Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dappered equivalent for home furnsihings/decor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dappered equivalent for home furnsihings/decor?

So I'll be graduating from grad school soon and taking a new job in DC (yay!). Do you guys know of or frequently visit websites that are similar to Dappered (i.e. focused on affordability and not too trendy), but for home decor. To be honest I don't have the slightest idea how to decorate well. I know a space I like when I see it, but don't know how to get there.

There are a couple of interesting subreddits if that's your kinda thing. Warning....if you thought clothes, shoes, and accessories became an expensive habit, wait until you start furnishing your place.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interiordesign
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DesignMyRoom/

Comment

It's not a regular read for me, but I have ended up here after googling on a few separate occasions.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/

Comment

I recommend apartmenttherapy.com, and I am a regular reader. It can get a little overstylized, they worship really expensive furniture sometimes, but has a LOT of good design info and DIY projects.

Another is Primer Magazine. It is a similar site as this one focused on affordable mens style, and seems like they do a lot of sponsored content on that front, but also includes life tips, furniture/arrangement/quality suggestions, and more manly DIY projects than apartment therapy.

Comment

I like apartment therapy a lot, for what it is, it's pretty good.

Comment

Wayfair.com to actually buy furniture

Comment

Just getting started take it slow. There is a tendency to fill your space. Similar to clothing buy quality on the main pieces like a sofa etc.when I bought my house I had one lamp I took it from room to room lol

In general I'd avoid ikea save for end tables and bookcases. It's crap that falls apart and isn't worth it. I'd recommend using craigslist to get higher end pieces that are actual wood.

Just find some good pictures etc that match your style. Hgtv has lots of user photos for references

Comment

actually if you want to try to generate some looks, you shoudl go on pinterest and look through for users whom have styles you are interested in, then you can find endless amounts of things.

Much like style, decorating is so subjective, it's hard to get into the right thing you like without knowing what its called.

Comment

https://www.decorist.com/lp/style-quiz/

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread, but www.houzz.com was a big help for finding looks and styles I liked when I set up my new home. Good filters in the search to help you dial in styles you may like.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. Taking things slow makes sense. I've made more than a few mistakes in learning to dress better and would prefer to avoid that where possible with furnishings. Is there a way to try out certain styles. For example, I've worn the hell out of the JCP wingtips and once I have some income may look to upgrade on the quality front.

Comment

I'm in a similar boat. I own absolutely no living room furniture. It all belongs to my current roommate.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                          Similar to clothing buy quality on the main pieces like a sofa etc.
                          Sofas take a lot of wear and tear and in my experience do not hold up long-term regardless of quality (unless relegated to a formal living room you don't actually use). My view of sofas now is that they are disposable. I'll buy more affordable and replace more often rather than spend 4 times as much and pray that I get 4 times as much use from it. I feel like the gap in quality between decent sofas (not the super-cheap ones) and sofas that cost 2-3 times as much is not that large.

There are potential exceptions to this (i.e. you could potentially buy and keep a vintage Victorian couch for 100 years, reupholstering periodically), but for most couch styles, I think the low-mid price point is probably the sweet spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dismal Science View Post
                            Is there a way to try out certain styles.
                            www.ikea.com
                            www.target.com

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                              Just getting started take it slow. There is a tendency to fill your space. Similar to clothing buy quality on the main pieces like a sofa etc.when I bought my house I had one lamp I took it from room to room lol

In general I'd avoid ikea save for end tables and bookcases. It's crap that falls apart and isn't worth it. I'd recommend using craigslist to get higher end pieces that are actual wood.

Just find some good pictures etc that match your style. Hgtv has lots of user photos for references
                              IKEA is not making heirloom pieces, but their stuff serves a purpose. I bought all my furniture from IKEA when I graduated college, and now, 15 years later, most of it is gone but I do have a computer desk that gets used every day. Nothing I bought fell apart. Sure, I could have spent 3 times as much on a really nice coffee table but by now it would be beat up from moving 4 times and I might be tired of it. Just don't overthink it. Buy a nice couch, a nice bed, but if you need a lamp or a dresser back in a guest bedroom, go to IKEA. And if you are in a place where you have room mates or you're going to move 2-3 times, IKEA is like that beater car that gets you from A to B, but you aren't waxing the damn thing weekly and you don't really care if someone dings the door in a parking lot. There is something to that.

Comment

Working...
                              X