a little floppy, but I've never owned a jacket with this type of collar. It arrived very wrinkled. It's just a plain khaki twill gap jacket. Nothing fancy. That's what I was expecting; so, I think I'll keep it. I probably won't get it altered. The front side seams cut across the pockets; so, that might cause some problems if you wanted to take it in on the sides.

Hope that helps!

Comment

[MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] PM sent, thanks again.

To all the other thread contributors, if [MENTION=15090]JohnG[/MENTION] gets a chance to check a few of the MD jackets out in person, I'd be more than happy to share what he finds to all of you (assuming he doesn't do so himself).
                              [MENTION=12839]hillch12[/MENTION]: Got into Massimo Dutti yesterday and just sent you a PM. Feel free to share any of the info I sent to you with the rest of the community. Hope it helps!

Comment

Working...
                              X