Closet purging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closet purging

While my wardrobe has significantly improved in the previous year, I still find myself having moments where I think to myself, "I have nothing good to wear" or worse, "I hate everything in my closet". I was poring over stuff in my closet for the umpteenth time a little while ago and realized I should just get rid of some stuff that I didn't like. So I suppressed my hoarding instincts as best I could and grabbed a few items I either don't wear much, never wore at all, or never want to wear again, and pulled them aside to donate. Felt good, man. Almost as good as buying new clothes. And aside from freeing up closet space and forcing me to be more deliberate in what I buy and wear, the clothes will help out the needy, so it's a win-win.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to add to the therapeutic nature of the purging by sharing it with everyone. I got rid of a couple polos that were too long and too big in the waist, which I used to wear regularly without a care. Dumped a couple of pairs of jeans I'm retroactively embarrassed I used to wear (I think one of them had 10" leg openings...ugh). A couple of decent sweaters, but I've got better options now so they were just excess. Next round of purging, my goal is to get rid of my ugly stripey button up shirts I bought when that stuff was cool (spoiler alert: it didn't make me any cooler).

TIP: Some of the stuff you purge could end up making good looking pocket squares!

Comment

Ah, forgot about that, good tip. Nothing I got rid of had many repurposing opportunities (unless I want to make some faded, worn denim ties), but I'll try and remember the arts-and-crafts angle next time. Also, if I ever want to dabble in tailoring my own clothes, I've got plenty of things to practice on.

Comment

I did that this winter. Now it's overflowing again. I'm gonna get one of those enclosed rolling wardrobes from Target and put it in the basement with fall / winter clothing.

Comment

I started the process, but never finished. In particular, I have 3 yellow buttoned shirts I never wear even though there's nothing wrong with them.

Comment

I'll probably purge some stuff this summer. And for me, I still have a bunch of clothes that I grew out of, but haven't yet donated.

Comment

I'm moving cross-country next week. There's a lot about to get axed.

Comment

I definitely need to do this. I have a dresser full of clothes I haven't so much as removed from said dresser since I moved into my apartment 2+ years ago... things from college, etc. that I'll simply never wear again and probably some things I'd be pretty embarrassed of now.

Comment

I did a closet purge over the past year. What I did was turn all of my hangers around backwards on the bar. If I wore something, I turned the hanger facing the right way. This way I could tell the items apart from the ones I wore versus the ones I didn't touch. The clothes that were still hanging on backwards hangers after each season got axed. I found out I was holding onto a lot of clothes with the "maybe I'll wear it some day" theory. If you can make it through 4 months without wearing a seasonally appropriate item, it's not work the space in your closet.

Comment

Did a big closet purge at the tail end of winter and it felt great. Simultaneously eliminating damn near your entire wardrobe by giving it to charity is a win-win. Getting by with some versatile essentials until Tabata and Stronglifts kill the last of my excess weight. Uniqlo and a quality tailor can really make a temporary wardrobe surprisingly cost effective.

Comment

I did a major wardrobe purge a few months ago. It started when I went down a shirt size, so I had to rebuy 99% of my shirts (out of 80 or so dress and casual button ups, I was able to salvage 5). Used that as the motivation to get rid of pants/jeans I wasn't wearing, shoes that were just sitting there, and t-shirts that were worn more as pajama/gym shirts than actual out and about wear. I'm still in the process of unloading it, but I went from having a double wide bedroom closet literally stuffed with clothing to utilizing only half that space.

Comment

80 shirts? Wow... and I thought I had a lot

Comment

Oh yes. And those were just button ups. Nevermind polos, sweaters, etc.

Comment

The biggest purge occurred when I moved into an apartment from a rental house a number of years ago. On the first pass, I donated 12 trash bags full of clothes. On the second pass, I purged nearly that much again. I never counted individual items, though. It was about a decade worth of clothes of all kinds.

Comment

Fortunately for several relatives, they're the same size or slightly bigger than I am, so they've made out like bandits during my purging. I'm also an avid ebayer, so even putting lots up of casual shirts from GAP, Express, Old Navy etc. generates some income. Better to have some than none at all. I certainly don't have it in my monthly budget to be replacing clothes as fast as I need to, so ebay money is a great help. What I've gathered now should last me through summer, and then in the fall I'll do a little splurging. I've also been picking up sweaters, etc. on clearance sales now that winter is over, and plan on just tucking them away until next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X