Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding tuxedo rent or buy

Hello all,

I am going to get married in the beginning of July of this year and my fiancé wants me to wear a tux. We started looking at tux rentals shops when I got the idea of doing some research. Searching online I found Combatant Gentlemen which offers tuxes for $200 not much more than a decent rental.

Based on reading this forum, I know about Indochino and Suit Supply, which seem to be better quality but their tuxes are more then twice as expensive. I don't see this tux getting much use after the wedding so I'd rather save money.

I am 5'11 and weight <160lb and have thicker legs then average men my size from riding a bike. I have a slight allergy to wool so I'll probably want to get the pant legs silk lined.

The wedding will be in San Jose, so I expect it to be very hot the day of the event. The ceremony will be outdoors but thankfully the reception will be in an air conditioned hall.

Should I rent or buy?

Thanks for the help. I'm new to this forum and am look forward to participating.

Your own wedding? Buy and have it tailored.

Get a cheap one and have it tailored. You'll look good.

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
      Your own wedding? Buy and have it tailored.

Get a cheap one and have it tailored. You'll look good.
      +1 Yep. Even buying a cheap one from JC Penny and having it tailored for you would look better than most rentals.
      We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Are you going to need a tux ever again? If so I'd buy. I'd recommend checking your local Macy's etc. I got mine there and had more money for tailoring it and accessories. Unless you're wearing several times a year you can find a nice tux and have it tailored for under 200 I believe.

If it is going to be hot I'd recommend getting two shirts and doing a ward robe change between.

Comment

It's a tough one. It's one of those things you will be looking for an excuse to wear again. That said, trying to find a reason to wear a tux is better than being anxious about an event you don't have a tux for. And, you may finding yourself wanting to go to events... it's like buying dance shoes in that you end up taking lessons to use the shoes.

The main reason to buy for your own wedding is to get it tailored to fit well. I would have done this had I known the difference.

Comment

Yes, this is for my own wedding. I worn a tux maybe three times in my life but $200 plus tailoring is not a huge expense, especially in the context of how much I'm paying for this wedding. Plus as ianmichaelray says once I have it I'm sure to have an excuse to wear it again.

Does anyone have experience with Combatant Gentlemen tuxes? Price seem too good to be true.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Shapiro View Post
              Does anyone have experience with Combatant Gentlemen tuxes? Price seem too good to be true.
              Not with their tuxes, but I have several other items from them. I like everything I have from them, and I think they are a great deal. You may get some comments from people about bad or questionable experiences with them, but mine have been great. Every order I've made when the product was in stock has shipped right away. I live in socal, near them, so when I make orders, I have received the item the next day.

As far as their tuxes, if you like the style that they offer them in, then I think it would be a good buy. They do not currently offer a traditional one buttom peak or shawl tuxedo, so they don't offer one that I would purchase.

Comment

I also only have experience with other CG items, but they have been acceptable, especially for the price. Tuxedos may be an special area for price considering the used ones out there. That is, people definitely do tailor these things to themselves for their wedding and never wear them again, creating a glut of lightly-used tuxedos. Good suits, OTOH, are usually worn to the point it being obviously used. But, as far as new items go, CG is quite reasonably priced for what you get, IMO.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Would prefer a peak collar and no vents on the jacket back but for $200 I think it is worth a try.

I'll order a CG a tux, when/if they ever get my size in-stock. When I receive it I will post some pictures and my opinion on it.

Comment

I have zero experience with it but my Buddy is looking into this site for his wedding https://theblacktux.com/. For what it is worth I purchased a Tux a handful of years ago based on the thought that I would probably wear it enough to pay for itself (vs renting) but the only times I have ever needed it were for other peoples weddings.... which is useless because you have to wear what the rest of the party wears (when you are in the wedding). I probably could have worn it to a few New Year's parties, etc but suits always seem to be a better fit for that.

Comment

Yes, this is for my own wedding. I worn a tux maybe three times in my life but $200 plus tailoring is not a huge expense, especially in the context of how much I'm paying for this wedding. Plus as ianmichaelray says once I have it I'm sure to have an excuse to wear it again.
                      First, congratulations!

Just to look at this from a different perspective:

My experience has been that 99% of the wedding is about the bride (just to state the obvious). Knowing this going into my own wedding, I looked for a few "me" moments during the planning and the event itself. A big one for me was getting my own tux. I made a special afternoon out of the fitting, having a nice single malt while I was at the tailor's, then picking up my shirt, cufflinks, tie, etc., and finally meeting a couple of friends at a cigar bar for a few drinks and laugh. Basically, it was an afternoon when I focused on what I wanted. Nothing crazy, just some time to reflect, decompress, and actually enjoy the experience of "getting married" without having to think about place settings, dinner menus, guest lists, etc.

Comment

Just saw the J Crew factory sale that ends today. They have the FACTORY PEAK-LAPEL TUXEDO (https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-cloth...lor_name=black) and pants for $200 after (HEYSPRING discount code). I hate the flaps over the pockets but I think a tailor could remove them or I could tuck them into the jacket. Any idea if this tux is any good? Or how it compare to CG tux?

Thinking of ordering J Crew and CG tuxes to see which fits better.

I love the internet and free returns
                        Last edited by Leon Shapiro; March 28, 2016, 01:55 PM. Reason: Noticed the flaps in the jacket

Comment

My initial reaction is probably go with the CG over the JCF one. The uncovered buttons on the JCF one makes it look more like a suit jacket than a tuxedo. But yeah no harm in ordering both to see which one fits better
                          Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

You could always replace the buttons with satin covered ones

Comment

I got a "Braveman" tux (including pants) for $59.99 from Groupon and it looks ridiculously awesome. Midnight blue with a shawl collar. Sure, it's not the best quality, but I will never rent a tux again after finding something like this. Paying $200-$250 for a rental that fits like crap from Jos A Banks or Men's Warehouse is the worst.

Comment

Working...
                              X