No announcement yet.

Anyone heard of Thursday Boot Company?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of Thursday Boot Company?

Does anyone on here own a pair of boots/shoes from Thursday Boot company? I randomly found them on IG and their products look damn good, the leather quality looks decent and the shapes are timeless. Just wondering on durability and actual quality before I make a move and grab a pair of chukkas or chelseas. LINK: http://thursdayboots.com/

mixed reviews from the reddit GYW group, which is notoriously picky. for $200, i really don't know what they are going to expect man.

The marketing pics on their website seem to look really great!

I seem to recall most of their main complaints were just sloppy and inconsistent craftsmanship, and some pairs were worse than others. The materials were genera`lly not an issue. I would say this is about average for the price range. I guess they're made in mexico (which is of course better than china).

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...ally_that_bad/.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...l_cxl_and_why/
    Last edited by evanparker; March 29th, 2016, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Those diplomat boots in brown look fantastic. They are on my short list to try this year. Free shipping and returns so not much risk.

Comment

I've been subscribed to them on Instagram for awhile and their boots look excellent for the price point. They have an Indy style boot I might grab soon.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
          mixed reviews from the reddit GYW group, which is notoriously picky. for $200, i really don't know what they are going to expect man.

The marketing pics on their website seem to look really great!

I seem to recall most of their main complaints were just sloppy and inconsistent craftsmanship, and some pairs were worse than others. The materials were genera`lly not an issue. I would say this is about average for the price range. I guess they're made in mexico (which is of course better than china).

https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...ally_that_bad/.
          https://www.reddit.com/r/goodyearwel...l_cxl_and_why/
          MiC is not a big deal anymore, and I would never think made in Mexico is superior to made in China. The complaints surrounding TBC was that it was all bad, not just a failure to live up to high expectations. Materials were cheap compared to boots at similar price points, and construction wasn't up to par. It was supposed to be a poor man's Alden, as the kickstarters all seem to be, but it never lived up to the hype. I don't personally own a pair, as I like to wait for reviews to pour through before purchasing, and the reviews scared me off from ever buying from TBC.

Comment

I have the Captain boots in brown (the ones linked by Evan above). I think the boots are awesome and a great value at $200. The leather is very soft and high quality, and they were unbelievably comfortable right out of the box. I wore them all winter and they have held up very well, and look even better now that there are some scuffs and creases in the leather. I get positive comments all the time, even from people that I wouldn't think would even notice what I'm wearing. I would highly recommend and am looking into buying more pairs for myself.

Comment

I was eyeing these as well.

This review and the followup pretty much put me off.

Comment

Originally posted by ImagePree View Post
                I actually don't understand that review. The "wonky stitching" looks like normal stitching. I think the expectations there were unrealistic. You're going to have (and want) some overlap where the stitching starts/ends, and the thread is going to "fray" where it's cut.

The blemishes on the leather seemed really minor. I've seen worse, and leather is generally somewhat imperfect, since it's literally animal skin. Maybe the imperfections look worse in person, though.

The creasing on the tongue was the worst of the things called out in the review and even that didn't look noticeable.

I'd be wary of TBC based on some of the other reviews (including that year end follow up you linked) but not this one. On the other hand there are some definite positive reviews as well.
                Last edited by dpark; March 29th, 2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION]
                  Well, it was actually this line that sealed it for me: "Comfort level went down over time instead of up."

Comment

[MENTION=11878]ImagePree[/MENTION], that's my biggest worry about them as well. They build boots out of EVA like they're athletic shoes. Athletic shoes tend to decline in comfort over time.

To be clear, though, I was referring to the unboxing review by "nnnatedawg". The year-end follow up with the comfort comment was from a different user, "MjoLniRXx".

Comment

[MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION]
                      Understood.

Here's one where the boot was cut in half showing the innards. http://www.heddels.com/2014/10/thurs...t-boot-review/

Comment

I have their Scout chukka, and I love it. Great quality for the price imo. A lot of the negative on Reddit seemed to be from their kick starter campaign though so maybe they have straightened issues out since 2014. At the price I think they are pretty great though, like I said. Good leather, good weight to them, super comfortable. The leather absorbed conditioner and cream well, which I always take as a good sign. Can't speak on longevity yet, but they seem pretty solid. Much better than some of the Florsheims I tried before hand for the same price range before sales.

Comment

Originally posted by jle058 View Post
                          Does anyone on here own a pair of boots/shoes from Thursday Boot company? I randomly found them on IG and their products look damn good, the leather quality looks decent and the shapes are timeless. Just wondering on durability and actual quality before I make a move and grab a pair of chukkas or chelseas. LINK: http://thursdayboots.com/
                          I was a big fan of TBC. I purchased a pair of brown Captains in November, and they held up great all winter. They were initially a bit shiny, but once that dulled, they became some of my favorite shoes. There was one small stitching imperfection that most would not even notice. I thought the quality was spot on for the price, and I subsequently bought a wallet from them that has also worked great. I have received compliments from no less than 15 people on them, which is significantly more than any other pair of shoes I own (and that includes 7 pairs of Allen Edmonds).

But over the past two weeks, my view of TBC has changed. I purchased a pair of black Commander boots, and when they arrived, I began inspecting one of them. There were approximately ten scuffs and noticeable imperfections in the leather and stitching. I did not even pull the second one out. Seeing no easy way to print a return label, I contacted TBC about getting a label. They responded the next day requesting that I send them pictures of the boots for them to inspect before they would give me a return label. That is a pretty unacceptable request of a repeat customer just 10 days after receipt when the return policy for reimbursement is 10 days after receipt. I sent them eight pictures, each picture showing at least one of the scuffs/imperfections on the single boot and told them I have not even removed the other from its sealed plastic wrap. That was 9 hours ago, and I still haven't received a return label or even a response to the pictures. I understand that it is a small company that can't afford to absorb shipping costs for people to continuously order and send back, but I am very dissatisfied with this third experience with TBC and will be very unlikely to order from them in the future.

That being said, some of their styles are sold on Amazon with free return shipping, which is one way for you to try their product without dealing with the company directly. I am still happy with my Captain boots for $200. I believe their brown chukkas are one of the few styles listed on Amazon.

Comment

Im a fan, I think all of their boots look great. Similar boots are double the price but only slightly higher quality, and the diminishing returns on quality dont justify spending the extra money to me.

Comment

Any pair of shoes can look great with a ton of polish, some professional photography, and some photoshop. I think most pairs of DSW house shoes look better than most pairs of Alden's online.

Here's my problem: it seems like most people who have actually TRIED these boots are saying that there are noticeable quality/durability issues. That might be OK, since they're cheaper than some alternatives. But is $200 really that cheap for a shoe with well-documented issues? For what's essentially a stepping stone shoe--i.e. something that won't last forever and will probably be eventually replaced by the more expensive, full-quality solution?

I'd rather not spend $200 for something that I know has problems with it and will eventually be replaced. But for $50 (i.e. the Stafford Deacon)? Absolutely. Otherwise, I think this is a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                              X