Favorite navy blazer combination?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
    Just a colorblind guy wondering why you choose brown shoes with the grey pants. Isn't black the better option for grey pants? Is the navy blazer the reason?
    My thoughts on this:

1) Brown is preferable to black on any occasion in which brown goes to even a minimal extent. Black is never good; the best it manages is be is not bad.
    2) Black is definitely the wrong choice with light grey or any fabric other than wool.
    3) Black is probably the wrong choice with medium grey and even with the lighter end of dark grey.
    4) Black may be the right choice with charcoal (i.e. very dark grey). But, even then, very dark brown or a darker burgundy - one that isn't too red - might still be better.

I guess I'm opinionated but unconventional on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi View Post
      Lol, I have 5 different shades of Browns (corduroy, guncheck, Windowpane, houndstooth), 4 greys/charcoals (tweed, herringbone, corduroy, nail head, etc) , another blue window pain I forgot about.

So I have options, but I love the navies the most!
      Fair enough -- that's quite the sportcoat selection! I'm in suits more often than not, so haven't focused on them, but am starting to wear them more often. In addition to the blues, I have a brown (with blue plaid), grey cord, tan/brown linen glen plaid, and have a blue/grey check incoming (along with some new suits). I do want to get a guncheck (thanks mainly to seeing one posted in WIWT that is badass) and probably some sort of tweed (TBD on color) for fall/winter. Maybe after that a light blue with windowpane or something funky like that. Blues are definitely easiest to pair and just look [email protected]

Comment

This is me in a navy blazer. I prefer to wear a navy blazer with gray pants that are significantly lighter in color than the navy jacket. The rest is just details. Also looks good with tan/light brown pants.
        My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
          My thoughts on this:

1) Brown is preferable to black on any occasion in which brown goes to even a minimal extent. Black is never good; the best it manages is be is not bad.
          2) Black is definitely the wrong choice with light grey or any fabric other than wool.
          3) Black is probably the wrong choice with medium grey and even with the lighter end of dark grey.
          4) Black may be the right choice with charcoal (i.e. very dark grey). But, even then, very dark brown or a darker burgundy - one that isn't too red - might still be better.

I guess I'm opinionated but unconventional on this topic.
          Have you tried wearing a nice pair of sleek black chelseas or similar shoe to go with your mid-gray pants? You may be surprised. I love my Black AE Fifth Streets, I wear them quite often with my trimmer-cut gray pants. A standard look I wore last fall was navy leather jacket/navy sportcoat, white Spier & Mackay OCBD, gray Epaulet hopsack pants, and the black Fifth Street boots.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
            Fair enough -- that's quite the sportcoat selection! I'm in suits more often than not, so haven't focused on them, but am starting to wear them more often. In addition to the blues, I have a brown (with blue plaid), grey cord, tan/brown linen glen plaid, and have a blue/grey check incoming (along with some new suits). I do want to get a guncheck (thanks mainly to seeing one posted in WIWT that is badass) and probably some sort of tweed (TBD on color) for fall/winter. Maybe after that a light blue with windowpane or something funky like that. Blues are definitely easiest to pair and just look [email protected]
            I luckily thrifted and awesome Brooks brothers guncheck for $30 at a good will. Fit perfect off the rack!

I have to wear a jacket every day and I don't like suits as much (too formal), so coats are my thing. I also live in 4 season territory, so some of those are strictly warm or cold weather gear. I also have to get rid of some... They all don't fit well.

I'd like to have 3 navy, 2 brown and 1 grey in both seasonal weights, so 12 (6 cold and 6 warm weather) all together.

Anyway, navy is the easiest to match with. Add grey pants and your shirt tie combo are endless.

Comment

Just a colorblind guy wondering why you choose brown shoes with the grey pants. Isn't black the better option for grey pants? Is the navy blazer the reason?
              Generally I prefer brown shoes to black (and generally brown hues to black); I think it matches my complexion/coloring look better. I do own and wear black shoes but it trends outfits to more formal, which is rarely what I'm trying to do when wearing odd coat and slacks. If I want to be more formal, I'll wear a suit. For what it's worth, I don't own any black casual shoes (boots, Chelsea boots, etc.) either.

