Target's Merona Harrington 'style' coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TMann View Post
    Since we're talking about Harrington's: Does a jacket have to have a stand-up collar with button closures and gathered wrist/waist to be a "Harrington"? I've seen similar styles of jacket with different collars and non-gathered sleeves being referred to as Harringtons. Not that it matters, but I was just curious.

This is obviously a "Harrington":

Is this still a "Harrington"?:

I've seen jackets with stand up, button collars and shirt collars (like the Y3 in the Bond pic) both referred to as Harringtons, so I always assumed the name had more to do with the length and cut of the jacket. I've seen the button collar referred to as a barracuda (which I assume is a play on Baracuta) but I've not seen the term used for a jacket with a shirt or point collar. So I guess James Dean red jacket from Rebel without a Cause (point collar) would be a Harrington while McQueen's would be a barracuda Harrington.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
      I would say that is not a Harrington. It's just a jacket. It doesn't have the collar. It doesn't have the elastic cuffs or waist. I can't tell from the picture if it even has the right pockets. There's basically nothing that makes this identifiable as a Harrington. It doesn't even have raglan sleeves.

Clothing manufacturers tend to misuse names a lot. I assume they do this because they think it either makes the products more appealing, inexplicably, or because they think consumers would identify the product with that name, even if it's not really correct.
      I stand corrected; most definitions out there state the Baracuta G9 = Harrington (it's only called a "Harrington" because, quoting Gentlemen's Gazette, "a Baracuta G9 was worn by the actor Ryan O’Neal while essaying the role of Rodney Harrington in the TV series Peyton Place." So I guess, technically, the G4 is not a Harrington since it lacks the elasticized knit cuffs and hem.

Learn something new everyday!

Edited to add to the confusion:
      Well, maybe I wasn't completely wrong. The same Gentlemen's Gazette post then goes on to use exactly the same Bond pic as above, and states "Daniel Craig wearing a variation of the Harrington without elastics." I think the folks over at GG got their pictures mixed up and meant to use this one:

Last edited by JohnG; March 30, 2016, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
        I stand corrected; most definitions out there state the Baracuta G9 = Harrington (it's only called a "Harrington" because, quoting Gentlemen's Gazette, "a Baracuta G9 was worn by the actor Ryan O’Neal while essaying the role of Rodney Harrington in the TV series Peyton Place." So I guess, technically, the G4 is not a Harrington since it lacks the elasticized knit cuffs and hem.

Learn something new everyday!

Edited to add to the confusion:
        Well, maybe I wasn't completely wrong. The same Gentlemen's Gazette post then goes on to use exactly the same Bond pic as above, and states "Daniel Craig wearing a variation of the Harrington without elastics." I think the folks over at GG got their pictures mixed up and meant to use this one:

That's pretty funny. It's in the same vein as why the Alden 403 are called "Indy's". I hope some day, "Slater's" will be a common term.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
          Yeah. $400 for what is essentially a poly-cotton wind breaker is a lot. Ben Sherman seems to have more reasonable pricing, but no apparently doesn't allow returns from the US for some reason.
          I have the Ben Sherman Harrington. Picked it up on sale for $70 or something a while back. If you can find a Ben Sherman brick and mortar, they're closing up all of their physical locations, I believe. You may be able to find one for cheap in store. And to my knowledge, their jackets are all-cotton. Anyways, I get compliments on it all the time. Got it in dark green and it's a perfect breezy weather jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
            I have the Ben Sherman Harrington. Picked it up on sale for $70 or something a while back. If you can find a Ben Sherman brick and mortar, they're closing up all of their physical locations, I believe. You may be able to find one for cheap in store. And to my knowledge, their jackets are all-cotton. Anyways, I get compliments on it all the time. Got it in dark green and it's a perfect breezy weather jacket.
            The Ben Sherman jackets are cotton. Baracuta is 50/50 Cotton/Poly.

If there were a Ben Sherman store near me, I'd probably take a look, but it seems like the nearest is LA. Their site doesn't even show any in the US.

Comment

are the baracuta ones WAXED? or am i imagining that

Comment

I'll note that even though it's a cotton poly blend the Merona is still fairly soft feeling.

I'd love one in british racing green. Khaki looks a bit to boring while the dark blue when worn with jeans or navy slacks makes me look like a gas station attendant (if they still existed).

Comment

Thanks for the tip--have been eyeing one of these now for a few weeks (unfortunately, word on the street is that the Ben Sherman stores in NY are out of them in any normal sizes).

Has anyone tried JCF's version?: https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...olor_name=navy

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                    are the baracuta ones WAXED? or am i imagining that
                    The standard Baracuta G9s are not waxed. Recently a waxed cotton version was offered, however.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      anybody seen a jacket like this but with a regular collar...or smaller button flap? the target jacket collar flap was just waving around in my way all the time. A little more like this one but not quite as....awful
                      JohnG listed some nice jackets. Here's one more that you may want to consider:

The Sur Thing Jacket by Territory Ahead.

I've owned a couple of these over the years and they've worked well for me. There are a number of differences compared to the classic Barracuta Harrington, but they're similar. I like the stand-up collar minus the button closure; it isn't quite as "floppy" as some of the other ones out there.

EDIT: It's currently on sale for ~$45 ($59.50 minus 25% with code: TA49115.)

Last edited by TMann; March 31, 2016, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the lousy pic with a non-matching T-shirt, but I ended up getting one a Merona Harrington in khaki this afternoon. I normally wear a size 40 suit jacket and I got a size small. It's trim, but not tight. The outer shell is a 70/30 cotton/polyester mix and has a nice soft feel to it. The inner lining is a 65/35 polyester/cotton mix. The collar is substantial enough to stand up easily without being "floppy".

It's not an exquisite piece by any means...but it's well constructed, comfortable and well worth the $40 I paid for it. I don't expect to wear it that often, as I have a couple of other light coats that I wear. But it'll be a good for those cool spring evenings when I need a light-colored coat.

Comment

Originally posted by TMann View Post
                          I normally wear a size 40 suit jacket and I got a size small. It's trim, but not tight.
                          Well I guess that rules out this jacket for me. Size 40 wearing a small means I'd need an extra extra small or maybe even an extra extra extra small.

Comment

I was really excited when I saw this but the small is too small in the chest for me and the sleeves on the medium are about 2 inches too long. Major bummer because I would wear the hell out of this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by lsugolfer23 View Post
                              I was really excited when I saw this but the small is too small in the chest for me and the sleeves on the medium are about 2 inches too long. Major bummer because I would wear the hell out of this thing.
                              The Target version is obviously the main topic of this thread, but if you're fine with the knit cuffs and hem, then beige or blue Harrington/barracuda jackets for $25 to $100 are pretty common. A quick search on Shopstyle showed these ones:

GAP: http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=198987002

ASOS: http://us.asos.com/Brave-Soul-Summer...8/?iid=6128801

Lambretta: http://us.asos.com/Lambretta-Harring...z/?iid=6371938

JCF: https://factory.jcrew.com/mens_cloth...9559/E9559.jsp

Tommy Hilfiger: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/t...ket?ID=1938107

That's not even including the options you could find on Amazon.

Just wanted to add one that's been popular on another forum: this one from Marks and Spencer:
                              http://www.marksandspencerlondon.com...P22429427.html

People liked it because it does not have the knit cuffs and hem. It's $79, but M&S offers free shipping to the U.S. on orders over $50 and delivery in 3-5 days, with duties, etc included in the price.
                              Last edited by JohnG; April 17, 2016, 12:43 PM. Reason: Just some corrections to links, spelling

Comment

Working...
                              X