Comment

I favor brown too. More interesting look in Mt opinion. Black isn't bad, but a nice brown is sweet.

Comment

Navy blazer with gray, brown, taupe, olive, tan wool trousers or chinos. A great option for warm weather is also off-white or white.

I actually like black shoes here and there (really like my black AE tassels!) but the Navy jacket works best with brown.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                    If you're going for an "one blazer to rule them all" approach, I'd personally suggest a navy that is a little lighter in shade and not a midnight navy (but don't go cobalt blue), have a little texture (vs. a smooth worsted wool) and go with brown horn buttons over brass/metal.
                    Technically, that makes it a blue sport coat, not a blazer...which matters absolutely nothing. Last year, I took an orphaned (gasp!) navy suit jacket and replaced the buttons with brown horn, and it is probably the most versatile piece in my wardrobe. The fabric has a _very_ subtle pattern that makes it less formal.
                    But I think everyone should have at least 3 or 4 blue blazers/ sport coats, along with 8 pairs of shoes, 42 ties, 9 belts and 34 shirts :-)

Comment

Originally posted by yogi View Post
                      I'd like to have 3 navy, 2 brown and 1 grey in both seasonal weights, so 12 (6 cold and 6 warm weather) all together.
                      Couldn't it be 3 blue, 2 brown, and 1 grey? Then for the cold-weather jackets, you could divide the blue into two navy, one slightly lighter blue, and for the warm-weather jackets, one navy, one somewhat lighter blue, one much lighter blue.

Comment

I do like the look of the AE Fifth Street, and while I'd be more inclined to buy it in brown if I did buy it, I can see that the black looks pretty sleek.

My previous post was overstated for effect. I am not a fan of black shoes, but I'm also not a fan of the color navy and I just bought a navy trench coat and a navy top coat and am quite happy with both of them! One day, I'll try a black chelsea or dress boot and no doubt I'll love it!

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                        Have you tried wearing a nice pair of sleek black chelseas or similar shoe to go with your mid-gray pants? You may be surprised. I love my Black AE Fifth Streets, I wear them quite often with my trimmer-cut gray pants. A standard look I wore last fall was navy leather jacket/navy sportcoat, white Spier & Mackay OCBD, gray Epaulet hopsack pants, and the black Fifth Street boots.

Comment

Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                          Couldn't it be 3 blue, 2 brown, and 1 grey? Then for the cold-weather jackets, you could divide the blue into two navy, one slightly lighter blue, and for the warm-weather jackets, one navy, one somewhat lighter blue, one much lighter blue.
                          Yup! Was just thinking about that as I am looking for a bright or light blue Sumner wool blazer/SC

There is an interesting post on styleforum. It's 5 jackets and 10 tie challenge. I'd like to move to a minimal wardrobe like that. 5 or 6 jackets, 10 shirts, 10 Ties, 7 pants, 6 shoes (not including sneakers and hiking/snow boots).

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post
                            Technically, that makes it a blue sport coat, not a blazer...which matters absolutely nothing. ...
                            In that case, I don't like or own a navy blazer and find them pretty antiquated. Either you look like a country club fogey, yacht captain or prep school boy, none of which are my intended look.

Comment

I like my light grey linen-cotton jacket for Summer. Mine is a Stafford but I like the lighter weight and more refined look of the BR or JCF options.

I still struggle with the navy blazer. I just thrifted one last week, but the only I have that works with it is med gray wool and khaki chinos. I like the concept, but I like navy wool pants too. Maybe I would just spring for a navy suit instead and grab a second pair of pants. Same thing with charcoal.

Comment

You're right, black naturally looks better with grey, and the navy jacket is the reason for the brown shoes, as navy and black usually look bad together. Though in this case they are far apart enough that it doesn't matter a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X